UConn among 4 schools prioritizing Jaiden Delaire | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn among 4 schools prioritizing Jaiden Delaire

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Named after "the Commodore" Cornelius who had some serious cash. In RI they had a little summer cottage called "The Breakers" Gloria Vanderbilt, a descendant, had her fine family name put on everyone's rear end when she launched a designer jeans line.

Visited The Biltmore in December. their "main" estate wasn't as extravagant as I assumed when compared to the tiny little Breakers. Only a mere 6000 acres

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Visited The Biltmore in December. their "main" estate wasn't as extravagant as I assumed when compared to the tiny little Breakers. Only a mere 6000 acres
Greatly reduced from original property.

Reaction Score
Almost impossible to get a quality education with big time sports. The guy that is covering me tonight played free Safety for UCONN x 2 yrs. He could not get his core classes in n had to drop football after 3 yrs. This was in the early 90s when UCONN was DII.

Reaction Score
Almost impossible to get a quality education with big time sports. The guy that is covering me tonight played free Safety for UCONN x 2 yrs. He could not get his core classes in n had to drop football after 3 yrs. This was in the early 90s when UCONN was DII.

UConn was never DII. They were 1AA.
And I think Emeka Okafor dispells your myth about not getting a quality education while playing a major sport.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
"I like the schools I'm talking to." Sounds like 1 (or 2) of the schools he's talking to is a clear favorite, even if other schools come in. I like our chances.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

The women's bb team doesn't seem to have the same problem.

Reaction Score
The women's bb team doesn't seem to have the same problem.
There is a big difference between correspondence courses and actual class room classes. Most of the difficult classes like Math/Computers/Biology/Chem/physics/Organic chem have regular labs that require your physical presence. The sad thing is that as UCONN is emphasizing STEM majors, few if any of the UCONN MBB, WBB and FBB players are majoring in those. The most common UCONN athletic majors are Sociology and communications. It is mostly submitting papers at the end of the semester. Coach Danny Hurley was a Physical Ed major at Seton Hall. He had to take a yr for a Leave of absence due to the stress of the major n playing basketball.

Reaction Score
Or maybe someone tells him about Mek!
I was thinking the same thing - you recruit this kid like Calhoun recruited Okafor.

And it’s not like we completely suck academically- if you’re a smart kid, you can definitely use it to open doors and get a great education.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Coach Danny Hurley was a Physical Ed major at Seton Hall. He had to take a yr for a Leave of absence due to the stress of the major n playing basketball.

That had nothing to do with school work. It had to do with basketball burnout and trying to live up to his brother bobby's accomplishments, all the while playing in a system that wasn't a good fit for his game (under a highly disciplinarian coach no less).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Talking with people I get the feeling we’re in good shape.

No offense, and I'd rather hear this than the opposite, but we heard this all the time during the KO era and struck out more often than we hit.

Reaction Score
6'9" shooting guard?? Do people really consider him a SG? I don't really know much about him, just asking.

I've seen the kid play and I'd say he'll definitely be a 3 in college with the potential to be a SG in the pros.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Since Delaire lives in Hartford... What are the NCAA rules for high school kids playing pickup with the program in the offseason? I remember Drummond coming up to campus, quite often, and playing pickup with the team before he committed while he was still in high school.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
UConn was never DII. They were 1AA.
And I think Emeka Okafor dispells your myth about not getting a quality education while playing a major sport.
No - Jen Rizzotti in my mind dispelled that myth. While Captain, Point Guard on an NC UCONN team she held a 4.0 GPA in Honors Biochem. Damn I essentially took the same course load and never sniffed a 4.o. Quite a few years ago I was looking at intern applications and saw a Junior at NC State majoring in Environmental Engineering who also played on the D1 golf team. Brought him in as an intern and also put him on our golf league team!! but my rationale was anyone who can manage a D 1 sport and maintain a high GPA in a meaningful major is the kind of person you want to hire.

Reaction Score
No offense, and I'd rather hear this than the opposite, but we heard this all the time during the KO era and struck out more often than we hit.

That was during the KO era. Things are substantially different now.

I have watched a few of Delaire's highlight videos. A really nice player that finds ways to score, but also looks to make the right pass when the situation presents itself. I have a good feeling about UConn landing him. He looks like a future NBA player to me.

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
No - Jen Rizzotti in my mind dispelled that myth. While Captain, Point Guard on an NC UCONN team she held a 4.0 GPA in Honors Biochem. Damn I essentially took the same course load and never sniffed a 4.o. Quite a few years ago I was looking at intern applications and saw a Junior at NC State majoring in Environmental Engineering who also played on the D1 golf team. Brought him in as an intern and also put him on our golf league team!! but my rationale was anyone who can manage a D 1 sport and maintain a high GPA in a meaningful major is the kind of person you want to hire.

Frankly any level. The hours put in are insane. It's over 30 hours per week at any NCAA level.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Since Delaire lives in Hartford... What are the NCAA rules for high school kids playing pickup with the program in the offseason? I remember Drummond coming up to campus, quite often, and playing pickup with the team before he committed while he was still in high school.
He’s from Granby I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown