UConn and BCU talkin' | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn and BCU talkin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

I don't know, the quote from Bates above doesn't sound all that encouraging to me. Warde's quote clearly shows where we stand, BC, not so much. Very noncommittal answer from Bates.

Agree there is no change - we will play BC won't - where's the news? The coaches always were willing to play - I remember Edsall was supportive of the game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Isn't the big one the trophy for beating Alabama?
No it for having a rivalry with Alabama. Whether or not we win, or that matter even play them, is irrelevant.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Then my estimate is wrong because the USC contingent was far larger than the usual visitor allotment.

So USC had a strong following for a Saturday night game on ABC, National telecast, and BC still fell some 4k short of a sellout. And yet we're debating with this Burkie/Okielite guy about BC attendance and referencing our home game against Michigan. The game of the millennium...which, by the way, sold out with an added 2,500 seats at the onset of a horrific season that didn't see Win #1 until November (and after getting blown out at home by TowNson). Were there Michigan fans in attendance that night? Absolutely. That's what huge fanbases do: travel. Just like USC fans did to BC. Just like PSU fans did to Yankee Stadium.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Great response, you had him until the last paragraph and then let him off the hook. Why on earth would anyone expect to see a lot of BC fans at an ND home game?

I don't, that was the point. He's saying that the Michigan game was only sold out because there was so much maize in the stands. Maybe that's true, but the point is the game sold out and the atmosphere was absolutely electric. Electric enough to almost propel one of our worst teams in our football history to a win. No, Michigan wasn't as strong as they have been in years past, but we lost to TowNson by double digits a few weeks earlier. And a week after this game, would find a way to drop a game to friggin' Buffalo by 30.

There will be FAR more Irish fans packed into Fenway Park, a quick T ride from Chestnut Hill, than there were Michigan fans at the Rent. The game, played in Boston, between Boston College and Notre Dame, is a ND home game at the gates and it will look/sound like it in the stands and on TV. That, to me, is utterly more ridiculous than a UConn/Michigan game that had some Michigan fans in attendance.

Reaction Score
I don't, that was the point. He's saying that the Michigan game was only sold out because there was so much maize in the stands. Maybe that's true, but the point is the game sold out and the atmosphere was absolutely electric. Electric enough to almost propel one of our worst teams in our football history to a win. No, Michigan wasn't as strong as they have been in years past, but we lost to TowNson by double digits a few weeks earlier. And a week after this game, would find a way to drop a game to friggin' Buffalo by 30.

There will be FAR more Irish fans packed into Fenway Park, a quick T ride from Chestnut Hill, than there were Michigan fans at the Rent. The game, played in Boston, between Boston College and Notre Dame, is a ND home game at the gates and it will look/sound like it in the stands and on TV. That, to me, is utterly more ridiculous than a UConn/Michigan game that had some Michigan fans in attendance.

Is there any doubt that if the UConn football tame can be competitive, put a few good seasons together that the football team can have the same following of UConn's basketball team? A college program which turned a NCAA Quarterfinal game in NYC into a home game (paraphrasing Tom Izzo from Michigan St) or who forced during the Big East primetime other programs such as Providence, Seton Hall & St, John's to make outsiders buy 3 game packages to keep UConn fans from taking over and that still failed.

Reaction Score
Last I checked this was a football message board ? Was I mistaken ? Not sure how basketball attendance is relevant to the discussion. My point was the number that you were referring to, the overall attendance figures for 2014, are clearly inaccurate based on the fact that they are calculating the SMU game at almost 5x the reality (conservatively, the actual attendance was most likely below 5,000).

For a school with twice the undergraduate student body, and a much more local alumni base, the fact that BC easily outdraws Uconn YoY says a lot despite the fact that many here continue to harp on BCs lack of support (BC also has an endowment 5x as big so all these great fans/alumni clearly aren't putting their money where their mouth is).

While in the Big East and shortly after entering D1A football UCONN quickly drew attendance comparable to BC and in one year was slightly ahead of BC I believe. Clearly attendance at UCONN has fallen off the last two season given performance and conference affiliation. But, it is very clear to me that when playing decent football with logical conference affiliation (Big East was not perfect, but far better than the AAC for UCONN), UCONN built football attendance very quickly after gong D1A.

As for the endowment, as you stated, this is a football board, so what does endowment have to do with anything. Harvard's endowment is what, 10x to 20x that of BC. Does that mean they have a better football following. UCONN, as a state university, has not emphasized growing an endowment until very recently.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There wasn't that much maize in the stands. It was a hugely UConn crowd. I was expecting much worse.

Reaction Score
Waquoit said:
There wasn't that much maize in the stands. It was a hugely UConn crowd. I was expecting much worse.

There was a very large Michigan contingent. But I also know of many uconn fans who wanted to go but could not get a ticket. That game was getting sold out even if there was 6 Michigan fans in attendance.

That game showed what this program could be. Terrible UCONN team, and the crowd was electric.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
It's downright silly to try to tout BCs attendance as a huge advantage over CT. I went back and they're neck and neck for attendance in the good years... and equally as sh!tty in the bad years. It's only last year after 5 straight years of craptastic football at the Rent where they've pulled away. Unless you're trying to argue that less than 3k difference in any given years is some sort of huge advantage... I'd also be willing to bet that as far as percentage of capacity goes UConn's attendance is better, up until last year.

Reaction Score
So USC had a strong following for a Saturday night game on ABC, National telecast, and BC still fell some 4k short of a sellout. And yet we're debating with this Burkie/Okielite guy about BC attendance and referencing our home game against Michigan. The game of the millennium...which, by the way, sold out with an added 2,500 seats at the onset of a horrific season that didn't see Win #1 until November (and after getting blown out at home by TowNson). Were there Michigan fans in attendance that night? Absolutely. That's what huge fanbases do: travel. Just like USC fans did to BC. Just like PSU fans did to Yankee Stadium.
Difference is, Michigan, and PSU have fanbases that are very near those respective away games. USC has virtually no alumni or general fanbase up here, at least nowhere near the size of Michigan/PSU. Not to mention their home campus is 3,000 miles away, as opposed to just hundreds. The USC contingent at that game rivaled what I've seen out of FSU, Clemson, and VT games at BC. Outside of the students, the BC crowd was woeful for their biggest OOC home game in years.

Reaction Score
Difference is, Michigan, and PSU have fanbases that are very near those respective away games. USC has virtually no alumni or general fanbase up here, at least nowhere near the size of Michigan/PSU. Not to mention their home campus is 3,000 miles away, as opposed to just hundreds. The USC contingent at that game rivaled what I've seen out of FSU, Clemson, and VT games at BC. Outside of the students, the BC crowd was woeful for their biggest OOC home game in years.

A bowl eligible BC team with a new coach beat their 'biggest' 'local' ACC rival in 2014 at Alumni Stadium and the official attendance was 30,200. That's not even close (68%) to a sell-out (44K).

http://stats.syracuse.com/cfb/ats.asp?gamecode=201411290010&home=10&vis=14&final=true

Reaction Score
I know you're new here and . The northeast is starving for a true regional rivalry. The Game is the biggest annual draw in New England because it has what no other game in New England has: a long history of hating one another.

This idea that " BC and Uconn have a long history of hating one another " is one sided. Uconn hates BC with an obsession. BC alums are mostly indifferent toward Uconn. The BC alums and fans that do hate Uconn tend to be based in Massachusetts. But they are the minority. This is because the majority of students at BC came in from outside of N.E. and when they graduate they take jobs outside of the N.E region. Grads of BC prior to the 70's came from mostly Massachusetts. But today, the grads from BC came from all over the country, all over the world. So there is much more likely to be " hate " toward ND , Duke on the part of these BCstudents and alums than for Uconn as they could not get into these schools. As such, they feel neither hate nor most other negative emotions toward Uconn. It would be mostly the emotion of indifference they feel toward Uconn, with is neither a negative, nor a positive emotion toward Uconn. This makes for any BC- Uconn football game a thoroughly one sided affair. Most casual Massachusetts sports fans would be more interested in a BC- Umass football matchup than a BC- Uconn match up, and more Massachusetts based fans would thus be in attendance more for a BC game with Umass, than one with Uconn. So this notion that a BC- Uconn game would be good for N.E. only holds true for Connecticut. But not for Massachusetts based college football fans, and certainly not for the current BC students and their recent grads.

Reaction Score
These Uconn comments that BC football has only a slightly larger average home game football attendance than does Uconn football, is like listening to 2 midgets debate who is taller or shorter.

Reaction Score
So this notion that a BC- Uconn game would be good for N.E. only holds true for Connecticut. But not for Massachusetts based college football fans, and certainly not for the current BC students and their recent grads.
Looks like the head football coach at BC holds a different view point than you do Yawkey Way:
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-bc-uconn-bc-football-0607-20150606-story.html
http://www.courant.com/sports/colle...oston-college-0607-20150606-story.html#page=1

Reaction Score

Exactly, and proving my point. Daz is from Connecticut . He was born and raised in Connecticut. He's Coached many years in Connecticut. He's not from Massachusetts, and wasn't born and raised in Massachuetts ( as I was ). As such, his interest would not be expected to be the same . If you are a grad of Umass- Boston, Umass- Dartmouth, Umass- Lowell, ( or any of the other state college system in Mass.)and grew up in Greater Boston, you are far more interested in a BC- Umass game, than a BC game with Uconn. BC will have more local Greater Boston area interest in a BC - Umass game than a BC- Uconn game. Thats understandable and no surprise. Thats because for every Uconn grad currently living and working in Greater Boston, there are approx. 50-60 or more grads of the Massachusetts State College/ University system throughout the state of Massachusetts. And yes, its also true as well that a person born and raised in Connecticut ( like current BC Coaches and Ass't Coaches) would be naturally expected to have more interest in such a BC- Uconn future match up if it was to ever occur.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This idea that " BC and Uconn have a long history of hating one another " is one sided. Uconn hates BC with an obsession. BC alums are mostly indifferent toward Uconn. The BC alums and fans that do hate Uconn tend to be based in Massachusetts. But they are the minority. This is because the majority of students at BC came in from outside of N.E. and when they graduate they take jobs outside of the N.E region. Grads of BC prior to the 70's came from mostly Massachusetts. But today, the grads from BC came from all over the country, all over the world. So there is much more likely to be " hate " toward ND , Duke on the part of these BCstudents and alums than for Uconn as they could not get into these schools. As such, they feel neither hate nor most other negative emotions toward Uconn. It would be mostly the emotion of indifference they feel toward Uconn, with is neither a negative, nor a positive emotion toward Uconn. This makes for any BC- Uconn football game a thoroughly one sided affair. Most casual Massachusetts sports fans would be more interested in a BC- Umass football matchup than a BC- Uconn match up, and more Massachusetts based fans would thus be in attendance more for a BC game with Umass, than one with Uconn. So this notion that a BC- Uconn game would be good for N.E. only holds true for Connecticut. But not for Massachusetts based college football fans, and certainly not for the current BC students and their recent grads.

Yeah Boston College's leadership is scared of UConn - so everything you typed was worthless drivel.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Exactly, and proving my point. Daz is from Connecticut . He was born and raised in Connecticut. He's Coached many years in Connecticut. He's not from Massachusetts, and wasn't born and raised in Massachuetts ( as I was ). As such, his interest would not be expected to be the same . If you are a grad of Umass- Boston, Umass- Dartmouth, Umass- Lowell, ( or any of the other state college system in Mass.)and grew up in Greater Boston, you are far more interested in a BC- Umass game, than a BC game with Uconn. BC will have more local Greater Boston area interest in a BC - Umass game than a BC- Uconn game. Thats understandable and no surprise. Thats because for every Uconn grad currently living and working in Greater Boston, there are approx. 50-60 or more grads of the Massachusetts State College/ University system throughout the state of Massachusetts. And yes, its also true as well that a person born and raised in Connecticut ( like current BC Coaches and Ass't Coaches) would be naturally expected to have more interest in such a BC- Uconn future match up if it was to ever occur.

Thanks for an additional opportunity for me to say..

this guy's insanity stays but HFD's was banned...

Reaction Score
This is what you mean by more interest in a BC-UMass game?
http://www.masslive.com/umassfootball/index.ssf/2014/08/umass_football_attendance_watc_4.html
15741570-mmmain.jpg

Dooley

Reaction Score
I know you're new here. The northeast is starving for a true regional rivalry. The Game is the biggest annual draw in New England because it has what no other game in New England has: a long history of hating one another. It is of my opinion that UConn vs Boston College could reach that point someday, with annual sellouts of each others stadiums or even Gillette Stadium. Northeast/New England football needs another rivalry game and this could be it.

Ummmmm...when, in my entire post (or in any post in this entire thread), did I say that BC and UConn had the long history of hating one another?? When you come down off of your high horse and go back to re-read what I actually wrote, you will notice that I referred to The Game as being the one with a long history of hating one another. Harvard/Yale is the biggest rivalry game in New England.

To be honest, I stopped reading your drivel after the first few sentences. You'll just take any opportunity, including misquoting posts, to launch right into your "BC is indifferent toward UConn" claims. Here..."The environment at Kelley Rink was the best of the season, other than the Boston University game. The stands were full (for the second and third periods, at least) and the student section grew louder with every ring of the sieve cowbell. And the occasional cheers from the noticeable contingent of UConn fans only made BC fans want to drown out their words even more.

It was college hockey at its finest, and it’ll be happening much more often from this point on."

Reaction Score
It's amazing how many "indifferent" BCU fans frequent UConn Boards or the monthly mentions of UConn on their own boards (completely out of indifference, I'm sure). Aside from their recent hockey success, they haven't won a NCAA recognized national championship (except for hockey in 1949). I'm not sure when and how they convinced themselves they are actually in a position to look down at anyone when it comes to sports.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Can Yawkey be banned for posts on that ridiculous blog?

Reaction Score
Ummmmm...when, in my entire post (or in any post in this entire thread), did I say that BC and UConn had the long history of hating one another?? When you come down off of your high horse and go back to re-read what I actually wrote, you will notice that I referred to The Game as being the one with a long history of hating one another. Harvard/Yale is the biggest rivalry game in New England.

To be honest, I stopped reading your drivel after the first few sentences. You'll just take any opportunity, including misquoting posts, to launch right into your "BC is indifferent toward UConn" claims. Here..."The environment at Kelley Rink was the best of the season, other than the Boston University game. The stands were full (for the second and third periods, at least) and the student section grew louder with every ring of the sieve cowbell. And the occasional cheers from the noticeable contingent of UConn fans only made BC fans want to drown out their words even more.

It was college hockey at its finest, and it’ll be happening much more often from this point on."

For someone who shares an indifference towards UCONN with the rest of The BC Fanbase, he sure spends an inordinate amount of time posting on a UCONN Football Board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom