UConn asks federal court to dismiss Kevin Ollie's complaint | The Boneyard

UConn asks federal court to dismiss Kevin Ollie's complaint

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This. KO's representation has been a sheetshow. No idea a) whether they are in over their heads (although the firm does have a good labor law reputation); b) whether the combo of the union representation and private reputation has caused things to missed or have had incompatible goals; or c) whether KO has gone against attorney advice forcing them into tough positions.

I'd say possibly none of the above; or maybe a combination of all three of them. I think it's simply a hard case with some tough choices, given that his "contract" is an amalgam of the CBA and his own separate agreement with the University, and the two don't always dovetail nicely and cleanly.

As you know, I read the documents to provide the option not to go to arbitration at all, but to go to court instead, which I would have done here because it would have allowed all potential claims to be brought in the same proceeding (and I'm generally not a fan of arbitration anyway). By opting to stay in arbitration, Ollie arguably waives any other claims; and now if he pursues other claims he gives the University the right to pull the plug on the arbitration.

I still think that the most potentially promising claim is breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing, and it's not clear to me that they can even bring that claim now that they have chosen to stay in arbitration. As for the CHRO/EEOC claims, as I said when they filed this, I don't think the federal court can even do what they are asking to do, i.e., forgive them for missing a filing deadline for claims that they haven't filed. I think they should have either filed those claims timely in order to preserve them (even though they would have risked having the University pull the plug on the arbitration) or not filed them at all, effectively waiving them. The approach they settled on is like trying to be a little bit pregnant.

Reaction Score
I'd say possibly none of the above; or maybe a combination of all three of them. I think it's simply a hard case with some tough choices, given that his "contract" is an amalgam of the CBA and his own separate agreement with the University, and the two don't always dovetail nicely and cleanly.

As you know, I read the documents to provide the option not to go to arbitration at all, but to go to court instead, which I would have done here because it would have allowed all potential claims to be brought in the same proceeding (and I'm generally not a fan of arbitration anyway). By opting to stay in arbitration, Ollie arguably waives any other claims; and now if he pursues other claims he gives the University the right to pull the plug on the arbitration.

I still think that the most potentially promising claim is breach of the covenant of good faith and fair dealing, and it's not clear to me that they can even bring that claim now that they have chosen to stay in arbitration. As for the CHRO/EEOC claims, as I said when they filed this, I don't think the federal court can even do what they are asking to do, i.e., forgive them for missing a filing deadline for claims that they haven't filed. I think they should have either filed those claims timely in order to preserve them (even though they would have risked having the University pull the plug on the arbitration) or not filed them at all, effectively waiving them. The approach they settled on is like trying to be a little bit pregnant.
I know your legal knowledge far surpasses mine. Having said that, this was the route I predicted from day one. As a layman, it just seemed the most logical path. Call it the Sesame Street (One of these things is not like the other)defense.

Reaction Score
Hopefully counsel for KO filed the Complaint with sufficient factual and legal support - Federal Courts do not take lightly to the wasting of the Court's time with a lawsuit that lacks either of these two basis and the Judge may subject the party (KO) and/or his attorneys to sanctions if the Court determines that the action is baseless.

Additionally, Federal Courts have their own pretrial/settlement procedures staffed by Special Masters (usually experienced attorneys) and the Judge may order the parties to meet with a Master (or three) and make a good faith effort to resolve their differences, maybe coupling this order with a veiled threat or two about the Court's possible negative reaction to a lack of a settlement. The Court is aware this dispute is 'only' about money, that there is a cap as to how much KO can possibly receive, and that reasonable parties should be able to find the right number - it is never a good idea to chance the wrath of a Federal judge, they have great powers and will if so inclined use that power.

Reaction Score
A week and a half after former UConn men’s basketball coach Kevin Ollie filed a lawsuit alleging that the university illegally deterred him from submitting a complaint of racial discrimination, UConn has filed a motion to dismiss.

In its motion, filed Thursday in U.S. District Court, the university argues that the court does not have jurisdiction in the case and that even if it does, Ollie has “failed to satisfy the requisite legal standard for injunctive relief.”

At a hearing in Bridgeport on Friday, a judge heard arguments from both Ollie and the university and set another hearing for Jan. 25, allowing the parties more time to review the pertinent issues.

UConn files motion to dismiss Kevin Ollie complaint regarding racial discrimination - Hartford Courant

Reaction Score
KO breached his obligation to UConn by running the program into the ground with terrible recruiting. His case should be dismissed.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
KO is insane - torching the UConn bridge is going to cost him more than he will ever gain.
I wouldn't say insane... I dislike him as much as anyone on here but...

He singlehandedly took a top notch blue chip program from a NC to total irrelevance in 4 short years. With that kind of "record", I'm not sure if anyone would have wanted to hire a "loser" anyway. Given that it's possible he'd never be hired for a decent job any time soon, his only option in getting any money (other than going to work at Starbucks or Target etc), was to pursue the lawsuit to get some or all of his $10M.

I don't blame him for going after the $ - not sure how he could have fared better by letting it go - who in the basketball community was going to hire him? Still, count me among the folks who hope he gets $0...

Reaction Score
US District Court Bridgeport vs Hartford: After ollie's attorneys filed his lawsuit in US District Court in Hartford, why would UConn file to dismiss the suit in the sort of Park City vs in Hartford? Or, why not New Haven?

hc-1530133564-jxb5s3pj4w-snap-image

Last edited:
Reaction Score
KO breached his obligation to UConn by running the program into the ground with terrible recruiting. His case should be dismissed.
Yeah that doesn't hold up very well in court.
Unless the judge is one of us crazies on the BoneYard

Next will be a conflict of interest claim by Ollie's team ;)

Judge Dooley graduated from Cornell University with a B.A. in psychology in 1985. She graduated from the University of Connecticut, School of Law, cum laude, in 1988

Reaction Score
Shouldn't you be saving this opinion for the bench, Judge?
Not only that his recruiting was the one thing he did well-between the transfers and the 3 de commits, current squad would look good. I was hoping this wouldn't turn into one more litany of knuckle draggers saying the same thing again. But alas, I have over estimated the posters.

Reaction Score
UConn asks court to dismiss Ollie complaint

This thing is going to go on forever. I'm reluctantly posting this because I don't want to start another thread where everyone gives their opinion on whether Ollie should get his money or not. I just wish this thing would go away already.

Have only read this post so far, but...betting within 5 minutes in..."everyone gives their opinion on whether Ollie should get his money or not"

Reaction Score
KO is insane - torching the UConn bridge is going to cost him more than he will ever gain.

With 10 large, you can probably build a bridge wherever you wanna go?

Reaction Score
Not only that his recruiting was the one thing he did well-between the transfers and the 3 de commits, current squad would look good. I was hoping this wouldn't turn into one more litany of knuckle draggers saying the same thing again. But alas ...

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say insane... I dislike him as much as anyone on here but...

He singlehandedly took a top notch blue chip program from a NC to total irrelevance in 4 short years. With that kind of "record", I'm not sure if anyone would have wanted to hire a "loser" anyway. Given that it's possible he'd never be hired for a decent job any time soon, his only option in getting any money (other than going to work at Starbucks or Target etc), was to pursue the lawsuit to get some or all of his $10M.

I don't blame him for going after the $ - not sure how he could have fared better by letting it go - who in the basketball community was going to hire him? Still, count me among the folks who hope he gets $0...

Rick Pitino still gets jobs. Can I win any harder than that?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom