UConn 2021 scheduling - when are we filling out the rest of the card? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn 2021 scheduling - when are we filling out the rest of the card?

Reaction Score
I must say we need to get somebody else on the home schedule. 2 FCS teams, Wyoming, Middle Tennessee, Purdue. I‘m all for scheduling to succeed but it can go a little too far...
True story. Hopefully Benedict has a good opponent/draw for the RENT that he's holding on to, waiting to announce it for his 2021 season tix push in late spring. I also wish one of the beat writers brought up a game 12 to Edsall or DB when they had a chance recently at the pressers, but it is what it is.

Reaction Score
I think everyone knew 2021 would be not so great schedule wise, but even breaking up a game is tricky now unless they could do home this year away in the future. Yale suggests that strategy didn’t work for 21. Though I suppose you could buy out Holy Cross or work a deal to move them to the future if you had an opportunity.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think everyone knew 2021 would be not so great schedule wise, but even breaking up a game is tricky now unless they could do home this year away in the future. Yale suggests that strategy didn’t work for 21. Though I suppose you could buy out Holy Cross or work a deal to move them to the future if you had an opportunity.
Moving Holy Cross is easy...no sweat.

I'm going to guess that other AD's see no reason to book us in 2021 for that missing game when COVid will still be lingering and our reputation for follow through suspect. Happy to book us in the outer years, leery to book us in 2021 when its probable we could still be skipping games for the pandemic.

Reaction Score
There have always been rumors about games in TX. You figure with our recruiting there we just have to make that happen.
Very true, especially when adding in the 5 more TX kids this week. It seems like getting a TX home and home is one thing missing from a recruiting standpoint with the future scheduling. Don't know how accurate the FBS schedules website is, but 2 teams that seem to have an opening for 2021 would be Houston ( could be part of the exit games deal with the AAC ? add a hoop series too ?) and TCU.

Next year Uconn goes from five P5 games in 2020 to just three. But with all the OOC missed games in general from covid by everyone in CBF, I'm sure some programs will be shuffling around missed OOC games too. Which could make DB's job that much tougher. Besides the no show Uconn turned out to be this year, as you mentioned.

Reaction Score
Not at all worried about fall out from this year. Hey P5 teams cancelled non-conference all over the place. Remember the SEC and Big 10 both cancelled games with us, not the other way around. Tricky thing is lots of G5’s are trying to negotiate games from last year.

Reaction Score
Very true, especially when adding in the 5 more TX kids this week. It seems like getting a TX home and home is one thing missing from a recruiting standpoint with the future scheduling. Don't know how accurate the FBS schedules website is, but 2 teams that seem to have an opening for 2021 would be Houston ( could be part of the exit games deal with the AAC ? add a hoop series too ?) and TCU.

Next year Uconn goes from five P5 games in 2020 to just three. But with all the OOC missed games in general from covid by everyone in CBF, I'm sure some programs will be shuffling around missed OOC games too. Which could make DB's job that much tougher. Besides the no show Uconn turned out to be this year, as you mentioned.

TCU's open date in 2021 will be with an FCS team. That's what their schedule is every year as that's what Patterson wants and that's what he gets

Reaction Score
TCU's open date in 2021 will be with an FCS team. That's what their schedule is every year as that's what Patterson wants and that's what he gets
Good call and the B12 only plays 3 OOC games, so yup, looks like there's not much left on any of the TX teams schedules.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Alright I did some digging:

I think it would make sense for UConn to break up the currently scheduled in-season home and home that New Mexico State and Hawaii have for the 2021 season to get their last two games. UConn is currently slated to go to Fresno 8/28 and then come back on a short week to play Holy Cross on 9/2. That isn't going to happen. Here's what I propose:

Currently, NMSU is scheduled to host Hawaii on 9/25 and travel to HNL on 10/23. Hawaii is scheduled to host Portland State on 9/4.

UConn breaks (amends?) the in-season home and home with Hawaii and NMSU and goes straight from Fresno on 8/28 to Hawaii over Labor Day weekend to play on 9/4. The kids virtually attend their syllabus week classes on the road and there's no classes on Labor Day giving them extra time to recover upon returning to CT.

As a result, Hawaii moves their game with Portland State from 9/4 to 10/23

New Mexico State no longer goes to Honolulu on 10/23, and instead comes to East Hartford on a date that both teams currently have open: 10/30

UConn moves their home game against Holy Cross to 11/27 and frankly likely replaces them on the schedule with a FBS team if at all possible or finds another FCS scholarship team to play on 11/27 to end the season at home.

New schedule would look like:

UConn:

8/28 @ Fresno State
9/4 @ Hawaii
9/11 Purdue
9/18 @ Army
9/25 Wyoming
10/2 @ Vanderbilt
10/9 @ UMass
10/16 Yale
10/23 MTSU
10/30 NMSU
11/13 @ Clemson
11/20 @ UCF
11/27 Holy Cross (New FBS team if possible)

You're allowed to play 13 games if you play one of them @ Hawaii- this gives UConn 6 home games and allows the Huskies to fill out their season over Thanksgiving break at home. We'd also play at home 3 weeks in October and still keep the Idle week on 11/6 before the last 3 games of the season. Also gives us a winnable home game and fills a date on the schedule that with a fellow Independent during a time that's pretty difficult to find non-conference games.

Drew

Reaction Score
We're almost assuredly going to break up an existing contract between two teams. I looked at who still has availability on their 2021 schedules for a road game- the pickings are slim:

TCU (Needs FCS home game)
Houston (Needs FCS home game)

That's it. That's the list.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

I think it would make sense for UConn to break up the currently scheduled in-season home and home that New Mexico State and Hawaii have for the 2021 season to get their last two games. UConn is currently slated to go to Fresno 8/28 and then come back on a short week to play Holy Cross on 9/2. That isn't going to happen. Here's what I propose:

Currently, NMSU is scheduled to host Hawaii on 9/25 and travel to HNL on 10/23. Hawaii is scheduled to host Portland State on 9/4.

UConn breaks (amends?) the in-season home and home with Hawaii and NMSU and goes straight from Fresno on 8/28 to Hawaii over Labor Day weekend to play on 9/4. The kids virtually attend their syllabus week classes on the road and there's no classes on Labor Day giving them extra time to recover upon returning to CT.

I have thought about this exact concept before - but opted not to write about it because I just dont see this budget conscience program signing up for Hawaii....especially during COVid (we will be deal with strains of COVid for years).

I think if its a choice between adding NM State home/Hawaii road or just adding a third FCS game, I think they go with that third FCS game....citing the fact its a one year thing that will never happen again.

Other simpler idea, convince a school like Maryland to play them rather than an FCS program. Maryland is one program that hasn't always played an FCS program with their OOC schedule and as far as I know Maryland hasn't announced a team for that open date on their 2021 calendar.

There are a few other FBS programs (but not many) that haven't announced their FCS opponent as well - we could try begging those schools as well.

Tis true, my simpler plan would result in a schedule with just 5 home dates and 7 road dates...oh well.

Drew

Reaction Score
I have thought about this exact concept before - but opted not to write about it because I just dont see this budget conscience program signing up for Hawaii....especially during COVid (we will be deal with strains of COVid for years).

I think if its a choice between adding NM State home/Hawaii road or just adding a third FCS game, I think they go with that third FCS game....citing the fact its a one year thing that will never happen again.

Other simpler idea, convince a school like Maryland to play them rather than an FCS program. Maryland is one program that hasn't always played an FCS program with their OOC schedule and as far as I know Maryland hasn't announced a team for that open date on their 2021 calendar.

There are a few other FBS programs (but not many) that haven't announced their FCS opponent as well - we could try begging those schools as well.

Tis true, my simpler plan would result in a schedule with just 5 home dates and 7 road dates...oh well.
Maryland just announced today they're playing Howard:

I just don't see any way possible you can sell 3 FCS games to your home fan base. The game @ Hawaii as I noted earlier could be part of a negotiated H/H series with the Warriors coming to CT in a future season- include some offsetting contract language like $300k per team per visit to assist with expenses and the $ is no longer an issue. I cannot fathom the messaging the AD would have to do to convince people they aren't giving up on football after leaving the AAC to go Independent, canceling 2020, and then playing 3 FCS teams in 2021. And I can't imagine CBSSN being too happy with that being the first two years of the agreed upon TV deal either. Just don't see that being realistic.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

I just don't see any way possible you can sell 3 FCS games to your home fan base. The game @ Hawaii as I noted earlier could be part of a negotiated H/H series with the Warriors coming to CT in a future season- include some offsetting contract language like $300k per team per visit to assist with expenses and the $ is no longer an issue. I cannot fathom the messaging the AD would have to do to convince people they aren't giving up on football after leaving the AAC to go Independent, canceling 2020, and then playing 3 FCS teams in 2021. And I can't imagine CBSSN being too happy with that being the first two years of the agreed upon TV deal either. Just don't see that being realistic.

Whelp there goes Maryland.

Selling three FCS games? I dont think its a big deal. Its one season. People want wins. Of course Edsall will have to deliver some wins...three to be exact.

Drew

Reaction Score
Whelp there goes Maryland.

Selling three FCS games? I dont think its a big deal. Its one season. People want wins. Of course Edsall will have to deliver some wins...three to be exact.
it would be so UConn to go 3-9 against 3 FCS teams and have Edsall get an extension for getting for 3 wins

Reaction Score
We're almost assuredly going to break up an existing contract between two teams. I looked at who still has availability on their 2021 schedules for a road game- the pickings are slim:

Correct -As I posted in the other thread below .... Uconn already broke up a contract last July ( Vandy -Houston). Since then Houston added a FCS game back in NOV. (Grambling St )but the Cougs are the only FBS team still short an FBS game. A bunch of conferences just announced their full schedules last week ( SEC, ACC.... and B1G today)

So there is one simple move out there ( Houston vs. Uconn on Oct 30th or Nov 6th) since the AAC is one of the few conferences who haven't announced full schedules yet.

A change in scheduling philosophy-

Post #4

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Correct -As I posted in the other thread below .... Uconn already broke up a contract last July ( Vandy -Houston). Since then Houston added a FCS game back in NOV.. (Grambling St )but the Cougs are the only FBS team still short an FBS game. A bunch of conferences just announced their full schedules last week ( SEC, ACC).

So there is one simple move out there ( Houston vs. Uconn on Oct 30th or Nov 6th) since the AAC is one of the few conferences who haven't announced full schedules yet.

A change in scheduling philosophy-

Post #4

Right, I keep forgetting Houston has an open date in 2021. Now can we get them to come north???

Reaction Score
Right, I keep forgetting Houston has an open date in 2021. Now can we get them to come north???
Good question, I'd like to see a home and home for the TEX guys on the Huskies. But Uconn did take their Vandy away game. Cash considerations ? A home and home for the hoops teams too, as part of the AAC separation deal ? Could be alot in play if the Cougs are #12.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Good question, I'd like to see a home and home for the TEX guys on the Huskies. But Uconn did take their Vandy away game. Cash considerations ? A home and home for the hoops teams too, as part of the AAC separation deal ? Could be alot in play if the Cougs are #12.
Yes you have to figure all of those elements are in play. Clock is running out, time to just make a deal. We can't be choosy.

Reaction Score

As a result, Hawaii moves their game with Portland State from 9/4 to 10/23

New Mexico State no longer goes to Honolulu on 10/23, and instead comes to East Hartford on a date that both teams currently have open: 10/30

UConn moves their home game against Holy Cross to 11/27 and frankly likely replaces them on the schedule with a FBS team if at all possible or finds another FCS scholarship team to play on 11/27 to end the season at home.

New schedule would look like:

UConn:

8/28 @ Fresno State
9/4 @ Hawaii
9/11 Purdue
9/18 @ Army
9/25 Wyoming
10/2 @ Vanderbilt
10/9 @ UMass
10/16 Yale
10/23 MTSU
10/30 NMSU
11/13 @ Clemson
11/20 @ UCF
11/27 Holy Cross (New FBS team if possible)

You're allowed to play 13 games if you play one of them @ Hawaii- this gives UConn 6 home games and allows the Huskies to fill out their season over Thanksgiving break at home. We'd also play at home 3 weeks in October and still keep the Idle week on 11/6 before the last 3 games of the season. Also gives us a winnable home game and fills a date on the schedule that with a fellow Independent during a time that's pretty difficult to find non-conference games.
Ok I like this. Someone needs to pass this on to ADDave.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

I'm not sure it's still in effect but hasn't Hawaii shut off all travel to the islands because of COVID? I'm not sure that's still in effect. I know that the state just allotted $6 million to renovate on campus stadium facilities since Aloha Stadium is unsafe. So maybe they have or will be lifting those restrictions at some point. I doubt we travel out there.

Reaction Score
I think Holy Cross is a placeholder at this point. Doesn’t make any sense to play on Thursday after a trip to Fresno. That makes a game with high win potential and makes it competitive. And it can easily be moved or even pushed to a later year without too much trouble. So we could break up another game and put something together.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure it's still in effect but hasn't Hawaii shut off all travel to the islands because of COVID?.

Scheduling Hawaii may not be workable, but US domestic visitors can visit with pre-certified, negative nucleic acid amplification test results within 3 days of travel. Unsure about Oahu, but some islands require negative follow up tests within a few days after arrival.

Griggs

Yale Bowl portal 8
Reaction Score

As a season ticket holder from day one, I just want to put myself in a seat and watch Uconn football. If it happens to be 3 FCS games, so be it. 21' will hopefully be a one off season. I do believe that Uconn football has a change to be successful as an Independent. Recruiting seems to be improving. Hopefully all the pieces will fall into place.

I NEED TO TAILGATE!!!

Last edited:

Drew

Reaction Score

It's either Houston or FCS

Reaction Score
Schedule below still at 10 games which is two short. When are we rounding out this schedule? I'm bored.

Btw, the UConn website doesn't show Holy Cross (that 9/2 date doesnt work, too close to the 8/28 game in CA) or the Wyoming game.

Saturday
Aug. 28
at Fresno State BulldogsBulldog Stadium, Fresno, CATime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Thursday
Sep. 2
Holy Cross CrusadersRentschler Field, East Hartford, CTTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 11
Purdue BoilermakersRentschler Field, East Hartford, CTTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 18
at Army Black KnightsMichie Stadium, West Point, NYTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Sep. 25
Wyoming CowboysRentschler Field, East Hartford, CTTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 2
at Vanderbilt CommodoresVanderbilt Stadium, Nashville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 9
at UMass MinutemenMcGuirk Alumni Stadium, Amherst, MATime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Oct. 23
Middle Tennessee Blue RaidersRentschler Field, East Hartford, CTTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 13
at Clemson TigersMemorial Stadium, Clemson, SCTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets
Saturday
Nov. 20
at UCF KnightsBounce House, Orlando, FLTime TBA ETTV TBABuy Tickets

I think the Holy Cross game actually works... we just do a short week (a la the NFL) early, against a lessor opponent...
Then, we somehow find a game to fit in between 10/23 and 11/13 game... That's a looong time off (3 weeks????)... get a game for 10/30 at home (even go FCS at this point if you can... gain a little confidence to go up against the mighty Clemson team)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom