UConn AD David Benedict Speaks At Middlesex County Chamber Of Commerce Breakfast | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn AD David Benedict Speaks At Middlesex County Chamber Of Commerce Breakfast

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
A good point Stainmaster. I was just throwing him in as an example, but you are correct in that we would not have pursued him as we should have the others.

Reaction Score
An opening neutral site game against a national brand from another conference might make sense...like Duke vs Kentucky next November 6...or like Michigan State vs Kansas the same date.

UConn in a future season could open up with one of the well regarded brands and jump right out into the national scene.
Probably well televised also, these games.
I like your thinking, we just need to earn our way back to where we are a marquee matchup.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I understand that argument, but eliminating national OOC games outside of the tournaments (where your matchups are literally the luck of the draw) is a pretty easy way to be pigeonholed as a regional player.

I don't mind cutting out the pointless OOC trips to Auburn, Washington, Stanford, or any of these other ho-hum opponents , but we shouldn't close ourselves off to marquee matchups with the likes of Gonzaga, Arizona, Texas, Florida, etc.

Stanford, Washington and Auburn are ho hum? What? When you schedule the games you don't know how strong that particular team would be, but those are big name opponents.

My hope is that we continue to schedule big tournaments, major P5 opponents to home and home games, and replace some pointless regional games with slight upgrades. We played Syracuse and Nova last year. I think two old BE foes a year is plenty. I don't think we need to play Colgate and Columbia in the same season.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
But Husky, we need to play the Colgates to get some W's, and sadly, the W isn't even guaranteed anymore. And while Stanford, Washington, and Auburn aren't perennial powers, they are the mid-level P5 teams that we used to beat, and who now beat us. I have no problem with them on the schedule, we just need a good mix of oldie-but-goodies (BE), top-level P5, mid-level P5, and the Colgates of the world. We should also look to get border rivalries going with UMASS/URI.

Last edited:
C

Chief00

You will get home games with elite opponents when UConn becomes elite again! I believe AD Dave is on the right track here.
The sooner we can set up some national elite Home and Home series the better. Take Nova out of the Big East and it’s not special.

C

Chief00

Ok - I hear you. Below is a list of national elite H and H teams (in no order) that would be acceptable to Chief. Play 4 per year.
1) KU
2) UK
3) Duke
4) UNC
5) UCLA
6) OU
7) MSU
8) AZ
9) Texas
10) OSU
11) Nova
12) Cuse
13) FL or FSU
14) TN
15) ND
16) LSU

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
If we play 4 of these teams next year that's 4 L's-these teams should be on our 4-year plan. I'd like to play 2 of these teams next year. And how did you pick these teams?

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Wait, do we know the schedule? I heard they are playing Nova at the Garden, but I didn't think the whole schedule was out.

Reaction Score
Wait, do we know the schedule? I heard they are playing Nova at the Garden, but I didn't think the whole schedule was out.
Not yet. It's done but UConn and the conference take forever to release it

C

Chief00

Gee, do you think next years schedule is made up yet? It’s awfully early.
2018/2019 opponent schedule is done - I was referring to 2019/2020,when I laid out the possible OOC opponents.
Chief

C

Chief00

If we play 4 of these teams next year that's 4 L's-these teams should be on our 4-year plan. I'd like to play 2 of these teams next year. And how did you pick these teams?
You just need to trust Chief’s judgement and experience. Too many variables to break down in detail for all the fans out there.

C

Chief00

Fify. That was too easy.
LOL - I had casual but I know that becomes an issue for some who by any objective measure are “casual” fans but whom don’t consider themselves in that category. So I did not want that to distract from my larger point.
But, yeah you are right.

Reaction Score
We do know that the Huskies play in the 2K Classic Wounded Warriors tournament...mid November

.....Iowa...Oregon...Syracuse...UConn as host teams

Eastern Washington, Green Bay, Morehead State, UMKC as visitors.

And UConn plays Villanova Dec. 22 in the MSG Showcase II

Reaction Score
I'm not sure about the new OOC strategy. I have no problems with emphasizing the northeast, but there's also part of me that wants to avoid over correcting the previous regime. For example, if we can play Syracuse and Villanova every year, then I don't think there's a pressing need for St. John's. There is value to having some national pull, even if we plan on focusing our recruiting efforts locally. It doesn't have to be Kentucky or Duke - scheduling games with Michigan or Ohio State or, say, Virginia, could pay off.

Of course, he never specifically said they won't do that, so perhaps I'm preaching to the choir. Either way, the thought that there are still six months until the start of the season is mind-boggling. The off-season was long enough back when our season didn't end the first week of March.
We are also going to keep playing in the various early season tournaments so it’s not like we never see teams from outside the northeast. This year admittedly it’s a bit “regional” in the field with us and Syracuse but also Iowa and Oregon and I heard we were also being courted for some event in Ireland but I’m wondering if that was someone confusing hockey and hoops sine hockey play in Belfast over Thanksgiving.

Reaction Score
We are also going to keep playing in the various early season tournaments so it’s not like we never see teams from outside the northeast. This year admittedly it’s a bit “regional” in the field with us and Syracuse but also Iowa and Oregon and I heard we were also being courted for some event in Ireland but I’m wondering if that was someone confusing hockey and hoops sine hockey play in Belfast over Thanksgiving.

Ireland in a couple years would be great if we'd like to get Aidan Igiehon!!

pj

Reaction Score
Ok - I hear you. Below is a list of national elite H and H teams (in no order) that would be acceptable to Chief. Play 4 per year.
1) KU
2) UK
3) Duke
4) UNC
5) UCLA
6) OU
7) MSU
8) AZ
9) Texas
10) OSU
11) Nova
12) Cuse
13) FL or FSU
14) TN
15) ND
16) LSU

Really? UCLA ahead of Cuse? OU ahead of Nova? Tennessee ahead of Notre Dame?

I think historic rivalries and geographic proximity should play a role in scheduling.

C

Chief00

Really? UCLA ahead of Cuse? OU ahead of Nova? Tennessee ahead of Notre Dame?

I think historic rivalries and geographic proximity should play a role in scheduling.

Being Chief isn’t easy. Please note, I said “(in no order)”.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I do not work for the XL Center, I only go to games there.

With your handle, I figured you were a fan of that cavernous, decrepit building, in which case I question your judgment. Just kidding. Kind of. About your judgment. The building still sucks.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
2018/2019 opponent schedule is done - I was referring to 2019/2020,when I laid out the possible OOC opponents.
Chief

Now you're signing your posts? My Lord...

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
My real name is Matt...maybe like you? And I just like the team that plays at the XL. But now that you mention it, I am a fan of dive bars and dumps and can't stand snobotoriums, so maybe I really love the building. I also have awesome memories there-my father raised my on NFL football and college hoops-specifically the Big East and Uconn, when it was the CC.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My real name is Matt...maybe like you? And I just like the team that plays at the XL. But now that you mention it, I am a fan of dive bars and dumps and can't stand snobotoriums, so maybe I really love the building. I also have awesome memories there-my father raised my on NFL football and college hoops-specifically the Big East and Uconn, when it was the CC.
Same. It still is a crap hole now though. ;)

Reaction Score
Sure sign of the casual fan. He or she fails to appreciate Chief’s insights.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom