UConn AD David Benedict Speaks At Middlesex County Chamber Of Commerce Breakfast | The Boneyard

UConn AD David Benedict Speaks At Middlesex County Chamber Of Commerce Breakfast

Reaction Score
UConn AD David Benedict Speaks At Middlesex County Chamber Of Commerce Breakfast

>>“The gravity I felt this hire means not just to the university, not just the athletic department, but our entire state, that’s something that weighed on me, heavily,” Benedict said. “I’m really proud that we were able to [hire Hurley].”

Of spending time with Hurley, Benedict said, “I don’t know that I’ve learned anything different. It’s just confirmed all the things we heard about Coach Hurley and also, in talking to him in the interview process, the things he said he would want to do and how he would go about things — those things have happened.”<<

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Seems like confirmation that we will not really be leaving NY/NJ/New England during non-conference play which echoes prior statements made by Hurley

Reaction Score
I'm not sure about the new OOC strategy. I have no problems with emphasizing the northeast, but there's also part of me that wants to avoid over correcting the previous regime. For example, if we can play Syracuse and Villanova every year, then I don't think there's a pressing need for St. John's. There is value to having some national pull, even if we plan on focusing our recruiting efforts locally. It doesn't have to be Kentucky or Duke - scheduling games with Michigan or Ohio State or, say, Virginia, could pay off.

Of course, he never specifically said they won't do that, so perhaps I'm preaching to the choir. Either way, the thought that there are still six months until the start of the season is mind-boggling. The off-season was long enough back when our season didn't end the first week of March.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure about the new OOC strategy. I have no problems with emphasizing the northeast, but there's also part of me that wants to avoid over correcting the previous regime. For example, if we can play Syracuse and Villanova every year, then I don't think there's a pressing need for St. John's. There is value to having some national pull, even if we plan on focusing our recruiting efforts locally. It doesn't have to be Kentucky or Duke - scheduling games with Michigan or Ohio State or, say, Virginia, could pay off.

Of course, he never specifically said they won't do that, so perhaps I'm preaching to the choir. Either way, the thought that there are still six months until the start of the season is mind-boggling. The off-season was long enough back when our season didn't end the first week of March.

St. John's is strategic for recruiting NYC kids.

Reaction Score

Respectfully disagree. We fly all over the country during the conference schedule. Something like:

2 Home tune-up games
Exotic tournament e.g. Atlantis/Maui
Tristate & New England games
Conference play

Is the best of both worlds. Keep the kids close to home. Don't wear them out before conference play starts and they're flying to Kansas and Houston

Reaction Score
Respectfully disagree. We fly all over the country during the conference schedule. Something like:

2 Home tune-up games
Conference play

Is the best of both worlds. Keep the kids close to home. Don't wear them out before conference play starts and they're flying to Kansas and Houston

I understand that argument, but eliminating national OOC games outside of the tournaments (where your matchups are literally the luck of the draw) is a pretty easy way to be pigeonholed as a regional player.

I don't mind cutting out the pointless OOC trips to Auburn, Washington, Stanford, or any of these other ho-hum opponents , but we shouldn't close ourselves off to marquee matchups with the likes of Gonzaga, Arizona, Texas, Florida, etc.

Reaction Score
I understand that argument, but eliminating national OOC games outside of the tournaments (where your matchups are literally the luck of the draw) is a pretty easy way to be pigeonholed as a regional player.

I don't mind cutting out the pointless OOC trips to Auburn, Washington, Stanford, or any of these other ho-hum opponents , but we shouldn't close ourselves off to marquee matchups with the likes of Gonzaga, Arizona, Texas, Florida, etc.
For one game or so, sure. But for the most part there are more benefits to staying local

Reaction Score
I think we still need to play marquee OOC games. Agree to have a focus on GT, Nova and Cuse but Cuse tends to be at MSG.

We need HOME games with elite opponents.
You will get home games with elite opponents when UConn becomes elite again! I believe AD Dave is on the right track here.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Did they serve Eggs Benedict at the breakfast?
Yeah they served eggs... and don't call me Benedict.

Reaction Score

2 Home tune-up games
Conference play

I suppose it depends in part on which preseason tournament we're playing in. This year, for example, since we're playing in the 2K classic at MSG, it might make sense to mix in a short trip to a different part of the country, particularly if finals are over and campus is dead.

But I can see how you wouldn't want a repeat of last year's disaster. We flew to Oregon, back to Storrs on a Sunday evening before classes resumed, then all the way back out to Arizona right before Christmas, then directly to Auburn, then back to Storrs, then back out to Tulsa. What a nightmare. It didn't help that we always seemed to have a game shortly after landing back in Storrs and it definitely didn't help that the team sucked.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
What does the Boneyard think about having a regional tourney at XL/Mohegan, like the old Connecticut Mutual Classic during Christmas time? Invite Uconn, Providence, BC, UMass, URI, even UVM, or some combo of these teams. As far as OOC games go, we still need to play some of the old BE rivals, but also need to play top teams from other regions. I went to the top home games this year-Nova, Wichita St., Cinci, and they were the only ones that even remotely felt like the good old days. The crowd was waiting to go nuts and we were never really in any of those games. Down 15-0 to Cinci, down 20 at half to Nova, and Wichita St. beat us handily too. We need to be able to win those games like we used to.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
As far as recruiting goes, Hurley has to land the best players in CT, and around New England. Just looking at the NCAA tourney last year, there were at least 5 kids on NCAA tourney teams who were either from CT or played high school ball in CT. We could have started them all, but Ollie didn't land any. Kids on Kentucky, Auburn, Seaton Hall, Cinci, and LIU-Brooklyn all chose not to play at Uconn. I know Calhoun missed on Ryan Gomes (he got Okafor and Butler, and they're not bad!), but for Ollie to whiff on 5-6 kids with CT ties who played in the big dance is grounds for firing IMO.

Reaction Score
What does the Boneyard think about having a regional tourney at XL/Mohegan, like the old Connecticut Mutual Classic during Christmas time? Invite Uconn, Providence, BC, UMass, URI, even UVM, or some combo of these teams. As far as OOC games go, we still need to play some of the old BE rivals, but also need to play top teams from other regions. I went to the top home games this year-Nova, Wichita St., Cinci, and they were the only ones that even remotely felt like the good old days. The crowd was waiting to go nuts and we were never really in any of those games. Down 15-0 to Cinci, down 20 at half to Nova, and Wichita St. beat us handily too. We need to be able to win those games like we used to.

Are you doing market research on behalf of the XL Center?

Reaction Score
I suppose it depends in part on which preseason tournament we're playing in. This year, for example, since we're playing in the 2K classic at MSG, it might make sense to mix in a short trip to a different part of the country, particularly if finals are over and campus is dead.

But I can see how you wouldn't want a repeat of last year's disaster. We flew to Oregon, back to Storrs on a Sunday evening before classes resumed, then all the way back out to Arizona right before Christmas, then directly to Auburn, then back to Storrs, then back out to Tulsa. What a nightmare. It didn't help that we always seemed to have a game shortly after landing back in Storrs and it definitely didn't help that the team sucked.
Yeah I'm not saying we should never leave the NE corner but I do think reducing travel is better for the players. There are enough good teams around here to fill out a schedule for a couple years

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Are you doing market research on behalf of the XL Center?

I should be! For now, I am just an overly concerned and interested fan of the men's hoops program.

Reaction Score
I should be! For now, I am just an overly concerned and interested fan of the men's hoops program.

Haha do you actually work for the XL center?? (Obviously you don't have to answer this question if you don't want to)

Reaction Score
An opening neutral site game against a national brand from another conference might make sense...like Duke vs Kentucky next November 6...or like Michigan State vs Kansas the same date.

UConn in a future season could open up with one of the well regarded brands and jump right out into the national scene.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Haha do you actually work for the XL center?? (Obviously you don't have to answer this question if you don't want to)

I do not work for the XL Center, I only go to games there.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
As far as recruiting goes, Hurley has to land the best players in CT, and around New England. Just looking at the NCAA tourney last year, there were at least 5 kids on NCAA tourney teams who were either from CT or played high school ball in CT. We could have started them all, but Ollie didn't land any. Kids on Kentucky, Auburn, Seaton Hall, Cinci, and LIU-Brooklyn all chose not to play at Uconn. I know Calhoun missed on Ryan Gomes (he got Okafor and Butler, and they're not bad!), but for Ollie to whiff on 5-6 kids with CT ties who played in the big dance is grounds for firing IMO.

Tyrn Flowers was very meh aside from one game his freshman year, and couldn't find a better landing spot than LIU. He should not be mentioned in the same sentence as Diallo and Heron, and he's nowhere near the kind of "miss" others were.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom