Men - UConn @2024 NCAA Baseball Tourney > Super Regional in Tallahassee Florida vs. Florida State Seminoles. Gm. 2 Sat. 6/8/24 @11a on ESPN & MIXLR/Fox97.9 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Men UConn @2024 NCAA Baseball Tourney > Super Regional in Tallahassee Florida vs. Florida State Seminoles. Gm. 2 Sat. 6/8/24 @11a on ESPN & MIXLR/Fox97.9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was looking at some of FSU’s pitching numbers and it seems the usage of the staff is similar to Duke and some extent Oklahoma, that they rely on the bullpen rather then true starters. Uconn is essentially the opposite. That total of 230 plus innings pitched by the weekend staff is impressive and it’s been the difference so far. Find a way to get Game One again and against what seems to be FSU’s lone ace in terms of IP. Worked out well last weekend.

Reaction Score
Background thread: UConn in the 2024 NCAA Baseball Tournament > Norman Oklahoma Regional

View attachment 101272

Capacity6,700
Dimensions320' right - 400' center - 340' left
Alleys360-RC; 365-LC
Height of Wall10'
Height of Right Field Screen30'
Playing SurfaceNatural Grass (Bermuda)
Great facility, but I’m at a loss as to why they insisted on putting turf in the area around home plate and baselines with the natural grass being such a drawing card to that park. I’m sure maintenance was a motivator and perhaps heat related in terms effect on the dirt etc. ( kinda like the old Arlington Park in Texas). Uconn draws another great college baseball atmosphere while in the Supers. Stanford backdrop and baseball aurora is hard beat though.

Reaction Score
UConn baseball now has 6 straight years of making the NCAA Tourney, and 2 years in a row of making the super regionals. That is something, wow! Hopefully they will keep on building on these accomplishments.

Reaction Score
I used to love attending FSU games. A drive across town. Now retired in North Carolina, I don’t see them except on TV.

I’ll be on the road driving home from Quebec but Sirius might have the games.

Word from FSU guys is that the UConn pitching is superb…Ian raised eyebrows with his regional work. The mood, I would say is cautious…maybe cautiously confident for Noles. Last several seasons have been among the worst in 30 years. So…however it goes, there is a lot to celebrate.

Reaction Score
Word from FSU guys is that the UConn pitching is superb…Ian raised eyebrows with his regional work. The mood, I would say is cautious…maybe cautiously confident for Noles. Last several seasons have been among the worst in 30 years. So…however it goes, there is a lot to celebrate.
That’s a surprisingly fair stance from FSU. They deserve to be cautiously confident. Great season. Great program. But good to know they also respect us and aren’t taking us lightly.

A couple of the Oklahoma posters on their one active baseball forum were incredibly dismissive of UConn. Basically what we’ve heard before - “how’s this team from the cold snowy north and a small conference gonna come down here and possibly contend with us?”

Felt good going back and reading the meltdown they had after last night’s game ended. I’ll never visit other team’s boards during games for mojo purposes but do enjoy the occasional lurk afterwards. Also for mojo purposes, this will be my only post in the thread - a single, too-long non-baseball related post that’ll get lost in the shuffle, just like in regionals. Let’s give ‘em hell.

Reaction Score
Last season was the first and only FSU losing season….and the first missing of the NCAA’s after 44 straight appearances.

No matter what…an amazing turnaround for Coach Jarrett. FSU has one stud pitcher and after that, is hittable.

Reaction Score
I'm hoping beyond hope we can finally break through for the first time since the late 70s, and the way they played this past weekend they have the confidence and the momentum that they can absolutely do it. IF however it doesn't go our way, we've been playing with house money all tourney and with all the key pieces we're losing this off-season, this high level experience is going to be SO crucial for the ones stepping up next season. Win or lose we've got something crucial coming out of this upcoming series.

Reaction Score
I was looking at some of FSU’s pitching numbers and it seems the usage of the staff is similar to Duke and some extent Oklahoma, that they rely on the bullpen rather then true starters. Uconn is essentially the opposite. That total of 230 plus innings pitched by the weekend staff is impressive and it’s been the difference so far. Find a way to get Game One again and against what seems to be FSU’s lone ace in terms of IP. Worked out well last weekend.
Yeah. The Florida State pitching staff had bad injury luck this past season. The worst was Cam Leiter. (The nephew of former MLB pitchers, Al and Mark Leiter.) He was their no. 2 starter. It's still unclear whether he will be back in some capacity.

Anyway, they can hit, but their pitching depth isn't great.

Reaction Score
I live 4 and a Half hours from Tallahassee and I don't work on Friday. Couldn't help myself

GO HUSKIES

Screenshot_20240604_183118_Chrome.jpg

Reaction Score
Great facility, but I’m at a loss as to why they insisted on putting turf in the area around home plate and baselines with the natural grass being such a drawing card to that park. I’m sure maintenance was a motivator and perhaps heat related in terms effect on the dirt etc. ( kinda like the old Arlington Park in Texas). Uconn draws another great college baseball atmosphere while in the Supers. Stanford backdrop and baseball aurora is hard beat though.

I agree. I hate that turf.

As to the facility, Howser Stadium was a gem a couple decades ago. Unfortunately, time caught up with it and many SEC and ACC schools now have better. There has been some debate about renovating versus building new. My guess is they'll eventually build a new stadium on a nearby intramural field.

This week they poured the foundation for a new football only facility (close to the baseball stadium) and are renovating their football stadium (also nearby). I suspect they will look to upgrade their baseball situation once those projects are done and after they have some clarity on their conference/financial future.

Reaction Score
The ACC was stiff…five teams in Super Regionals.

A tornado hit the field a month ago. Blew over the right field screen and bent the foul pole. A short right field with a screen to make it a 40 foot wall. Repairs by now.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I was reminded by my cousin (a Tennessee grad living in CT), that after the SMU scandal of the mid-1980's, the next "school" to have implications of recruiting impropriety was Free Sneakers University, aka FSU :eek: :cool: some of the scumiest boosters around...

Reaction Score
Just received email from UConn at 6:30 about available tickets through the school. Wish they had notified us earlier, I would have purchased through UConn instead of FSU.

Reaction Score
Here in Florida the media thinks FSU will win. I just heard that they are surprised that UConn (known for only basketball ) is at the Super Regional. I want to call them, but I decided to change the station.

Reaction Score
For those that are familiar with the stadium, the tickets I purchased via FSU are general admission bleacher seats. Do you know if those are covered seats? When I looked at the tickets you could purchase through UConn they appeared to be chairback seats in Section 9 or 10 that are covered by an awning. I almost think it may be worth it to buy those and try to resell the General Admission bleacher seats. Do you know if the sun in the morning would be shining on the 1st or 3rd base side?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For those that are familiar with the stadium, the tickets I purchased via FSU are general admission bleacher seats. Do you know if those are covered seats? When I looked at the tickets you could purchase through UConn they appeared to be chairback seats in Section 9 or 10 that are covered by an awning. I almost think it may be worth it to buy those and try to resell the General Admission bleacher seats. Do you know if the sun in the morning would be shining on the 1st or 3rd base side?

Unfortunately, the general admission bleacher seats do not have a roof/cover. I sat in the bleachers on many hot, sunny days when I was in college. Sunscreen, finding shade during half inning breaks and drinking water got me through, but... it's uncomfortable.

The grand stand, which includes sections 9 and 10, does have a roof. You also get a more comfortable seat. However, the sun can and does shine into the grandstand depending on angle of the sun/time of day and location of your seat.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, the general admission bleacher seats do not have a roof/cover. I sat in the bleachers on many hot, sunny days when I was in college. Sunscreen, finding shade during half inning breaks and drinking water got me through, but... it's uncomfortable.

The grand stand, which includes sections 9 and 10, does have a roof. You also get a more comfortable seat. However, the sun can and does shine into the grandstand depending on angle of the sun/time of day and location of your seat.
Thanks @Eavesdrop

Reaction Score
To me, the stands running down the right field line were more sun in your face for afternoon games ( facing generally west). But both uncovered stands get sun. It’s Florida, get a tan, wear sunglasses and a hat. You’ll be good. Have a good time. Visit one of the bars/restaurants in College Town and maybe run into another blue and white wearing fan.

Reaction Score
To me, the stands running down the right field line were more sun in your face for afternoon games ( facing generally west). But both uncovered stands get sun. It’s Florida, get a tan, wear sunglasses and a hat. You’ll be good. Have a good time. Visit one of the bars/restaurants in College Town and maybe run into another blue and white wearing fan.
Thanks for info. Any bar suggestions?

Reaction Score
Thanks for info. Any bar suggestions?

There are a lot of solid options. Really depends on your tastes and where you're staying in town.

Places like Township and Madison Social in College Town have the advantage of being relatively close to the baseball stadium.

Some Tennessee Street establishments (Pour Paul's, Bullwinkles, Ken's) are popular traditional haunts of college students. Keep in mind most students are gone this time of year.

Downtown, midtown and the northeast each have popular options too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackruy1

Top Bottom