UConn All-Time Scoring List: Ryan Boatright | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn All-Time Scoring List: Ryan Boatright

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
5 points tomorrow and Boat moves past Kemba for 8th all time. 17 and he moves past Gordon for 7th. If we get into the dance Boat should finish at least 6th all time on our scoring list. Gonna miss him. What a warrior.

Even if they miss the dance, he'll get at least 1 NIT game. I say he should shoot for 5th. 20.4 points per game for 7 games seems doable.

Reaction Score
Hard to compare players games from different eras. Yet we often do and some arguments seemingly never die. A great shooter is a great shooter regardless of era. Great shooters figure out a way to overcome various challenges to get their shot off.

I happened to go to middle school and HS with a great shooter who people said would never make it at the next level (continuously through his career). I was bummed he didn't go to UCONN. He became a 3 time Consensus All-American, 38ppg as a junior, 33ppg avg for 3 years in college, w/o 3 pt shot 13 years in NBA averaged 17.9 w/o 3-pt shot, NBA All Star and HOF @ 5'9"

Fast forward 40 years and Boat and Bazz also had their doubters on this board with similar arguments.

When I got to UCONN I quickly learned what even a blind man could tell from the snap of the net....that Wes was a really great shooter and with ridiculous range who could get his shot off with the best of them.

I'm not arguing who is the best UCONN player/shooter because I think it's impossible to judge across eras.

I just want to testify that Wes was a great great shooter and damn good player and I'm sure if he played in any era there would be no drop off in made shots just an increase in his ppg average.
I know this is a month later (haha), but you're talking about Calvin Murphy right? Still a legend in Norwalk, although relations between him and the school soured a couple years ago.

Reaction Score
I saw both Wes and Ray play at UCONN and Wes was the best long distance shooter ever at UCONN. I wish they had his shoot chart his senior year. Unbelievable range.

I know this is a month old but i just read this for the first time.

and... STFU. Ray Allen is the certified best shooter in NBA History. I get it you old guys like to talk about the Yankee Conference days and all that, but seriously drop this false equivalence stuff.

Ray Allen is the best shooter in UConn history, by a country mile. He is the best shooter in NBA history!! end of argument.

Reaction Score
I know this is a month later (haha), but you're talking about Calvin Murphy right? Still a legend in Norwalk, although relations between him and the school soured a couple years ago.

Yes. Calvin Murphy. I knew him well back in the day. Regarding his relations with NHS, I suspect it had something to do with the allegations/law suit brought by his daughters.

My point was size doesn't always matter there are those whose skill and will transcend physical challenges. Boat and Bazz Kemba on the college level Murph beyond. This was true then and true today more frequently.

Reaction Score

and... STFU. Ray Allen is the certified best shooter in NBA History. I get it you old guys like to talk about the Yankee Conference days and all that, but seriously drop this false equivalence stuff.

Ray Allen is the best shooter in UConn history, by a country mile. He is the best shooter in NBA history!! end of argument.

Maybe instead of telling people you don't agree with to STFU for what... voicing an opinion........... you should practice what you preach....... or rather, at the very least, become a little more informed as well as tolerant.

This is a discussion board so we are discussing. Age shouldn't matter, experience and knowledge should.

I doubt very much if you ever watched a UCONN Yankee Conference game or Wes B for that matter. It would have to have been in person to grasp how good he was.

Comparing players from different eras is next to impossible and interesting nevertheless.

For example: Sandy Kofax is widely credited with being one of the best pitchers of all time yet he last pitched in the 1960's. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Koufax
In today's game the athletes are bigger and stronger, come from more diverse pool, globally and The League has more teams.

Some argue the best talent today doesn't choose to play baseball (boring or more sports to choose from). Also that the number of teams rather than providing opportunity for more good players dilutes what talent there is.

Back to basketball....Well we all know how fantastic the bottom dwellers of the old BE were despite the "fact" the conference as a whole was obviously awesome by comparison.

My point, I know you have reading comprehension issues, is that just as you can find a diamond in the rough (Wes in YC) so too can you find garbage in the CASTLE known as the old Big East (Rutty et al or B1G, ACC for that matter).

Who is THE best shooter while at UCONN is arguable at best, and subjective depending on era/who you watched.

Furthermore it was not the topic of the thread.

The discussion SHOULD be based on UCONN career not professional career so I don't see Ray Rays life after UCONN as relevant, since you bring it up.

Who (plural) were the best while at UCONN is less so (arguable) and more on point to the topic.

All I'm stating is that Wes was a great shooter period. Nobody was trying to crown him THE guy. Again, just sayin' he was great and he was.

As Kentucky, Tar Heels, Duke and other "blues" have history.... so does UCONN.
Maybe not as lofty or star studded but also not as vapid of stars and accomplishments as some might think (pre BE).

I should think the younger "true" fans would embrace UCONN's entire history including the Yankee Conf. and earlier. Enjoy learning about players they may not have seen.

And again almost everything is arguable.
You needn't be quite such a know it all.;)

You sound young, ignorant, arrogant, closed minded and lack basic reading comprehension skills.

Just my opinion, from a not sooo old guy:cool:
Actually I feel sorry for you.

Reaction Score

Ray is not the greatest shooter to ever live. He's one of the greatest but there have been better shooters. He's the greatest volume shooter.

Just to point out Brent Barry and Steve Nash both shoot 3 at a better percentage and have higher career eFG%.

Just because Pete rose has the most hits in baseball didn't make him the greatest hitter ever. Same goes for Barry bonds just cause he has the most HRs doesn't make him the greatest hitter either.

It's great Ray was a husky and became one of the greatest shooter in NBA history but don't discount and overlook other legitimate shooters

Reaction Score
Ray is not the greatest shooter to ever live. He's one of the greatest but there have been better shooters. He's the greatest volume shooter.

Just to point out Brent Barry and Steve Nash both shoot 3 at a better percentage and have higher career eFG%.

Just because Pete rose has the most hits in baseball didn't make him the greatest hitter ever. Same goes for Barry bonds just cause he has the most HRs doesn't make him the greatest hitter either.

It's great Ray was a husky and became one of the greatest shooter in NBA history but don't discount and overlook other legitimate shooters

This doesn't make sense. No one metric makes anyone the best shooter, obviously. But being the single most profilic 3pt maker in NBA history, and being widely considered the best 3pt marksman of all time, and one of the best clutch shooters of his era DOES CARRY THE DAY when we are talking about a Yankee Conference player.

I am seriously having a hard time there are people who are debating this fact, let alone writing 1300 words about it like catfancy did above.

Reaction Score
This doesn't make sense. No one metric makes anyone the best shooter, obviously. But being the single most profilic 3pt maker in NBA history, and being widely considered the best 3pt marksman of all time, and one of the best clutch shooters of his era DOES CARRY THE DAY when we are talking about a Yankee Conference player.

I am seriously having a hard time there are people who are debating this fact, let alone writing 1300 words about it like catfancy did above.

I saw both Wes and Ray in person. There was an aura about Wes that is hard to describe. He was a threat as soon as he crossed the half court line. All that said, I hope you can agree that they were BOTH great marksmen and we were privileged to have both of them on our team. Ray was clearly the better athlete. But as to who was the better 3 point shooter. We'll never know and does it really matter? They were both great.

Reaction Score

Calling me names is a weak retort for pointing out your arrogance and other endearing qualities and it doesn't really negate that opinions are not facts!

And no one is disputing Ray was a great shooter at UCONN (also) and an even greater shooter as a pro.

Reggie Miller was pretty awesome as well and many talking heads still debate who was better.

I bet I'm not the first person to be underwhelmed by your distortion of fact vs opinion or charmed by your "profilic" Weltanschauung.

1300 and you counted. Well bless your heart :D

Guess I should have just used a four letter reply like you, STFU, but I'm not into over used acronyms when words and examples are far more effective and thought provoking.

My parting advice to you is to grow up and man up because obviously you are neither!;)

Reaction Score

If old people didn't have the fact that they watched worse players before we were born, they'd have literally nothing interesting to talk about. Let him have this.

Reaction Score
It's not like Ray set the world on fire as a rookie. Who knows what would've happened to Bialosuknia if he had played longer.
The real difference would have come if Ray played as a senior. THAT would make it more comparable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom