UConn adds future Delaware H/H | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn adds future Delaware H/H

Reaction Score
Out scheduling debate of G5 only versus 1/2 or more P5 is like the old saying
“Keep you mouth shut and people wonder if you are an idiot, open it and leave no doubt”

Schedule no P5 and people aren’t sure if you are any good, play a bunch of P5 and people know that you aren’t

The right number is probably not less than 2 and rarely 3 or more.

Reaction Score
Tulane played essentially a CUSA schedule last year.
Yeah and ended the season 11-3 (2 losses to P5s). We’re ranked all year and we’re favorites to be the G5 entry into the NY6 bowls until they lost in the AAC championship to SMU. Ended the year as a top 30 program. If we end up 8-4 it is unlikely we get ranked. At 11-1 we probably do and have a real shot at the. CFP. Probably won’t be selected, but you never know. Better bowl, uptick in recruiting. Better crowds, more interest. More interest from a P4. And it barely matters who the 11 wins are against. We need to succeed.

Reaction Score
We need to be a top G5 to get a sniff during the next expansion. That should be the current goal.
I don't even know if that's true, if they can stack wins. I think they could go the Liberty route and schedule no one decent, but if they managed to consistently win 9-10 games a year, even as a paper tiger, that would give a conference enough cover to add a "basketball school." Football doesn't have to be dominant or even a top G5, they just have to be credible, in almost every other metric UConn is above (in some cases well above) most of the G5 (and some P5 schools, including some of the recently promoted schools). The problem is the narrative around the football program and the lack of success during Diaco and Edsall's tenure (even if they had stayed in the 5-7/6-6 range of the Pasqualoni era, they'd probably have been good enough to get an invite, before the disaster of the Diaco and Edsall eras).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Their stadium is a little more than I expected coming from the CAA

It's basically our old on campus Memorial Stadium. I think Delaware's stadium is about 2000 people larger.

Reaction Score
Yeah and ended the season 11-3 (2 losses to P5s). We’re ranked all year and we’re favorites to be the G5 entry into the NY6 bowls until they lost in the AAC championship to SMU. Ended the year as a top 30 program. If we end up 8-4 it is unlikely we get ranked. At 11-1 we probably do and have a real shot at the. CFP. Probably won’t be selected, but you never know. Better bowl, uptick in recruiting. Better crowds, more interest. More interest from a P4. And it barely matters who the 11 wins are against. We need to succeed.
I'm not advocating playing 6 P4 schools. How did UC UCF and Houston get invites? They played in the best G5 conference successfully and were historically competitive against their P4 opponents. Being successful against a schedule of 110-133 FBS schools and the very bottom of FCS is a canard. Getting humped by Michigan, Tennessee, Clemson and the like is a purely financial play. We should not be getting humped by the GA States of football world. I see your path as a way of pulling the flight stick back on the program but i dont want to see a parade of bad football teams to it.

Reaction Score
I'm not advocating playing 6 P4 schools. How did UC UCF and Houston get invites? They played in the best G5 conference successfully and were historically competitive against their P4 opponents. Being successful against a schedule of 110-133 FBS schools and the very bottom of FCS is a canard. Getting humped by Michigan, Tennessee, Clemson and the like is a purely financial play. We should not be getting humped by the GA States of football world. I see your path as a way of pulling the flight stick back on the program but i dont want to see a parade of bad football teams to it.

Your way is scheduling four to five virtually automatic losses a season. That helps nothing.

Quit crying about Georgia State. Maybe you know incredibly little. But If we ever get good enough again that the Sun Belt wanted us then that would be a good sign.

Reaction Score
And forgive me if I'm wrong but we were getting really good fan interest and attendance when we were 8 wins in the Big East.

Reaction Score
Your way is scheduling four to five virtually automatic losses a season. That helps nothing.

Quit crying about Georgia State. Maybe you know incredibly little. But If we ever get good enough again that the Sun Belt wanted us then that would be a good sign.
Free and I are having a chicken and egg disagreement. Another thing of being bad is it has given people like you license to post at a higher-than-normal rate and as often as not often as not you are a just a mean-spirited poster.

Reaction Score

Sorry to break this to you, but the Sun Belt will never want us for football only.

Reaction Score
Sorry to break this to you, but the Sun Belt will never want us for football only.

If you can get get good enough, almost anyone would want you.

But this is irrelevant to the greater point; which is we have no business holding up our noses to Sun Belt and CUSA schools that literally ran us off the field

Reaction Score
AD Dave actually gets it, I think. He says the goal is to be the top G5 program. To me if it means playing in the Sunbelt or CUSA for a bit, I’m good. I don’t look at it as dumbing down the program. I see it as trying to succeed at the level we are at. We aren’t a P4 program and no amount of wishing it were so changes that. I go to the games to watch UConn. Doesn’t matter who they play. I want to watch competive games and win. Not blowouts in either end that you can predict before the coinflip.

