UConn All-Time Scoring List: Ryan Boatright | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn All-Time Scoring List: Ryan Boatright

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Boatright now has 1,608 points, supplanting Jeff Adrien for the #15 spot. 9th place all time is only 65 points away.
He's starting to creep up on the all-time, A-List greats. Been so lucky to watch him mature on the court over these last four years.

Reaction Score
It seems like it was yesterday that we were all shuffling through youtube videos of Boatright dropping 50 points in his Chicago city league. I think that was the only time I can remember being genuinely impressed watching a recruits highlight film (obviously Drummond's was absurd, but in a different way).

Reaction Score
He's starting to creep up on the all-time, A-List greats. Been so lucky to watch him mature on the court over these last four years.
It seems like it was yesterday that we were all shuffling through youtube videos of Boatright dropping 50 points in his Chicago city league. I think that was the only time I can remember being genuinely impressed watching a recruits highlight film (obviously Drummond's was absurd, but in a different way).
What's really crazy, is that by the end of the year, the last three point guards for UConn could be three of the top ten scorers in UConn history.

Reaction Score
What's really crazy, is that by the end of the year, the last three point guards for UConn could be three of the top ten scorers in UConn history.
They also are among the leaders in games played because of the longer season and more Tourney appearances. This helps their total points.

Highest Scoring Average by Game (Career)

Wes Bialosuknia 23.6
Walt Dropo 20.7
Richard Hamilton 19.8
Ray Allen 19.0
Bob Boyd 19.0
Toby Kimball 18.4
Donyell Marshall 18.1
Bob Staak 18.1
Caron Butler 18.0
Tony Hanson 17.9

Boat is at 18 a game for 2014/15. For his career he will not make this list.

I don't want to take anything away from Boat's accomplishments. At the same time, we need to recognize what others have done in a Huskies uniform and no one comes close to Wes.

Reaction Score
They also are among the leaders in games played because of the longer season and more Tourney appearances. This helps their total points.

Highest Scoring Average by Game (Career)

Wes Bialosuknia 23.6
Walt Dropo 20.7
Richard Hamilton 19.8
Ray Allen 19.0
Bob Boyd 19.0
Toby Kimball 18.4
Donyell Marshall 18.1
Bob Staak 18.1
Caron Butler 18.0
Tony Hanson 17.9

Boat is at 18 a game for 2014/15. For his career he will not make this list.

I don't want to take anything away from Boat's accomplishments. At the same time, we need to recognize what others have done in a Huskies uniform and no one comes close to Wes.

The quality of the opposition that the 90s/00s guys faced was much higher than what Wes played against. Yeah, he had fewer games to play in, but let's not be so ridiculous as to pretend he was a better player than Ray Allen or Rip Hamilton.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The quality of the opposition that the 90s/00s guys faced was much higher than what Wes played against. Yeah, he had fewer games to play in, but let's not be so ridiculous as to pretend he was a better player than Ray Allen or Rip Hamilton.

Not a better player, No
But he and Ray would have in interesting 3pt shooting contest
Remember - no 3pters in Wes's day - imagine what the average would have been if there was. He could hit them from deep and the release and follow thru were as smooth as silk.

Reaction Score
Not a better player, No
But he and Ray would have in interesting 3pt shooting contest
Remember - no 3pters in Wes's day - imagine what the average would have been if there was. He could hit them from deep and the release and follow thru were as smooth as silk.

Don't also forget that Wes wasn't allowed to play his Freshman year. He only played 3 season as back in his day all Freshman played JV

He was 5th in the nation for PPG as a senior at 28 ppg and did it all without a 3 point line. He was a better shooter than Ray and I think some older folks would agree. He was not as good an all around player as Ray but as a shooter no one in UConn history can really compete with him. I can only imagine what his numbers would have been with a 3 point line.

Reaction Score
If Wes was a better shooter than Ray, he would have been able to stick in the ABA. Ray might be the best shooter in the history of the sport. I don't care how old you are, you're wrong about this.

Reaction Score
There was no three point line in college when Wes played. However in his one ABA season with a three point line, he was second in the league and set the all time ABA record of hitting 9 straight three pointers.

This is not say that Wes was better than Ray. But with a tiny amount of space he could kill you. And his 23 points a game will keep him on the top ten list for a long, long time.

Reaction Score
If Wes was a better shooter than Ray, he would have been able to stick in the ABA. Ray might be the best shooter in the history of the sport. I don't care how old you are, you're wrong about this.

Way off base on your assumptions. Wes willingly left playing basketball. He could have played many years if he wanted. Instead he decided that he wanted to travel the country with his gf and eventual wife and start a family. That was what was important to Wes. He enjoyed basketball but his wife and family were the most important things in his life and that's what he wanted to focus on.

Played one year and ended up 2nd in the league in 3pt% at .397 and set and ABA record for 9 3s in a row made. Dude was the greatest shooter to don a husky uniform. Ray is the greatest player.

Ray is a career 40% shooter from 3. No telling what Wes career could have been.

Reaction Score
Hard to compare players games from different eras. Yet we often do and some arguments seemingly never die. A great shooter is a great shooter regardless of era. Great shooters figure out a way to overcome various challenges to get their shot off.

I happened to go to middle school and HS with a great shooter who people said would never make it at the next level (continuously through his career). I was bummed he didn't go to UCONN. He became a 3 time Consensus All-American, 38ppg as a junior, 33ppg avg for 3 years in college, w/o 3 pt shot 13 years in NBA averaged 17.9 w/o 3-pt shot, NBA All Star and HOF @ 5'9"

Fast forward 40 years and Boat and Bazz also had their doubters on this board with similar arguments.

When I got to UCONN I quickly learned what even a blind man could tell from the snap of the net....that Wes was a really great shooter and with ridiculous range who could get his shot off with the best of them.

I'm not arguing who is the best UCONN player/shooter because I think it's impossible to judge across eras.

I just want to testify that Wes was a great great shooter and damn good player and I'm sure if he played in any era there would be no drop off in made shots just an increase in his ppg average.

Reaction Score
Where did Shabazz wind up?
This is a major reason why Boat's numbers aren't higher. He deferred so much his first 3 years, and also had some scoring company. Bazz was green lighted for 3 years and was somewhat color blind as a freshman, Boat for one maybe two.

What he is doing this year with basically little help and being double-teamed, and the focal point of every defensive scheme is historical in itself. What I love about this board and the media is that Boat's size is never put out there as an issue, even as a hinderance. He is respected as a guard, not a 'small' guard.

Reaction Score
There was no three point line in college when Wes played. However in his one ABA season with a three point line, he was second in the league and set the all time ABA record of hitting 9 straight three pointers.

Second in the ABA was .397, and he only shot them half as often as Ray did.

Way off base on your assumptions. Wes willingly left playing basketball. He could have played many years if he wanted. Instead he decided that he wanted to travel the country with his gf and eventual wife and start a family. That was what was important to Wes. He enjoyed basketball but his wife and family were the most important things in his life and that's what he wanted to focus on.

Because he was a fringe player in a second-rate league. This is not a guy who turned down a career as a star. He had a 12.5 PER and played 17.5mpg.

Reaction Score

Because he was a fringe player in a second-rate league. This is not a guy who turned down a career as a star. He had a 12.5 PER and played 17.5mpg.

It's not like Ray set the world on fire as a rookie. Who knows what would've happened to Bialosuknia if he had played longer.

Reaction Score

I think the argument is best shooter at UConn, not the NBA.

Wes Bialosuknia was a 6'2" guard, but he wasn't a 6'5" athletic guard like Allen. Wes Bialosuknia had great range, but it's difficult to compare since when Wes played there were no 3 pt shots (so his ppg are impressive). Wes only played 3 years, same as Allen. When Wes played there were less early season tournaments (so less games). They were both great in their own era. Calling Wes second-rate is not accurate though.

Reaction Score
15 Ryan Boatright 1,608, 13.8 ppg
14 Jerome Dyson 1,630, 14.4 ppg
13 Mike McKay 1,633, 14.3 ppg
12 Donyell Marshall 1,648, 18.1 ppg
11 Khalid El-Amin 1,650, 15.3 ppg
10 Cliff Robinson 1,664, 15.3 ppg
9 Wes Bialosuknia 1,673, 23.6 ppg

The jump to Kemba, at 8, is 110 points.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
If you think Wes B was a better long-range shooter than the greatest long-range shooter in NBA history, then I'm not sure what to tell you. Are you talking about agame of HORSE, or are you taking about game action? You can't compare some guy shooting over 5'11" Irish dudes in the Yankee Conference to what Ray did against 6'5" athletes from Georgetown and Syracuse.

Reaction Score
I saw both Wes and Ray play at UCONN and Wes was the best long distance shooter ever at UCONN. I wish they had his shoot chart his senior year. Unbelievable range.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Boatright (1,689 points) moved in front of Wes Bialosuknia (1,673) and into ninth place on UConn's scoring list, behind Kemba Walker (1,783).

Reaction Score
Boatright (1,689 points) moved in front of Wes Bialosuknia (1,673) and into ninth place on UConn's scoring list, behind Kemba Walker (1,783).
Here's the rest of the list:

9.) Ryan Boatright (1,689 points)
8.) Kemba Walker (1,783 points)
7.) Ben Gordon (1,795 points)
6.) Corny Thompson (1,810 points)
5.) Ray Allen (1,922 points)
4.) Shabazz Napier (1,959 points)
3.) Tony Hanson (1,990 points)
2.) Richard Hamilton (2,036 points)
1.) Chris Smith (2,145 points)

Ryan Boatright also joins Shabazz Napier as the only players to be in the top ten for scoring and assists.

Here's the list of assists leaders:

10.) Ryan Boatright (479)
9.) Khalid El-Amin (479)
8.) Ricky Moore (510)
7.) Marcus Williams (510)
6.) Karl Hobbs (534)
5.) Doron Sheffer (559)
4.) Kevin Ollie (619)
3.) Shabazz Napier (646)
2.) Tate George (677)
1.) Taliek Brown (722)

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Here's the rest of the list:

9.) Ryan Boatright (1,689 points)
8.) Kemba Walker (1,783 points)
7.) Ben Gordon (1,795 points)
6.) Corny Thompson (1,810 points)
5.) Ray Allen (1,922 points)
4.) Shabazz Napier (1,959 points)
3.) Tony Hanson (1,990 points)
2.) Richard Hamilton (2,036 points)
1.) Chris Smith (2,145 points)

Ryan Boatright also joins Shabazz Napier as the only players to be in the top ten for scoring and assists.

Here's the list of assists leaders:

10.) Ryan Boatright (479)
9.) Khalid El-Amin (479)
8.) Ricky Moore (510)
7.) Marcus Williams (510)
6.) Karl Hobbs (534)
5.) Doron Sheffer (559)
4.) Kevin Ollie (619)
3.) Shabazz Napier (646)
2.) Tate George (677)
1.) Taliek Brown (722)
and if you look at it, they never really had a dominant team that would score consistently

Reaction Score
5 points tomorrow and Boat moves past Kemba for 8th all time. 17 and he moves past Gordon for 7th. If we get into the dance Boat should finish at least 6th all time on our scoring list. Gonna miss him. What a warrior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom