UConn +24 @ Mizzou | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn +24 @ Mizzou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My take would be it's very easy to overreact to a small sample size and the line has already come way down.

Army might be the worst FBS team in the country - they might also have the worst head coach.

That being said that is a ton of points in a game where I don't see either team having much success on offense.
You think that low,of Monken? He impressed me last year. Had them more competitive than they had any,business being in year one.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You think that low,of Monken? He impressed me last year. Had them more competitive than they had any,business being in year one.

It's a nearly impossible job... but if you just listen to him for a few minutes... he's already starting to crack and it's not going to end well.

Who are they beating outside of Bucknell?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Eh if that were the case you'd get rich betting 30 point underdogs across the board...

The issue is for a 30 point dog to be in the game in the fourth quarter. Sam Houston State doesn't often do that against the Longhorns. Troy State doesn't often do that against 'Bama.

But when a team like Jacksonville state finds itself very much in the game against a top6 team in the country in Auburn, you could see Auburn's culo tighten up big time. And that's the point. At that point in time, Auburn already felt like they lost. And that's what Mizzou will face with a gigantic spread; the expectation that we are not in the game in the 4th quarter. They'd better hope not, because then their culo will tighten up too...

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
It's a nearly impossible job... but if you just listen to him for a few minutes... he's already starting to crack and it's not going to end well.

I met a former USMA football player unexpectedly at church yesterday. I drive people, mostly young kiddos, their parents and others needing assistance, from the parking lots to the front doors in a golf cart. Anyway, on one of my trips I picked up a young couple and their children, noticed a USMA license plate frame on their vehicle and, after telling him I was a UConn alum, asked the dad if he had watched the game on Saturday. He shook his head in mild disgust and said yes he had watched the game and was, in fact, a former player. The guy was maybe 35-40 yrs old so it wasn't that long ago.

We didn't have much time to talk on our short drive but he said he was bummed by the program's decline over the last 10+ years, and offered another possible reason why it had happened. He said the ongoing wars in Iraq and Afghanistan had been taking a toll on HS recruiting, and explained to me how many West Point graduates are looking at a 5-6 yr commitment (I could have the exact # of yrs wrong) after graduation, with at least some of that time in a war zone. I'm sure that would be a bit of a deterrent to some recruits. Anyway, I thought that was an interesting perspective from someone who should know a thing or two about the situation. Next time I see him I'll try to get his name, too.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting. That is a great summary of UConn. Pretty much spot on assessment of the team. Interesting stat that UConn is actually offensively slower this year. I would never have guessed that. Offense feels more organized which I thought would have led to faster execution.

That's winning versus losing... no need to rush.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
That's winning versus losing... no need to rush.

More of a game plan thing, helped by winning. Our first 2 games - objective #1 was to keep the opponent's problematic offenses off of the field. Accomplished, mostly.

Reaction Score

Who are they beating outside of Bucknell?
This is gonna be a tough year no doubt. He was a solid coach at Ga Southern, running the same type of offensive system. Army will be a monumental task of his coaching though, as he will not be able to recruit the same way he did at his previous job most likely.

So as a coach, I don't think he is terrible. They were very competitive against a much more talented Navy team last year and he got 4 wins. He will need some time, but I think they will get some wins against Navy if he is there a while.

Reaction Score
Hey guys. Missouri fan here in peace. I definitely was shocked to see the line be as high as it was. Mizzou under Gary Pinkel is known as a "slow starting" team. Part of that is by design. He typically does not like to open up the playbook in non-conference games. Additionally, he never intentionally runs up the score in non-con. Once he has a lead he feels comfortable with, he generally stops airing it out. To add even more on top of that, Mizzou is really struggling on offense right now. Our top 4 running backs are all less than 100%, our WRs are having trouble catching the ball and our OL is having trouble blocking.

However, Mizzou's defense definitely looks salty again. Arkansas St had some success in the first half on Saturday. But once the coaches figured out what they were doing, it was game over. Mizzou only gave up 37 yards in the 2nd half. I fully expect this game to be a defensive struggle. You guys looked great against the triple option on Saturday (better than Mizzou looked in the Texas bowl against Navy in 2009). I think you will have some success against our offensive line and running game. And that will keep things fairly close throughout.

I do not think Mizzou is going to look past you guys, though. Pinkel was POd after the game on Saturday and made a point that it was going to be a tough week in practice. I think they come out focused and ready to play. In the end, I think our defense creates enough turnovers for Mizzou to eek out with a 14-17 point win.

I can't bet against my Tigers, but I would be all over taking the points otherwise. I will, however, be betting the under. Good luck to you guys after Saturday and safe travels to any Husky fans making the trip.

Reaction Score
The o/u moved from 45 to 42.5. Halftime line is 13.5 & the HT o/u 21.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is gonna be a tough year no doubt. He was a solid coach at Ga Southern, running the same type of offensive system. Army will be a monumental task of his coaching though, as he will not be able to recruit the same way he did at his previous job most likely.

So as a coach, I don't think he is terrible. They were very competitive against a much more talented Navy team last year and he got 4 wins. He will need some time, but I think they will get some wins against Navy if he is there a while.

I'm not paying that much attention to him but he strikes me as the kind of guy who can't mentally handle the amount of losing they will do while they try and turn it around.

For some reason Army keeps hiring guys that are wildly unprofessional too...

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
This is really the first legit TEST that Mizzou has faced all year so far. At least we played a really solid FCS school in 'Nova to open up. I think this ones a lot closer than people think, and the Huskies possible get a few plays to go thier way and take this upset.

Reaction Score
UConn is getting 21.5, yet the o/u is set at 41.5? I do agree that this is probably a low scoring game, making UConn +21.5 a no brainer. The closer that we get to the game, I honestly start thinking that UConn has a legitimate chance on Saturday to pull off the upset

Reaction Score
This is really the first legit TEST that Mizzou has faced all year so far. At least we played a really solid FCS school in 'Nova to open up. I think this ones a lot closer than people think, and the Huskies possible get a few plays to go thier way and take this upset.

Arkansas State was a definite test. It was the grand re-opening of their stadium after a multi-million dollar renovation and was labeled the biggest sporting event ever in NE Arkansas. We faced the likely Sun Belt champ in front of a hostile crowd. That program has quite a bit of talent, look at their last three head coaches and where they are now: Bryan Harsin (Boise St.), Gus Malzahn (Auburn), and Hugh Freeze (Ole Miss). I see that as a much bigger challenge than playing Villanova.

Reaction Score
How can someone with no betting experience with a cool $20 to blow make money on this game?

P.S. I don't live in Vegas

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Arkansas State was a definite test. It was the grand re-opening of their stadium after a multi-million dollar renovation and was labeled the biggest sporting event ever in NE Arkansas. We faced the likely Sun Belt champ in front of a hostile crowd. That program has quite a bit of talent, look at their last three head coaches and where they are now: Bryan Harsin (Boise St.), Gus Malzahn (Auburn), and Hugh Freeze (Ole Miss). I see that as a much bigger challenge than playing Villanova.

No disrespect to Arkansanians....but I had to laugh at "the biggest sporting event ever in NE Arkansas" line....lol.

But...I do agree...Ark St was definitely a tough opponent. If UConn was playing Ark St on a neutral field, I would think it would be close to a pickem'. But...whaler would probably have a better feel for that.

Reaction Score
How can someone with no betting experience with a cool $20 to blow make money on this game?

P.S. I don't live in Vegas

Keep your $20 in your pocket. On an expected value basis, that's probably your most profitable play.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well if you tease out what the lines were it looks as though Ark State would be -3/-4 on a neutral field against UConn.

I agree that Ark State hanging in was a bad thing for UConn. Less likely Mizz looks ahead now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom