UConn/ACC | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn/ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Finally as a Louisville businessman I am a member of a local business organization that shall remain nameless. We have a Gentlemen's agreement not to hire UK grads in our organizations throughout the city. Most of us will deny that this agreement exists. (This had gone on in Lexington with Louisville grads for years but we just started this in the city back in the late 90's.)

Most use these simple rules: UK grads resumes go to the trash first.
If you have two employees that are equally qualified for a promotion, it goes to the UofL grad. If you have to cut employees, UK fans / grads are the first shown the door.

When it comes time to retire, we simply look for UofL grads to replace us and the cycle continues.

We like to think that are process has helped UofL strengthen its position in the city while weakening our enemy in the east.
CJ[/QUOTE]

As a business man myself, I think you are all out of your minds.....

Reaction Score
Anything on Kentucky in the "Villes" market ratings billy? As we know L'ville is one of the team's you like along with WV after FSU.

Nicky...I don't particularly "like" Louisville. I do prefer their football over UConn football.

I, of course, am an FSU fan and have been for over 40 years....but I do keep up with WVU and I always cheer against Ohio State (in memory of years of watching football with my Michigan grad dad).

I also like Alabama (I was born in Montgomery) since it was my mom's team of choice and mine when I was a young guy.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Finally as a Louisville businessman I am a member of a local business organization that shall remain nameless. We have a Gentlemen's agreement not to hire UK grads in our organizations throughout the city. Most of us will deny that this agreement exists. (This had gone on in Lexington with Louisville grads for years but we just started this in the city back in the late 90's.)

Most use these simple rules: UK grads resumes go to the trash first.
If you have two employees that are equally qualified for a promotion, it goes to the UofL grad. If you have to cut employees, UK fans / grads are the first shown the door.

When it comes time to retire, we simply look for UofL grads to replace us and the cycle continues.

We like to think that are process has helped UofL strengthen its position in the city while weakening our enemy in the east.
CJ

As a business man myself, I think you are all out of your minds.....[/QUOTE]
There are plenty of jokes available re: convenience stores and fast food restaurants being stocked with UL grads; but I won't be the first to make them.

Reaction Score
You can check back in 5 years or 500 and it won't make 1 iota of difference. Ville will always be little brother to UK. The state bleeds Kentucky Blue not Cardinal Red. Excuse me except in the Louisville, KY DMA LOL. This is no different than 15-20 similar pairings across the country. You should know this, as The ACC is chock full of them.

As for MD, your set up tells the entire story. They are competing with no less than 6 professional teams for people's free time and dollars. If they stink, which is possible, their support will remain status quo. If they win games against some name opponents, people will take note. Their situation is much like Rutgers in that they have to win regularly to carve out some local attention for themselves.

Finally, if the B1G makes anywhere near the 35-45 million dollars per team numbers that are often thrown around, how will that not help their AD make up ground? If the ACC is making 20-25 million per year am I to believe that their added travel expenses will be 10-20 million dollars per year?
Louisville has the opportunity to capture the hearts and minds of the state in football. UK won't do it and doesnt's care about it. In basketball, you're correct. But with Bobby Petrino back, already Orange Bowl and Sugar Bowl rings, Louisville has an opportunity. So yes, check back in 5 years.

As for making up the ground, Maryland subsidizes about a $20 million shortfall and Rutgers a staggering $47 million shortfall. The extra cash will help, but still a shortfall. The extra travel expense for Maryland is estimated at $30 million, but until they actually experience it, it's an estimate. The Big Ten schools will be paying it, because it was a desperate addition, and the Big Ten gave it to them to get them. They are going from being geographically central in their league to the extreme edge of their new league.

Reaction Score
Louisville has the opportunity to capture the hearts and minds of the state in football. UK won't do it and doesnt's care about it. In basketball, you're correct. But with Bobby Petrino back, already Orange Bowl and Sugar Bowl rings, Louisville has an opportunity. So yes, check back in 5 years.

As for making up the ground, Maryland subsidizes about a $20 million shortfall and Rutgers a staggering $47 million shortfall. The extra cash will help, but still a shortfall. The extra travel expense for Maryland is estimated at $30 million, but until they actually experience it, it's an estimate. The Big Ten schools will be paying it, because it was a desperate addition, and the Big Ten gave it to them to get them. They are going from being geographically central in their league to the extreme edge of their new league.
Haha, no.

Just because people aren't passionate about Kentucky football doesn't mean they'll ever give a rat's a*s about Louisville. Probably 95% of the state is loyal to the Wildcats, and I highly doubt that will ever change.

Also, it's Kentucky. Who cares about that market?

Reaction Score

No the B1G really ain't paying for it....that quoted 20M for traveling expenses often mentioned everyone "in the know" knows that was the B1G paying/offsetting for Mds expense's in exit fee penalties but used "traveling expense" to cover it on the book's. Not unusual for bookkeeping purposes to assist a brotha on the frontloaded deal but this may have been a concession in the aquisition. If the ACC had a decent TV deal Md might not have been put in this position?
Haha, no.

Just because people aren't passionate about Kentucky football doesn't mean they'll ever give a rat's a*s about Louisville. Probably 95% of the state is loyal to the Wildcats, and I highly doubt that will ever change.

Reaction Score
Haha, no.

Yes and is not Kentucky still in the SEC's footprint overshadowing the ACC yet again? If they would've taken UConn they could have taken a whole state not just another secondary school in a state well covered !! Don't get me wrong either...I think L'ville has done great thing's in a short time frame and I like how efficient their AD is but it still don't make sound business sense to pass up a flagship of a UConn's stature in a major wealthy market with an excellent AD and fine academic reputation.

Reaction Score
No the B1G really ain't paying for it....that quoted 20M for traveling expenses often mentioned everyone "in the know" knows that was the B1G paying/offsetting for Mds expense's in exit fee penalties but used "traveling expense" to cover it on the book's. Not unusual for bookkeeping purposes to assist a brotha on the frontloaded deal but this may have been a concession in the aquisition. If the ACC had a decent TV deal Md might not have been put in this position?
Read the headline of this article for me Nicky and get back to me. Thanks.
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/20...bsidy-worth-tens-maryland-athletic-department

Reaction Score
Yes and is not Kentucky still in the SEC's footprint overshadowing the ACC yet again? If they would've taken UConn they could have taken a whole state not just another secondary school in a state well covered !! Don't get me wrong either...I think L'ville has done great thing's in a short time frame and I like how efficient their AD is but it still don't make sound business sense to pass up a flagship of a UConn's stature in a major wealthy market with an excellent AD and fine academic reputation.
Nothing is overshaddowng anything in the SEC/ACC footprint. I lived in Miami for 8 years and never heard anything about the friggin SEC. They happen to have a team somewhere in Florida too. When I lived in Atlanta, I did hear about them. Georgia has more fans than Georgia Tech. I'll give you that.

As for UConn, I'd like to see the ACC invite UConn. No question about that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Shortfall's? Check back in 10 years and both schools will be DEEPLY in the black IMO or then maybe you can claim irresponsibility! Desperate? Yes desperate to get into a conference that pay's well....Why did Swoffy give away to Raycom the tier three rights...reeks of nepotism or desperation?? Md made a wise move IMO but I'll leave that up to those more in tune with the financial aspects...I see most of Mds fans now see the wisdom/necessity of the move whereas at first they were for the most part against it....BTW UMiami is more like a NE leaning area culturally than the rest of Fla with all the transplants their culture isn't an SEC culture but of course you should already now that!?!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Nothing is overshaddowng anything in the SEC/ACC footprint. I lived in Miami for 8 years and never heard anything about the friggin SEC. They happen to have a team somewhere in Florida too. When I lived in Atlanta, I did hear about them. Georgia has more fans than Georgia Tech. I'll give you that.

As for UConn, I'd like to see the ACC invite UConn. No question about that.
friggin? from bstimpy? must of shaken the unflappable!!SEC/ACC or SEC footprint(in most places outside NC/Va and Miami is still in Fla and they don't even show up to there games so the NE is more "U" territory than the Dade/Ft Lauderdale area)ACC is within the SEC FP outside NC/VA(ACC FP) ....were you 1 of the 300 in the stands in that infamous photo?

Last edited:

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

Hmmmm . . . By the article you quoted, UMD will incur $3 million more a year in travel costs in The Big10 over The ACC. So, I'm not sure where the $30 million increased costs unless you are multiplying the years by 10.

As far as "desparate situation" The Big10 was/is in, keep telling yourself that. UMD was not receiving their ACC media payout. I'm not going to argue the validity of the holdback, but the sum given to UMD was pretty close to the amount they should have received from The ACC. You believe what you want. I know you will.

Reaction Score
Hmmmm . . . By the article you quoted, UMD will incur $3 million more a year in travel costs in The Big10 over The ACC. So, I'm not sure where the $30 million increased costs unless you are multiplying the years by 10.

As far as "desparate situation" The Big10 was/is in, keep telling yourself that. UMD was not receiving their ACC media payout. I'm not going to argue the validity of the holdback, but the sum given to UMD was pretty close to the amount they should have received from The ACC. You believe what you want. I know you will.
$30 million is the number that keeps getting quoted as to what the Big Ten is giving Maryland for travel money. It is not something I just believe because I want to. I've read it reported several times. Is is a one time thing, or over time? Who knows? The Big Ten is giving that to Maryland. It is not giving that to Rutgers as far as what has been reported.

Reaction Score
friggin? from bstimpy? must of shaken the unflappable!!SEC/ACC or SEC footprint(in most places outside NC/Va and Miami is still in Fla and they don't even show up to there games so the NE is more "U" territory than the Dade/Ft Lauderdale area)ACC is within the SEC FP outside NC/VA(ACC FP) ....were you 1 of the 300 in the stands in that infamous photo?
My team just lost to Vanderbilt for the National Championship after beating Arkansas and Ole Miss. I'm tired of hearing about the friggin SEC lately. I just had to hear ESPN harp about them for two weeks while we played them in baseball. So yes I'm a little testy at the moment.

Reaction Score
I'm familiar with the product. The problem is that it is anything but fair. Learfield is also antiquated and is quickly becoming irrelevant. It is easy to see why some schools would submit fencing or woman's bowling as part of their 20 sport mix—you get points no matter how bad you are. For instance, Temple finished in the bottom half nationally in fencing, but they received 51 points, or about half of what UConn received for winning the NC in basketball. At the same time, the 150th best team in the 300 team D1 basketball receive no points (which is they way it should be). It artificially favors schools that perform poorly in uncontested sports. As I stated above, they need to proportion points based upon the number of participants and it should be weighted toward teams that win championships or finish in the top tier. Teams that finish outside of the top 10% of their respective sport should receive no points.

People can judge for themselves. Look up a particular obscure sport; see where a particularly bad school at the sport placed; and look how many points they racked up.

http://thedirectorscup.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Apr24DIRelease.pdf

It needs to change or it will simply become more and more ignored.

Do we got anything for Polo?

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Didn't we also just win an arm wrestling NC? WTF we should be the Director.
I saw that too. I caught the last couple of minutes and I think they were kids from multiple schools in Connecticut but I could be wrong. What a silly activity.

Reaction Score
Those of us in the deep south revere the watermelon seed spitting teams......Nobody north of Memphis has won an NC.

Right now, I am cheering on NC State in the NCAA lumberjack competition (they field a team).

With ESPN extending the Nathan's Hot dog eating contest for ten years...there is talk of the SEC putting together an NCAA league.

Reaction Score
Haha, no.

With no NFL franchise in sight in that state, one of the two of them has a shot to be THE football team for the state. It won't be UK, so Louisville has a shot. UK alumni won't support Louisville other than my 3 cousins who do favor UL over UK in sports, but not everyone in the state is a UK alumn. The attendance numbers over time will tell the story.

Reaction Score
Do we got anything for Polo?

No, but if Fencing, Rifle, and Water Polo can rack up 100 points why not real Polo? UConn Mens and Womens Polo would each rack up 100 points. In addition, UConn's championship runs in Paintball and Arm Wrestling could arguably be worth 90 points each.

Reaction Score
Didn't we also just win an arm wrestling NC? WTF we should be the Director.

Didn't we lose to Rutgers in the finals? It was at the hands of a "Directors"-like point system that awarded a billion points to the last two matches (of which we won one).

Having said that, we should be careful what we wish for. If arm wrestling was a sanctioned NCAA sport and Rutgers managed a win we wouldn't hear the end of it. It might be better to shelve our NCAA national championship dreams in arm wrestling for the greater good. . .

Reaction Score
The Capital One Cup may have started as an advertising vehicle, but has transformed itself into a more credible ranking system than the Directors Cup. It might not be evident to the wine and cheesers, but to the general public it is. Consider that Notre Dame only had one national championship but they were still crowned CO Cup champion because of their performance in a multitude of sports. Additionally, UConn's 3 national championships weren't diluted by gobs of points awarded from team's finishing lightyears away from the finals. The Director's Cup has a provision to evolve its system on an annual basis. They'd better get started if they want anyone to pay attention.

Reaction Score

LOL No to all of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc