UConn and the 2019 AAC Baseball Championship Tournament | Page 28 | The Boneyard

UConn and the 2019 AAC Baseball Championship Tournament

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Championship game is on ESPN News, right? That sucks for me since I don't get it. I have to say, I enjoy the ADN games on Youtube. It's a good stream, and the production value is pretty good. Post game interviews are decent as well.

Agree, they did a nice job.

Reaction Score
With the AAC tournament looming over us this week, it is time to post this annual chestnut. Including the 2009 season, UConn has made either the Big East or AAC conference tournament Saturday semifinals (unless the schedule is change due to weather, like it was last year) every year except one during that time period. The one exception was the first AAC tournament in 2014, when the format was changed away from the traditional double elimination format, so that there was basically no conference semifinal (everyone hated the format for that tourney, so it was quickly changed back). UConn has reached the Saturday semi final games 9 tournaments in a row, not including the oddly formatted 2014 tourney. UConn has won the conference championship twice and made three other appearances in the championship game during that time. I find it to be quite an achievement. We’ll see if Coach Penders and UConn can keep that streak alive for another year.

This is the sixth time since (and including) 2009 that UConn baseball has reached its conference tournament championship game.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Wow. What a week this has been so far. From Baby Wink mashing, to Big Wink suddenly reemerging as someone with plate discipline, to Toppa sacrificing his body and acting like a vacuum in left, to Chiovitti making up for lost time and getting the first key hits of his D1 career, to Gozzo arguing for an expanded role next year, and especially to the bullpen holding strong when faced with leads in pressure situations, the story has been individual players stepping up even when you wouldn't have expected it. This is all happening in the wake of our bigger name guys (Woody, Prato, Feole) giving us solid, yet completely unspectacular play. Heck, the guy who was our most consistent hitter at one point in the season (Big Fed) has been invisible all tournament. Imagine what this lineup looks like when he gets going.

Kudos to the young men all up and down the roster for remaining poised, and not playing too tight for the moment. This tournament is always one of the highlights of my year, and they have not disappointed thus far.

Reaction Score
Wow. What a week this has been so far. From Baby Wink mashing, to Big Wink suddenly reemerging as someone with plate discipline, to Toppa sacrificing his body and acting like a vacuum in left, to Chiovitti making up for lost time and getting the first key hits of his D1 career, to Gozzo arguing for an expanded role next year, and especially to the bullpen holding strong when faced with leads in pressure situations, the story has been individual players stepping up even when you wouldn't have expected it. This is all happening in the wake of our bigger name guys (Woody, Prato, Feole) giving us solid, yet completely unspectacular play. Heck, the guy who was our most consistent hitter at one point in the season (Big Fed) has been invisible all tournament. Imagine what this lineup looks like when he gets going.

Kudos to the young men all up and down the roster for remaining poised, and not playing too tight for the moment. This tournament is always one of the highlights of my year, and they have not disappointed thus far.

Exactly this. No idea who our MVP is to date. All sorts of key contributions from all over the place.

So we get to throw our #2 starter tomorrow, and our big 3 out of the pen could easily give us 5 innings if needed. That's absurdly good shape compared to past years where you're looking at a weekday reliever to close and have a short reliever start.

Reaction Score
Every year my wife and I host a barbecue on Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. It also doubles as a birthday party for a few of the people involved. I'm guessing we have done this for at least 20 years and quite probably more. So I'll be limited in my Boneyard posting tomorrow shortly after the start of the game. However, I will have the radio set up right next to the barbecue so I can listen to Chris Jones while grilling up what some people may call food. I'll also record the game for viewing that evening.

Reaction Score
Exactly this. No idea who our MVP is to date. All sorts of key contributions from all over the place.

So we get to throw our #2 starter tomorrow, and our big 3 out of the pen could easily give us 5 innings if needed. That's absurdly good shape compared to past years where you're looking at a weekday reliever to close and have a short reliever start.

No question, our pitching staff in terms of usage is in about as good a shape as it can be in for a tournament like this.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Every year my wife and I host a barbecue on Sunday of Memorial Day weekend. It also doubles as a birthday party for a few of the people involved. I'm guessing we have done this for at least 20 years and quite probably more. So I'll be limited in my Boneyard posting tomorrow shortly after the start of the game. However, I will have the radio set up right next to the barbecue so I can listen to Chris Jones while grilling up what some people may call food. I'll also record the game for viewing that evening.
For a second I thought that was going to be a game watch party invite.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Come on UCF in the next game, and then come on extra innings in the third game of the day.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score

I collect hockey pucks (just purchased a nice one with a Predators logo on it) so feel free to send one my way if you cook extras. :)

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Championship game is on ESPN News, right? That sucks for me since I don't get it. I have to say, I enjoy the ADN games on Youtube. It's a good stream, and the production value is pretty good. Post game interviews are decent as well.

Yep. It might be on ESPN3 as well if you get it.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Cincy and UCF are tied at 2 after three innings. Cincy's starter has thrown 64 pitches already.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Started watching the game. Thought it was live. 1-0 WSU with an ugly first inning. Guess I didn’t need to worry.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yep. It might be on ESPN3 as well if you get it.
Yeah, I don't get ESPN News so it won't be on 3 for me, at least until after the game is over.

Reaction Score
UCF up 5-4 heading to the bottom of the 5th after a 2 run Cincy HR

After UCF pitching change to start T6 -> Bumpus two run shot makes it 6-5 Cincy. Next batter doubles, leading to another UCF pitching change (as an aside - Cincy on second pitcher @ 48 pitches through 1.2 IP)

Reaction Score
After UCF pitching change to start T6 -> Bumpus two run shot makes it 6-5 Cincy. Next batter doubles, leading to another UCF pitching change (as an aside - Cincy on second pitcher @ 48 pitches through 1.2 IP)

7-5 Cincy in B6

Reaction Score
Chris Winkel with his recent walk explosion now has 17 walks in 215 at bats, which is getting close to the one walk every 10 at bats or better ratio that I like to see. His on base percentage is now at .304, nice to see it finally over .300.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom