UConn and the Transfer Portal | Page 12 | The Boneyard

UConn and the Transfer Portal

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Your defense just got a little crazy, but I'll chalk it up to emotion. I think you're generally a pretty good poster on this board. Tristen and Hassan had higher Assist to Turnover ratios than Castle--so did Cam. Castle has more talent than anyone on the Team, but I'm unsure what is allowing you to believe He is the most productive or efficient point guard.
I feel like me being a good poster is a pretty unpopular opinion on this board so thank you for that. This board is mostly stuck with me as the only place that cares to talk about UConn basketball to the torture of those who don’t share that opinion.

But if the numbers say Diarra is a more efficient PG than Castle, that’s the exact reason we can’t rely on the numbers for everything like this.

Over the summer when discussions about the future and offense will be more prominent I may mess around and do some film breakdowns, but don’t hold me to it because I get lazy. Would be good for showing what I’m talking about (or in some cases retracting some things I talk about).

Analytics are very important to today’s game, but I don’t think they can be depended on to explain everything because context is very important.

Reaction Score
Also a fact here, btw.
We had no real competition on the European tour. We just had a season we have almost completed. Question — which do you think is a better indicator of how effectively a player can play a position is?

Reaction Score
After watching that highlight video of Wolf, he's even better than I thought. He'll have an offer from every team in the country. He certainly would fill a glaring need for next year's team. Our coaching staff and offense would likely put him in next year's NBA lottery. We could go from Cling Kong to the Wolfman.

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
We had no real competition on the European tour. We just had a season we have almost completed. Question — which do you think is a better indicator of how effectively a player can play a position is?
If Solo Ball played that position/role and stunk it up, I’d agree with you. But he didn’t. So I don’t know where this in season indicator is coming from.

A lot of the same people who were telling me Solo Ball just needed to keep getting 3 point reps during OOC is now saying he didn’t show any PG abilities this season. Well duh.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Solo Ball played that position/role and stunk it up, I’d agree with you. But he didn’t. So I don’t know where this in season indicator is coming from.

A lot of the same people who were telling me Solo Ball just needed to keep getting 3 point reps during OOC is now saying he didn’t show any PG abilities this season. Well duh.
So just out of curiosity, why do you think Hassan played 20 minutes a game and Solo got reduced to garbage time? Just that Hurley doesn’t understand hoops like you do?

I’m not knocking the young man. I think he’ll start next year and be good. But unless you know Diarra isn’t back, the thought that he’s going to supplant Hassan at the point just seems to fly in the face of what Hurley thought, what metrics showed us and how Diarra played.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
So just out of curiosity, why do you think Hassan played 20 minutes a game and Solo got reduced to garbage time? Just that Hurley doesn’t understand hoops like you do?

I’m not knocking the young man. I think he’ll start next year and be good. But unless you know Diarra isn’t back, the thought that he’s going to supplant Hassan at the point just seems to fly in the face of what Hurley thought, what metrics showed us and how Diarra played.
Hass is a senior. Hurley is 100% a seniority kind of coach. It shouldn’t even be a question at this point.

It works, but that’s the fact of the matter. Hass having a super dependable high floor meant us not having patience for Solo’s freshman growing pains which is very understandable.

I could be wrong on how Hass would be as a starter just as I was wrong about how good he could be this year. But the ceiling would for sure be much higher with Solo because of his talent. So I’m not sure why we wouldn’t root for that.

Solo is a future lottery pick, I’m not exactly sure what Hassan’s ceiling is for it to be worth him taking another year of development away from Solo by having him play out of position.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
That is one heck of a statement at this point in time.
I would hope with his immense talent and our coaching that it’s not that crazy of a statement.

He seems like he has a great head on his shoulders, works hard, and all the talent in the world. There’s no reason our coaches can’t turn him into a lottery pick.

Reaction Score
I think he's more athletic than Singare.
Look at his transition skills at 255 lbs:

Offensively, he adds a dimension we will not have in the front court next year.

Best I’ve seen of him. Really impressive. Better athlete than I thought

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

This kid is phenomenal offensively.

Reaction Score

I’ll just cut and paste my original post about Wolf last month. He is a Hurley and UConn culture kind of player….

I have a friend with close connections to the IBBA and its national teams. He told me last summer that the IBBA raved about Wolf’s work ethic, smarts and team-first mentality in the U-20 silver medal run. If this kid doesn’t end up in the NBA, he won’t be going home to Chicago. He’ll likely have a long and distinguished career at Mac T.A. or Hapoel Jerusalem.

Having a seven footer who can shoot threes and drive to the hoop, along with Samson doing his rim running, would mark a third consecutive year of having two UConn centers with completely different skill sets to throw at opposing teams. One could dream.

Reaction Score
I’ll just cut and paste my original post about Wolf last month. He is a Hurley and UConn culture kind of player….

I have a friend with close connections to the IBBA and its national teams. He told me last summer that the IBBA raved about Wolf’s work ethic, smarts and team-first mentality in the U-20 silver medal run. If this kid doesn’t end up in the NBA, he won’t be going home to Chicago. He’ll likely have a long and distinguished career at Mac T.A. or Hapoel Jerusalem.

Having a seven footer who can shoot threes and drive to the hoop, along with Samson doing his rim running, would mark a third consecutive year of having two UConn centers with completely different skill sets to throw at opposing teams. One could dream.
Sam Vecenie posted similar thoughts last night re:israel.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom