UConn 2021 scheduling - when are we filling out the rest of the card? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn 2021 scheduling - when are we filling out the rest of the card?

Reaction Score
This isn't a snarky comment, but isn't going independent in a world where P-5 conferences seem to be going to fewer non P-5 games going to mean that you will probably have 2 FCS home games every year or have an unbalanced schedule with 7 road games?

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
We're going to play Holy Cross on Saturday 9/4. So there goes my idea of breaking up NMSU/Hawaii. But at least we have a home game Labor Day weekend.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
We're going to play Holy Cross on Saturday 9/4. So there goes my idea of breaking up NMSU/Hawaii. But at least we have a home game Labor Day weekend.
Source?

Drew

Reaction Score
Source?
We amended the game contract last month to change the date from 9/2 to 9/4. Now obviously as its a FCS game we could move it again if we wanted to, but as it stands today we're playing the Crusaders on 9/4.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
This isn't a snarky comment, but isn't going independent in a world where P-5 conferences seem to be going to fewer non P-5 games going to mean that you will probably have 2 FCS home games every year or have an unbalanced schedule with 7 road games?
Interesting question but I think we have a pretty solid slate of games through 2025 at least. When this was announced, the AD actually stated that 2021 would be the toughest year for scheduling so I guess I’m not that worried. It actually seems that with a number of new FBS teams and the interest in going Indy it might work out. For example USC is studying whether the PAC still makes sense or if a ND/ACC style deal might not allow them to get more traction nationally.

Reaction Score
Idk, I think that actually makes us more attractive on the schedule. UConn is still a name brand, and a nice tune up game. It might be a problem when we start winning some of those games.

Reaction Score
After TCU's scheduled Duquesne, the Horned Toads are out of consideration for 2021. Houston, challenging sell for late Oct or late Nov at the Rent. Toss in a hoop game for a double header?

Reaction Score
2022 and subsequent schedules are populating with P5 schools including Clemson, Ohio State, UCF, Michigan, Maryland, NC State, Purdue, Tennessee, UNC Chapel Hill, Vandy, and Dook, recent NY state bowl teams Army and Buffalo, other recent bowl schools including Temple, Fresno St, Wyoming, Utah St, San Jose St, other opponents from recruiting rich target states (FL, GA, VA, PA), a coupla BCS schools off of the Mass Pike, and no evidence of more than 1 BCS opponent/season (post 2021). In 2022, UConn even enabled some school near Ontario to play 100% closer to the City.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After TCU's scheduled Duquesne, the Horned Toads are out of consideration for 2021. Houston, challenging sell for late Oct or late Nov at the Rent. Toss in a hoop game for a double header?
I had mention those possibilities in my post above along with cash considerations. Here are the details on Uconn taking Houston's away game at Vandy.

" Connecticut will replace the Cougars on Vanderbilt’s schedule — the game will also take place on Oct. 2, according to a copy of the contract obtained by Vandy247 from the University of Connecticut via open records laws. The game will not be part of a series and is instead a one-off matchup. But according to the contract, Vanderbilt will not pay UConn to come to Nashville. Opponents for nonconference "buy games" typically receive substantial payments that sometimes exceed $1 million. The contract was signed on July 14 and the buyout for the game will be $1 million. "

If Houston is the move sounds like one of those you keep the cash and play us instead that DB has made with other
schools. Don't know what Houston was to be paid to go to Vandy, but it had to be an easy sell to Vandy ( possibly splitting/taking over all costs) since it looks like they draw worse than Uconn.

Last edited:

Drew

Reaction Score
I had mention those possibilities in my post above along with cash considerations. Here are the details on Uconn taking Houston's away game at Vandy.

" Connecticut will replace the Cougars on Vanderbilt’s schedule — the game will also take place on Oct. 2, according to a copy of the contract obtained by Vandy247 from the University of Connecticut via open records laws. The game will not be part of a series and is instead a one-off matchup. But according to the contract, Vanderbilt will not pay UConn to come to Nashville. Opponents for nonconference "buy games" typically receive substantial payments that sometimes exceed $1 million. The contract was signed on July 14 and the buyout for the game will be $1 million. "

If Houston is the move sounds like one of those you keep the cash and play us instead that DB has made with other
schools. Don't know what Houston was to be paid to go to Vandy, but it had to be an easy sell to Vandy ( possibly splitting/taking over all costs) since it looks like they draw worse than Uconn.

I don't know that Houston was getting paid anything from Vanderbilt because it was part of a H/H agreement with the Cougars where the first game was played at UH in 2015.

Reaction Score
I don't know that Houston was getting paid anything from Vanderbilt because it was part of a H/H agreement with the Cougars where the first game was played at UH in 2015.
Good call, I looked, but not back that far>>>>> But we do know Houston agreed to opt out and they are now missing an FBS road game. So then the question remains what was in it for Houston to opt out ? A road payment from Uconn FB and/ or a free visit home game ? Instead of the $ 1 mil UCF is paying the Huskies to travel to FLA. DB telling them I know Kelvin wants another shot at Danny and about that AAC seperation deal, we were talking to Memphis and Cincy but ??? ....... Alot of things could be in play as I posted above...if the Cougs are #12

Last edited:

Drew

Reaction Score
Good call, I looked, but not back that far>>>>> But we do know Houston agreed to opt out and they are now missing an FBS road game. So then the question remains what was in it for Houston to opt out ? A road payment from Uconn FB and/ or a free visit home game ? Instead of the $ 1 mil UCF is paying the Huskies. DB telling them I know Kelvin wants another shot at Danny and about that AAC seperation deal, we were talkng to Memphis and Cincy but ....... Alot of things could be in play as I posted above...if the Cougs are #12
Agreed and I think UH will be on the schedule as part of at least this year's version but likely a H/H or potential 2/1 or 2/2 in the future. UH admin and UConn admin always seemed to get along. I pointed it out on Twitter yesterday but if UH would agree to play football @ UConn on 11/27 then we could also host the hoops team in Hartford and have a double header against the Cougars, although they have very little incentive to come North during the winter. UConn basketball is currently scheduled to be in the Battle 4 Atlantis in 2021 during that time but you have to assume at this point that isn't happening.

Reaction Score
Agreed and I think UH will be on the schedule as part of at least this year's version but likely a H/H or potential 2/1 or 2/2 in the future. UH admin and UConn admin always seemed to get along. I pointed it out on Twitter yesterday but if UH would agree to play football @ UConn on 11/27 then we could also host the hoops team in Hartford and have a double header against the Cougars, although they have very little incentive to come North during the winter. UConn basketball is currently scheduled to be in the Battle 4 Atlantis in 2021 during that time but you have to assume at this point that isn't happening.

As we know from recent history anything can happen down the road but by all appearances Battle 4 Atlantis is a go based on this article talking about the contracts for the Tourney being recently executed.

Drew

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
FYI you linked a twitter post about the hockey arena instead of the article you referenced in your post but that's good to hear they're planning to do it still.
Caught that... all better.

Reaction Score
Feb 8th interview with Randy. Uconn talk starts at about 33:30. Later talks 2020/ 2021, the Maryland move, Uconn going Indy & scheduling that hasn't been difficult ( getting former BE teams on the schedule including Pitt mention).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Correct -As I posted in the other thread below .... Uconn already broke up a contract last July ( Vandy -Houston). Since then Houston added a FCS game back in NOV. (Grambling St )but the Cougs are the only FBS team still short an FBS game.
So there is one simple move out there ( Houston vs. Uconn on Oct 30th or Nov 6th) since the AAC is one of the few conferences who haven't announced full schedules yet.

The shocker is the Cougs are willing to play in E. Hartford for the last game of the season...NOV 27th. Thought they
would be looking to get us on their schedule for a "warmer" date before that
...but now we know ...it is Houston at Uconn for game 12 (also gives Uconn 2 weeks off to prepare for the road trip(s) to Clemson-NOV 13 and .... UCF -NOV 20th)

2021 Houston Football Schedule Announced
"The Cougars conclude their regular season slate with a non-conference matchup at UConn on Nov. 27. "

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom