UConn academics puts 2013 tourney out of reach | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn academics puts 2013 tourney out of reach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This would be the biggest disgrace ever. Not sure if I could stay a Uconn fan if this happens.

After a cogent post or two, looks like toke is back to his old self. I guess the eagle has landed.

Reaction Score
The only definitive info from the NCAA in that article is this: "The NCAA confirmed Thursday that scores from those years will be used to determine eligibility."

No mention in the article about waivers which have been granted to half the schools applying for them in the past year.

That is not definitive either. The NCAA is looking into the feasibility of speeding up the timeline for releasing the scores.

Reaction Score
Try again. It's a wire service article written by the same writer who has been on the Connecticut beat for years.
It is also an incomplete article that does not mention the waiver process or the fact that they may end up using the 2011 and 2012 scores afterall.

AP articles are not gospel.

Reaction Score
What the NCAA will do is what they can do without getting sued. Meaning... They cannot punish people retroactively.

My bet is they will start with this years APR as the first year of the new system. Only way not to cause serious ruckus...

Otherwise schools like uconn would sue and bring to light just how absurd the APR system is, make the NCAA look even stupider than it already does on most days.

Reaction Score
Not that UConn is free from blame here, but I think it's evident that the APR is a pretty way to judge academic performance. A guy like Gavin Edwards could be one or two classes away from graduation and not get credit, but then a one and done could get credit for spending eight months in college.

Reaction Score
What the NCAA will do is what they can do without getting sued. Meaning... They cannot punish people retroactively.

My bet is they will start with this years APR as the first year of the new system. Only way not to cause serious ruckus...

Otherwise schools like uconn would sue and bring to light just how absurd the APR system is, make the NCAA look even stupider than it already does on most days.

hopefully. the APR is a load of sh--, but no one cares about the truth. The NCAA just feels the need to swing their d--k around because they are feeling impotent over everything else that is happening outside their power in the college game. They do not care who gets hurt

Reaction Score
UConn will not be banned from 2013 tourney. I guaranfluckuntee that 2011-2012's scores (if they're good), will either be the one that is used in the 2 year average if released more quickly OR will be used successfully as the basis for "significant improvement" waiver. Stop getting your knickers in a twist. EDUCATE yourself before prostrating yourself on the ground sobbing like pansies.

Reaction Score
Say what? I can't believe that this is true...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-apr-uconn

Here is some more info from the CBS Sports college hoops site with a university statement and a comment from Susan Herbst.

'Connecticut, which lost two scholarships this season as a result of the latest APR report, sought clarification hoping the NCAA might use numbers from the 2010-11 and 2011-12 school years. The 2011-12 numbers are not expected to be released until May 2013, after the tournament is played.
"The University of Connecticut has received clarification today that the two APR years for determining eligibility for the 2012-13 NCAA Championships will be 2009-10 and 2010-11," the university said in a statement Thursday evening. "As all APR information is made public by the NCAA annually in May, we will have no further comment until the official data is released."
NCAA spokesman Erik Christianson confirmed the governing body's position.
"For access to postseason competition in 2012-13 and 2013-14, teams must achieve a 900 multiyear APR or a 930 average over the most recent two years to be eligible," he said in an email to the AP. "For 2012-13, those years would be 2009-10 and 2010-11. For 2013-14, those years would be 2010-11 and 2011-12."
On Wednesday, UConn President Susan Herbst said she was confident that the new rule would not be implemented until schools such as Connecticut have a chance to show they have made improvements.
"We just need time to prepare, and I think that's true for a lot of institutions," she said. "We need to get the supports in place so they can meet any new standard. I have no doubt that we'll have that chance."
Walter Harrison, the president of the University of Hartford and chairman of the NCAA's Committee on Academic Performance, seemed to indicate Thursday that was the intent.
"They are giving schools and teams a chance to change their behavior, but also doing it pretty rapidly so they are going to have to get on the stick," he said.
A message seeking comment was left for Herbst on Thursday evening.
Len Elmore, a member of the Knight Commission on Intercollegiate Athletics, called UConn's situation unfortunate, but said he was not surprised.
"It's a cautionary tale," he said. "But the need for again, focusing on the true mission of the university, is to graduate players and you can't fail at the most important task whether you're national champions or not." '

Reaction Score
UConn will not be banned from 2013 tourney. I guaranfluckuntee that 2011-2012's scores (if they're good), will either be the one that is used in the 2 year average if released more quickly OR will be used successfully as the basis for "significant improvement" waiver. Stop getting your knickers in a twist. EDUCATE yourself before prostrating yourself on the ground sobbing like pansies.

Weren't you the one reporting UConn was going to miss the 2012 tournament just a couple days ago?

Reaction Score
Weren't you the one reporting UConn was going to miss the 2012 tournament just a couple days ago?
Here is another article from the Connecticut Post. Pay close attention to Walter Harrison's comments about possible changes in data collection years used in determining tournament eligibility that would favor UConn and also re; the waiver process.

We're(Susan is) Getting Our House In Order! Honest! :)

Reaction Score
Here is another article from the Connecticut Post. Pay close attention to Walter Harrison's comments about possible changes in data collection years used in determining tournament eligibility that would favor UConn and also re; the waiver process.

We're(Susan is) Getting Our House In Order! Honest! :)

It definitely bodes well for UConn that the NCAA is looking to make a change in the process. This is a long way from over, and I'd still be very suprised if this resulted in UConn being banned from postseson tournaments. This certainly is not going to help recruiting though.

Reaction Score
Not that UConn is free from blame here, but I think it's evident that the APR is a pretty darnty way to judge academic performance. A guy like Gavin Edwards could be one or two classes away from graduation and not get credit, but then a one and done could get credit for spending eight months in college.

EXACTLY!!! Len Elmore is a self-absorbed blowhard that can kiss my arse. This isn't about graduating kids or Kentucky would have lost every scholarship and wouldn't be allowed to play in the tournament for the next four years. This is about revenge for Calhoun getting Drummond onto the team. Our biggest concern is that this doesn't affect the way the refs view our program and call our games. They seemed to be able to look beyond the noise everyone was trying to make heading into the tournament last year so, hopefully, they can do the same this year too. Because, you damn well know that this will come up again right before the tournament starts in March. Even if there is no new information, stories will fly about how this will be "UConn's last tournament for a while" because "they don't graduate their players".

What really sucks is that the NCAA is punishing the current players with this retroactive bull just as much as they are punishing Calhoun.

Reaction Score
I can't link now, but it is 900 or 2y average being much higher... So unless uconn screws it up we are safe. Then the year after or two after it goes fully to 930

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Most important thing is to let Anthony Bennett know that he can come and not miss the NCAA Tourney. Maybe text him. Text him one letter at a time. And call him every 2 minutes. Apparently that's ok now... I wonder who the most annoying NCAA coach will be with constant texting... If Steve Lappas still coached id say him

Lappas is definitely more annoying on the phone than via text. Listening to that guy doing TV analysis is painful.

I gotta think Sampson would win the most annoying award. Even with the restrictions in place, even after getting one school over for excessive contact, he still managed rack up about 1,233, 431 contacts over the limit.

Reaction Score
About recruiting, ya gotta wonder if it will be impacted more by the other rule passed today, and that's paying athletes $2k each. Not all schools are going to do this. UConn may do it, or it may not. The schools that max out the entertainment fund are going to have a huge recruiting advantage.

Reaction Score
I agree with the poster who said we could not/would not be held to a standard for which we have already been punished. Get 5 years for armed robbery, and during your second year of incarceration find you now have 10 years to serve because the lawmakers increased the sentences for armed robbery. Don't think so.

This is what ex post facto laws were abolished during the establishment of the English Anglo jurisprudence system is all about. But will Susan Herbst sue the NCAA, and when will the new rules be adjudicated out?? Not a good solution. The legal process could be an agonizingly slow process.

I agree that the rules will be somewhat modified as the weeks go by, and improvement over last year will be meaningful for 2013. There will be some corrective measures coming.

Reaction Score
Some of you need to stop taking yourselves so seriously. Look up hyperbole before you trip over your penises to post a criticism of what other people are posting.

Reaction Score
So if I understand you correctlysince the NCAA is trying to institute a new set of standards which might force UConn to miss the 2013 tournament you will stop being a fan? How do unreasonable NCAA actions cause you to cease being a fan of your team?
Uhhh fine w/e. I was just frustrated at the time. It was an emotional post. Chill... After a couple of blunts and a 40 I realize I won't abandon my fellow Uconn brethren. This is truly disappointing however. HUSKY 4 LIFE.

I have faith that justice will be served and no repercussions will take place and we will complete the 3-peat in 2013. However if we are banned at least we know we will go down as the greatest team ever to not win it all.

Reaction Score
Anyone who doesn't think the NCAA is salivating at the thought of making an example out of us is just plain naive.

Reaction Score
Anyone who doesn't think the NCAA is salivating at the thought of making an example out of us is just plain naive.

Maybe so, but it is less likely the legal system will think in those terms.

Reaction Score
who gives a crap, i didnt realize we played the 2012 season already. The NCAA is so full of and contradicts itself.

Reaction Score
Might be one of the few that likes the APR rule. Obviously sucks for us, but I think we've really let things slide in the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom