UConn among 4 schools prioritizing Jaiden Delaire | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn among 4 schools prioritizing Jaiden Delaire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No - Jen Rizzotti in my mind dispelled that myth. While Captain, Point Guard on an NC UCONN team she held a 4.0 GPA in Honors Biochem. Damn I essentially took the same course load and never sniffed a 4.o. Quite a few years ago I was looking at intern applications and saw a Junior at NC State majoring in Environmental Engineering who also played on the D1 golf team. Brought him in as an intern and also put him on our golf league team!! but my rationale was anyone who can manage a D 1 sport and maintain a high GPA in a meaningful major is the kind of person you want to hire.

My buddy from UHart is one of these super people.

Mechanical engineering with me but top of our class with a 3.98 GPA while being a D1 all-conference sprinter for the track and field team. Somehow he still found time to party some too.

He’s now at Stanford doing his masters in aerospace engineering with projects that will probably land him a job at Space X or NASA.

C

Chief00

No way. Once Hartford gets put down, we go on the attack. Norwich was in the way:cool:

We had a rule of thumb. If there was a town in CT you never heard of, it was near Norwich. 95% accurate. One of the best hs hoop players in state history went to NFA in the early 60s. Lloyd Hinchey was a great shooter. I had the embarrassing misfortune of spending 5 minutes trying to guard him in our law school league. Let’s leave it that I was not in his league. I hate Norwich.
Yes, Lloyd played at Holy Cross in college.

Reaction Score
I'm 30 years in Meriden and 28 in WesMass and I tell everyone I'm proud to be from Meriden. Hey all these cities have changed as we knew it but still the roots are there be proud of it.

Norwich has the bones of once being beautiful and it's still there, don't blame you donyell.
Know what you mean. I'm from Hartford and proud of it. Good mix of people, good sports and a great place to grow up. We were probably lower middle class by today's standards but nobody cared.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
My buddy from UHart is one of these super people.

Mechanical engineering with me but top of our class with a 3.98 GPA while being a D1 all-conference sprinter for the track and field team. Somehow he still found time to party some too.

He’s now at Stanford doing his masters in aerospace engineering with projects that will probably land him a job at Space X or NASA.

One of those freaky smart people who barely studied or a guy who just really buckled down and got it all done?

I had to read for class on the bus rides to and from games to get everything done.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yes, Lloyd played at Holy Cross in college.

H.C. was still somewhat relevant nationally at the time. I believe he set their Freshmam team (Frosh couldn’t play varsity, no one and done). Then he had a knee injury and was never quite the same, but plenty good enough for the law school league. There were several very good players in the league who had played varsity in college.

Nice guy,Lloyd. Saw him play several times in hs because NFA and my school,Weaver, were in the same conference.

C

Chief00

H.C. was still somewhat relevant nationally at the time. I believe he set their Freshmam team (Frosh couldn’t play varsity, no one and done). Then he had a knee injury and was never quite the same, but plenty good enough for the law school league. There were several very good players in the league who had played varsity in college.

Nice guy,Lloyd. Saw him play several times in hs because NFA and my school,Weaver, were in the same conference.

Lloyd liked the bank shot. Weaver produced some good players then.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Lloyd liked the bank shot. Weaver produced some good players then.
Weaver was good, but when I was in schooll, Hartford Public and Bulkely were slightly better. Our star was Johnny Lee, an all around super athlete and good guy. Eddie Griffin was the star at HPHS. In the “it’s a small world” category, Gene Reilly was Bulkely’s star and Weaver kids despised him. He became my son’s uncle in law and was at my house a few times. He passed away a few years ago. His family actually moved from very near Weaver a few years before he was high school age. A team with him and John Lee would’ve been crazy. Too boot, the year before Griffin started hs, the city redistricted school and put Griffin outside the Weaver district. If all three of those guys had played together, lights out.

Reaction Score
One of those freaky smart people who barely studied or a guy who just really buckled down and got it all done?

I had to read for class on the bus rides to and from games to get everything done.

A little bit of both I’d say but more towards the buckle down work ethic. He always made time to study and was almost always prepared. But at the same time he could sit through a lecture/ read his notes once and pretty much get it whereas I’d have to go over everything like 4 times lol. Impressive ability to just understand complex technical concepts.

Lucky bastid

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
A little bit of both I’d say but more towards the buckle down work ethic. He always made time to study and was almost always prepared. But at the same time he could sit through a lecture/ read his notes once and pretty much get it whereas I’d have to go over everything like 4 times lol. Impressive ability to just understand complex technical concepts.

Lucky bastid

I was more like you. And played a sport. Needless to say i have more downtime as an adult than I did as a college kid

Reaction Score
Weaver was good, but when I was in schooll, Hartford Public and Bulkely were slightly better. Our star was Johnny Lee, an all around super athlete and good guy. Eddie Griffin was the star at HPHS. In the “it’s a small world” category, Gene Reilly was Bulkely’s star and Weaver kids despised him. He became my son’s uncle in law and was at my house a few times. He passed away a few years ago. His family actually moved from very near Weaver a few years before he was high school age. A team with him and John Lee would’ve been crazy. Too boot, the year before Griffin started hs, the city redistricted school and put Griffin outside the Weaver district. If all three of those guys had played together, lights out.
Johnny Lee and Eddie Griffin were two incredible athletes who both continued the Hartford connection to Linfield College. Weaver football coach Joe Biedler was the connection to Linfield. Good friends, Lee and Griffin would have loved to play together.

Reaction Score
July 11th eval peroid right around the corner. Good bet we're in to see DeLaire Day 1.

Attachments

• IMG_2602.PNG
    IMG_2602.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 306
Reaction Score
I don't know man, I love UConn for it's athletics and academics, but if I'm a school-head and a great athlete and Yale says come on down I'm going. Future NBA or private sector business you're all set.

I applied to Yale out of high school. Really really wanted to go. Interviewed with a local bank president. Big office, perfect suit, totally intimidated. Little kid from Wolcott. Got tripped up on a trick question about drugs (pot) of which I had zero experience (1972). Prolly got labeled immature, pass.

Ended up at RPI which worked out.
So Okafor should have gone to Yale? Don’t think his extraordinary NBA success would have happened from there.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Let's hope we can convince him he can make money playing basketball, then
Potentially a lot more than Stanford finance degree. He can always go back an get an MBA and learn how to manage all that wealth.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Let's hope we can convince him he can make money playing basketball, then
He's a top 100 kid. He's trying to play basketball professionally. He will fit in really well with Hurley's perimeter motion offense. He's perfect on the wing.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Delaire would immediately start for us just based on his offensive skill set.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Delaire would immediately start for us just based on his offensive skill set.
Gilbert
Vital
Wilson
Diarra/Whaley/Delaire?
Carlton

I don't know if there's room in the lineup a year from now, especially with players like Diarra and Whaley having another year of experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom