UConn and the Transfer Portal | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UConn and the Transfer Portal

Reaction Score
Gavin Griffiths (CT kid, chose Rutgers over us last year) just hit the portal too. Put up pretty mediocre numbers for a kid who was supposed to be a dynamite shooter but might be an interesting bench piece. Not sure if he will be getting many starting offers unless he dropped down a level

Reaction Score
Gavin Griffiths (CT kid, chose Rutgers over us last year) just hit the portal too. Put up pretty mediocre numbers for a kid who was supposed to be a dynamite shooter but might be an interesting bench piece. Not sure if he will be getting many starting offers unless he dropped down a level

Reaction Score

Idk if it was this thread or another, but that Rutgers insider on X (Richard Kent or something?) seemed to think he was Storrs-bound.

Reaction Score
Staring Dario Argento GIF

Reaction Score
In my little world, we get Derkack, Griffiths and Amari Williams out of the portal. We offer big NIL to Diarra and Karaban to stay. Minutes in parentheses.

Diarra (30)/Nowell (15)
Ball (20)/Derkack(15)
Stewart(30)/Griffiths(20)
Karaban (30)
Williams (20)/Johnson(20)

That's a well-rounded 9-man rotation. Can compete in 2024-25 while also building around the core of Nowell/Ball/Stewart/Griffiths for 25-26.

Reaction Score
On the surface I agree. I do wonder about his cultural fit. But our staff is careful about that, so I'm not concerned if we do offer.
Yeah if our staff offers someone I trust them. I doubt Storr happens but Dercack and Griffiths seems possible and I'd take that in the backcourt

Reaction Score
We have to go on the premise that Hurley will prioritize fit and culture into who he takes out of the portal. And that is very difficult for us on here to assess. So we can't just comment on the talent and say we want that player. In Hurley I trust. I'll just sit back and watch.

Reaction Score
In my little world, we get Derkack, Griffiths and Amari Williams out of the portal. We offer big NIL to Diarra and Karaban to stay. Minutes in parentheses.

Diarra (30)/Nowell (15)
Ball (20)/Derkack(15)
Karaban (30)

That's a well-rounded 9-man rotation. Can compete in 2024-25 while also building around the core of Nowell/Ball/Stewart/Griffiths for 25-26.
Nowell will be playing more than 15 MPG. He is the real deal

Reaction Score
Nowell will be playing more than 15 MPG. He is the real deal

Yup. I'd expect some of Diarra, Nowell and a big shooting guard at the 3 when Stewart sits. I'd be surprised if Nowell isn't playing more than 20mpg.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

Diarra (30)/Nowell (15)
Ball (20)/Derkack(15)
Karaban (30)

Want Solo in that lead guard role bad with Nowell at 20+ minutes off the bench to spell him or free him up like Kemba and Bazz. Ideal situation.

Would love a 2 guard who could shoot and play defense to put next to them that could slide down to the 3 as well.

Reaction Score
these guys seem like 6, 7, 8th men to me at this point in their development. Seems like we would still need some high end backcourt/wing options and obviously a big.
At the minimum we have room for 3 transfer adds. I would guess a big, a shooting guard, and probably a wing.

-Spencer (grad), Newton (grad), Castle (draft), Clingan (draft),+1 banked scholly.
+Nowell, Abraham
= 3

In that scenario above, after a summer of development we should have 5 starter quality players returning (Diarra, Ball, Stewart, Karaban, Johnson), so might only need bench transfers. But we'll see what kind of roster attrition we see (further NBA or transfers out).

Of the guys we're connected to so far, Kugel, Williams, and Omoruyi are definitely starter tier. Dia maybe like a split-time starter or 6th man. Griffiths and Derkack depth pieces with upside.

Reaction Score
All these players that said UConn has contacted them is false.. Hurley has said that they won’t contact anyone until they are finished playing

No one said that. And it would be a lie if they did. We are contacting people in the portal (and before the portal) just like every other program in America. This is what our coaches are paid millions to do.

Reaction Score
What's everyone's best case (or even most likely/reasonable) transfer class look like?

Big:

Based off who we've been connected to and the athletic's rankings, Omoruyi and Williams seem like two of the top three or four bigs in the portal at this point. Omoruyi feels like he'll draw more attention from competitors, but I don't think the drop off is significant too Williams. I think Omoruyi is the want, Williams might be option 1B. I'll assume Omoruyi picks StJ. If we get Williams, I think we'll all be ecstatic.

Wing:

Kugel and Dia are the names I think fall into this bucket based of who we're connected with so far. If we do end up reaching out to Jimerson, as Vecenie suggests, the sell for him in the cam/hawk spot seems pretty seamless. I like what I saw out of DIa a bit more than Kugel, but I am tantalized by Kugel's athleticism in a lineup that will lose castle. Let's go Kugel here.

Guard:

Dercack was the first name we were linked to (I believe) and his jump from Merrimack to Uconn and BE competition would be substantial. Definitely a consideration, but in a 15 minute per night role, I like what he could potentially bring as a secondary or bench facilitator who brings energy and defense (maybe a taller Hassan?). When contrasted to a guy like Griffiths who has a considerably better profile offensively, he seems like he could be exposed on defense, it might depend on the rest of the class if you last transfer spot comes down to one of these guys. I know we all felt spurned by Griffiths out of HS, but I think I actually feel a bit more confident in what Dercack could bring in a limited bench role atleast for next year.

I personally am of the opinion Solo might need more seasoning, so in a best case scenario (as I see it) a more experienced 2 option would be preferable. During his stint as a starter, he never quite seemed like he could adjust to the tempo of the game. I don't know that his shooting will improve enough to be a starting caliber player (if we expect to be a top 3 option in the conference and top 25 on the season) next year. He might improve enough to prove me wrong, but if he doesnt, I think he's best considered a bench option.

I'll say ideal class would look like Williams, Kugel, Dercack. Have to expect some other things change with the roster so maybe some other schollies open up but I'll go with those three as the optimal class.

Hypo Starting 5 in this scenario Diarra, Kugel, Stewart, Karaban, Williams (bench Solo, Dercack, Samson, Ross etc.).

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Solo and Gavin as our 6/7 could be a nasty bench. Add a veteran like Kugel or Dercack for defense and experience. And a big to anchor the defense like Williams or Omoruyi, and you’re looking at a top 5 pre season roster.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom