UConn and the 2019 AAC Baseball Championship Tournament | Page 35 | The Boneyard

UConn and the 2019 AAC Baseball Championship Tournament

Reaction Score
I suspect that UConn put the host bid in to the NCAA sometime in April. By the time the bid it was made public through Dom Amore several days ago, it seemed to me to be very unlikely that it would happen, even if UConn had a shot at playing ECU in the AAC tourney. There was just too much ground to make up. You don't go from being a team on the brink of the bubble just after the South Florida series to hosting an NCAA regional just in a blink of an eye.

It was btwn April 19th (site bid material avail.) and May 17th (deadline).

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Bad day at the old ball park all around. Kersten just didn't have it today. Pen disintegrated. Hitting not clutch after the 3rd inning. Next week - Kersten will bounce back but what looked like a really deep pen has fallen into CJ, Wurster and Wallace. After that, it is a crap shoot. If the pen was deeper, I would feel good about getting out of the regional.

Reaction Score
There's some prominent coach on Twitter encouraging kids to stay in-state, citing 4 CT schools in conference championship games.

Reaction Score
All-Tournament Team
P Jordan Spicer, UCF
P Jacob Wallace, UConn
P Kaleb Roper, Tulane
C Mitch Holding, Cincinnati
IF Joey Bellini, Cincinnati
IF Jace Mercer, Cincinnati
IF Chris Winkel, UConn
IF Mason O’Brien, Wichita State
OF AJ Bumpass, Cincinnati
OF Jeremy Johnson, Cincinnati
OF David VanVooren, Wichita State
UTY Wyatt Stapp, Cincinnati

Most Outstanding Player
OF AJ Bumpass, Cincinnati

You know you are knocking the cover off the ball when you win a baseball tourney and have half the all tournament team and it does not include a (Cincy) pitcher. So much for good pitching stops good hitting.

Reaction Score
Bad day at the old ball park all around. Kersten just didn't have it today. Pen disintegrated. Hitting not clutch after the 3rd inning. Next week - Kersten will bounce back but what looked like a really deep pen has fallen into CJ, Wurster and Wallace. After that, it is a crap shoot. If the pen was deeper, I would feel good about getting out of the regional.

Crap shoot is the right word, inconsistent is another. Both conference tournaments and especially the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament are pretty much designed for teams with deeper pitching staffs. You either need a deeper bullpen then just having a totally reliable trio like Dandeneau, Wurster, and Wallace, or you need deeper dependable starting pitching than just Feole and Kersten. After all, in winning a regional you will play 3 to 5 games in four days, so you would need that many effective starters as well.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
CCSU and QU won. Think the 4th team was Fairfield. We're being proclaimed a baseball state.

Somebody forgot to tell that to our Huskies today. :eek:

Reaction Score
What we did today was Rutgers like.

And let's not pretend it's not really really weird how good Cincinnati got from a year ago. They were swinging the bat a little too well for a .500 team this tournament.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
regional selection is a joke 6 schools from 1 conference?? but that is the NCAA for you. BB always has one from n or s Carolina and the acc is there

Reaction Score
even with the final loss in the AAC championship game this year has been a season of ups and downs all season. our best starting pitching is sometimes good, the batting order has .100 hitters in it. the only consistent has been finish relief, too bad we don't have nine of them.

Reaction Score
Wow. Well the good news is that the Indy 500 was good and there was a little golf to change the channel to. I sure wish that wasn't nationally broadcast on ESPNews. Just a terrible showing by the boys. Every time I went back to the game it was worse, even when it couldn't get worse.

Good to know you watched neither. Especially the Indy 500.

Reaction Score
Scratch Dodd Stadium in Norwich. Probably get sent as a 2 or 3 to the home of one of the top 3 teams in the tourney

You should've never held out hope for Dodd. It was never going to be considered, even if UCONN won yesterday.

Reaction Score
I suspect that UConn put the host bid in to the NCAA sometime in April. By the time the bid it was made public through Dom Amore several days ago, it seemed to me to be very unlikely that it would happen, even if UConn had a shot at playing ECU in the AAC tourney. There was just too much ground to make up. You don't go from being a team on the brink of the bubble just after the South Florida series to hosting an NCAA regional just in a blink of an eye.

Well as i've said all tournament, Dodd stadium was never going to be considered for hosting. I was told last year that off-campus site bids aren't considered unless there aren't enough on-campus bids submitted. Or the on-campus bids aren't "up to snuff".

Who UCONN played, or didn't play, in the tournament was not a factor.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
regional selection is a joke 6 schools from 1 conference?? but that is the NCAA for you. BB always has one from n or s Carolina and the acc is there

16 regional hosts selected for 2019 DI baseball tournament | NCAA.com

3 ACC
3 Big 12
3 Pac 12
1 AAC
6 SEC

Funny thing is SEC gets all the publicity in the fall for its football, but baseball is where SEC really has depth. Plus, all their schools have AA or AAA quality stadiums available with no worries of conflict.

I don't have a problem with how they spread it out. It's not like the B1G or Big East are going to be hosting games.

Reaction Score
Despite yesterday's debacle, I am still quite proud and amazed at UConn baseball and their streak of making every conference tournament semi final round since 2009, it is simply an amazing record. That includes five Big East tournaments, and the last five AAC tournaments. Also, assuming UConn isn't blindsided today at noon, a northern team with six NCAA bids in the last ten years is also something to be proud of as well. No matter what happens next weekend in the NCAA regional, and along with the new baseball facility coming online next season, these are all big markers from which the baseball program can build from in future seasons.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Might be a blessing in disguise for Tulane, but not sure it happens unless Jewett feels he is going to be canned soon. WSU, even as a p5 program, is a step down from Tulane.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom