UConn and the Transfer Portal | Page 14 | The Boneyard

UConn and the Transfer Portal

Reaction Score
We can do a lot better than this Merrimac kid. Danny needs another Spencer to hope to compete next year for a Title.

Reaction Score
He played 10 games in his freshman year. Not sure why he was given a full redshirt.
You can play up to 30% and still get a redshirt waiver but you must be declared out for the season. Cam was the opposite. He missed time early then played 5 or 6 games late in the season.

Reaction Score
I like what Wolf brings to the floor and hope they get him here. Then see if they can add a defensive physical 5 that gives us a different look.
I’ll just cut and paste my original post about Wolf last month. He is a Hurley and UConn culture kind of player….

I have a friend with close connections to the IBBA and its national teams. He told me last summer that the IBBA raved about Wolf’s work ethic, smarts and team-first mentality in the U-20 silver medal run. If this kid doesn’t end up in the NBA, he won’t be going home to Chicago. He’ll likely have a long and distinguished career at Mac T.A. or Hapoel Jerusalem.

Having a seven footer who can shoot threes and drive to the hoop, along with Samson doing his rim running, would mark a third consecutive year of having two UConn centers with completely different skill sets to throw at opposing teams. One could dream.
The “do not contact” probably means it’s a done deal. This could be good news, or he could be going home to play for Northwestern. Yale very rarely takes transfers but had Simmons from Northwestern this year, maybe Collin’s is returning the favor.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You can play up to 30% and still get a redshirt waiver but you must be declared out for the season. Cam was the opposite. He missed time early then played 5 or 6 games late in the season.
He played in 10 games in 2019-20. The Billikens played 31 games that season. Thus he played in 32% of those games which is obviously more than 30%. That's what's confusing here.

Reaction Score
He played in 10 games in 2019-20. The Billikens played 31 games that season. Thus he played in 32% of those games which is obviously more than 30%. That's what's confusing here.
Hmmmm. I didn’t count how many games they played. I assumed it was below 30%. This was the year post season was cancelled due to COVID. Maybe they argued that SLU would/could have played 34+ games. Two conference tourney wins plus post season tournament appearance would have put him under 30%.

Reaction Score
This has probably been posted somewhere on here but I can't keep up with the threads recently.

"A lot of the players will have made decisions because we're not recruiting," Hurley said. "We may be listed by some players on some lists of having shown interest, but I know that I don't have interest right now because ... all you can focus on, I think with the way that we function as a program, is on our team and coaching the season, and then we'll make personnel moves once we're done coaching this group."

Alternate access:

How Dan Hurley and UConn manage college basketball transfer portal while focusing on NCAA title run

Reaction Score
This has probably been posted somewhere on here but I can't keep up with the threads recently.

"A lot of the players will have made decisions because we're not recruiting," Hurley said. "We may be listed by some players on some lists of having shown interest, but I know that I don't have interest right now because ... all you can focus on, I think with the way that we function as a program, is on our team and coaching the season, and then we'll make personnel moves once we're done coaching this group."

Alternate access:

How Dan Hurley and UConn manage college basketball transfer portal while focusing on NCAA title run

He addressed this during the Friday press conference. Hurley said Tom Moore was the de facto GM, making introductory phone calls to express interest. Hurley said he himself had only reached out to one high schooler.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
I’ll admit, I’m overwhelmed with this new “GM”, free agency part of college basketball. You want to just enjoy every part of the current ride to another championship, but you constantly check the portal and contemplate who’s staying or going. It’s a bit too much. I have about two wish lists and two different depth charts.

Reaction Score
CBS had him at 27, which was somehow one of the higher rankings. No idea how he was so under the radar nationally

Considering how many times Rutgers was on national TV It’s amazing no one saw him play. :rolleyes:

Their loss. Rankings should be used for guidance only. He would now be top 5.

Reaction Score
The Athletic had him at #9, and Vecenie loved the fit from the get go.

The top transfer portal commits and their fits so far

Vecenie is my favorite evaluator of basketball talent. He’s incredibly sharp. I mentioned in a different thread how he said we should be calling Gibson jimerson from saint louis and seeing this tweet only cements that Tom should make him a priority.

Reaction Score
So just out of curiosity, why do you think Hassan played 20 minutes a game and Solo got reduced to garbage time? Just that Hurley doesn’t understand hoops like you do?

I’m not knocking the young man. I think he’ll start next year and be good. But unless you know Diarra isn’t back, the thought that he’s going to supplant Hassan at the point just seems to fly in the face of what Hurley thought, what metrics showed us and how Diarra played.
I think (and hope) Hassan comes back next season. If he does, I think he’s a starter.

But, I would be lying if I said there wasn’t a tiny part of me that would miss Hassan coming off the bench.

Step 1, just get him back for next year.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Where did Hurley say that no one on UConn’s staff would be contacting any portal targets until they were done playing?
I think he said they wouldn't talk to kids still playing or kids not in the portal.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
I think (and hope) Hassan comes back next season. If he does, I think he’s a starter.

But, I would be lying if I said there wasn’t a tiny part of me that would miss Hassan coming off the bench.

Step 1, just get him back for next year.
In order to have some on the floor continuity next season, Hassan has to start or we gonna have 3 new starters at guard.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom