UConn and the 2019 AAC Baseball Championship Tournament | Page 29 | The Boneyard

UConn and the 2019 AAC Baseball Championship Tournament

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Cincy wins 10-6. Tomorrow will be fun.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
The two northern teams in the final.

Reaction Score
Was hoping Cincy/UCF would play 2 today. Dunlop was fantastic. Let's bring home the hardware tomorrow!

Dunlop was indeed terrific. We'll see if he carries it over to the next time he pitches. Have to think he very well might get a start now against someone next weekend in the NCAA regional, or he could get another long relief assignment in another Jimmy Wang start.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Dunlop was indeed terrific. We'll see if he carries it over to the next time he pitches. Have to think he very well might get a start now against someone next weekend in the NCAA regional, or he could get another long relief assignment in another Jimmy Wang start.

It would not surprise me if this was a preliminary audition for a key role on next year's staff. Obviously there's a lot still to come with summer ball, fall workouts, potential JUCO additions, etc. Nevertheless, solid performance in a postseason setting seems like it could give someone like Dunlop a slight edge for a Friday/Saturday spot at the beginning of the fall.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't get ESPN News so it won't be on 3 for me, at least until after the game is over.

That means it's sports bar time. That's where we're going to watch it, although we do get ESPN News channel at home.

Back in the days of big satellite dishes, we used to go to a sports bar that's owned by two guys from Brooklyn. Luckily they're UConn fans. They would always point that bad boy toward the right transponder to tune in all our games. I used to watch them with a friend who was involved in one of the numerous Rhody ram-nappings while he was a student at UConn.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It would not surprise me if this was a preliminary audition for a key role on next year's staff. Obviously there's a lot still to come with summer ball, fall workouts, potential JUCO additions, etc. Nevertheless, solid performance in a postseason setting seems like it could give someone like Dunlop a slight edge for a Friday/Saturday spot at the beginning of the fall.
I can see why you may surmise that theory but highly doubt Penders was thinking audition in this setting
A wonderful win
Let's beat up on the Bearcats

Reaction Score

We'll see what happens, but remember that the coaching staff liked Dunlop's stuff enough to have him in the weekend starting rotation at the beginning of the season, before he got shelled and got put into a relief/weekday starter role. In interviews with the coaching staff, they have always thought Dunlop had plenty of ability from the the moment he arrived on campus, but you also get the idea he had possibly a lack of confidence problem.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
We'll see what happens, but remember that the coaching staff liked Dunlop's stuff enough to have him in the weekend starting rotation at the beginning of the season, before he got shelled and got put into a relief/weekday starter role. In interviews with the coaching staff, they have always thought Dunlop had plenty of ability from the the moment he arrived on campus, but you also get the idea he had possibly a lack of confidence problem.

As we've all seen many times over the years, having stuff and knowing how to harness it are often two very different things.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
That means it's sports bar time. That's where we're going to watch it, although we do get ESPN News channel at home.

Back in the days of big satellite dishes, we used to go to a sports bar that's owned by two guys from Brooklyn. Luckily they're UConn fans. They would always point that bad boy toward the right transponder to tune in all our games. I used to watch them with a friend who was involved in one of the numerous Rhody ram-nappings while he was a student at UConn.

Good idea. I remember back in early Calhoun my wife and I convincing the bartender to turn to turn at least on TV to UConn instead of local and pro games. I can be, uh, kind of an enthusiastic fan but I guess it was contragious because by the end of the game all the TV were on the game and everyone was cheering for UConn. Good times.

Reaction Score
UConn: Dunlop Leads Huskies to American Conference Championship Game

Notes
  • Michael Woodworth collected his first multi-hit game since April 30thvs. CCSU. It is his team-leading 20thmulti-hit game of the season.
  • Chris Winkel walked three times for the first time in his career on Saturday. It is the third career multi-walk game for Winkel.
  • The Huskies walked 11 times, the most they've walked in a conference game this season.
  • Colby Dunlop tied a season-high with 5.1 innings of work (Virginia, 3/20). It is longest outing of Dunlop's career out of the bullpen.
  • The Huskies advance to the championship game of a conference tournament for the seventh time under head coach Jim Penders.
  • Paul Gozzo extended his hitting streak to eight games.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati has not been what you would call a college baseball powerhouse. The last time Cincinnati got a bid to the NCAA Tournament was in 1974. This is the first AAC tournament where they have won any games.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Cincinnati has not been what you would call a college baseball powerhouse. The last time Cincinnati got a bid to the NCAA Tournament was in 1974. This is the first AAC tournament where they have won any games.

That's about the same resume as many cold weather college baseball programs have. When you consider what Penders has accomplished with dreadful home field facilities and starting every season with 20+ road games, it's incredible.

Reaction Score
It's probably been written but what's our pitching line-up for today.? TIA

Reaction Score
Jeff Kersten is getting the start. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Feole get an inning other wise all hands on deck.

uconnbaseball

Hey there
Reaction Score
Ideally....

Kersten for 5
???? for 1 (Feole? Mayock? Simeone?)
Wurster for 1
CJ for 1
Wallace for 1

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online