BTW, I watch basketball that way too. A huge piece of our fan base isn’t made up of people who care about UConn. I’ve heard them called Big East fanboys, which is pretty accurate.

Reaction Score
AD Dave actually gets it, I think. He says the goal is to be the top G5 program. To me if it means playing in the Sunbelt or CUSA for a bit, I’m good. I don’t look at it as dumbing down the program. I see it as trying to succeed at the level we are at. We aren’t a P4 program and no amount of wishing it were so changes that. I go to the games to watch UConn. Doesn’t matter who they play. I want to watch competive games and win. Not blowouts in either end that you can predict before the coinflip.

BTW, I watch basketball that way too. A huge piece of our fan base isn’t made up of people who care about UConn. I’ve heard them called Big East fanboys, which is pretty accurate.

Winning conference titles is a great way to prove that you can get it done.

Reaction Score
Correct- this is not a requirement anymore as teams were just “buying” their own tickets or using an arbitrary distribution number to get over the 15k mark previously in place

I hope we see a few more northeast schools make the jump. Holy Cross and URI could both do it. Somewhat related- wonder what happened to New Haven trying to go FBS… them and Sacred Heart would both be intriguing longer term FBS adds
I mean considering how many years Duke was around that line

Reaction Score
I mean considering how many years Duke was around that line

It’s like the posted speed limit on some seldom used rural highway that was almost never enforced.

Reaction Score

-> The UConn football program has entered into an agreement to play two future games against the University of Delaware during the 2025 and 2027 seasons, announced on Thursday.

The Huskies will make the trip to Delaware on September 13, 2025 and then host the Blue Hens on November 27, 2027. UConn's scheduled game at Purdue on September 13, 2025 has been moved to the 2029 season. <-

Highly recommend traveling to Delaware for the the away game.

My in-laws are North Dakota State alum and former season ticket holders so we drove down with them to catch North Dakota State's game at Delaware.

Had such a great time. Fun, cordial environment and while the fans are passionate, they are super cool. We were wearing NDSU gear the whole weekend, and we were welcomed with nothing but it's going to be a great game, excited that so many NDSU fans are here!

Reaction Score

-> The UConn football program has entered into an agreement to play two future games against the University of Delaware during the 2025 and 2027 seasons, announced on Thursday.

The Huskies will make the trip to Delaware on September 13, 2025 and then host the Blue Hens on November 27, 2027. UConn's scheduled game at Purdue on September 13, 2025 has been moved to the 2029 season. <-

This is terrible, especially agreeing to a home and home! If we want to be P4 we need to schedule P4 teams. I’m fine with one FCS game and 3 G5 games, but we need 8 P4 games.

Reaction Score
There are plenty of P4 teams to schedule that are not powerhouse teams. BCU, UVA, GT, Duke, Wake, Pitt, SU, Vandy, Northwestern, Rutgers, Maryland, Indiana, Illinois, Purdue, Cal, Stanford, SMU, Baylor, Texas Tech, Houston, UCF, Cincinnati, Louisville, Colorado, BYU and on and on!

Add in Army, Navy and UMass and we would have a respectable schedule that would attract recruits. Instead we will run and hide and play mostly FCS teams.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Add in Army, Navy and UMass and we would have a respectable schedule that would attract recruits. Instead we will run and hide and play mostly FCS teams.
Do you even understand what you're arguing against? Delaware will be a FBS member of CUSA by the time these games happen. They're not FCS. If you'd at least said scheduling P4 vs G5, your argument would have made sense.

Reaction Score
I'm a little underwhelmed by this addition, but beggars can't be choosers and we need to fill the schedule out as best as we can. Plus Delaware isn't too bad of a drive so could be fun to travel to the away game.

Reaction Score
Scheduling as an independent isn’t a picnic. Especially in November. BYU, as an example, was all over the place. 2022 they had 1 FCS, 6 G5s and 5 P5s. Baylor, @ Oregon, Arkansas, @ Stanford and Notre Dame in Vegas. In 2018 they played 5 but 4 were on the road. They tend to be mostly early season games, too. 2020 they played 0 P5s.

They are much more established program, at least borderline P5 Indy. Their schedule reads very much like ours does. Very front loaded and typically the P5s were 3 away 2 home. Or 2-2-1 neutral. Our schedule getting P4 games in November is pretty impressive. Getting them at home is really a big deal.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Highly recommend traveling to Delaware for the the away game.

My in-laws are North Dakota State alum and former season ticket holders so we drove down with them to catch North Dakota State's game at Delaware.

Had such a great time. Fun, cordial environment and while the fans are passionate, they are super cool. We were wearing NDSU gear the whole weekend, and we were welcomed with nothing but it's going to be a great game, excited that so many NDSU fans are here!
Amtrak station is a ten minute walk from the stadium.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom