UConn’s plan for cutting $10 million from its athletic budget will be presented Friday and could shape the department for years to come (Amore) | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn’s plan for cutting $10 million from its athletic budget will be presented Friday and could shape the department for years to come (Amore)

Reaction Score
This hockey take is so dumb. The best they've done is 5th place and yet when they play well they put 6K-7K fannies in the seats. They aren't getting rid of hockey.
Covid killed what could have been a final 4 Friday night matchup in the TD Garden against a team like Boston College. I'm willing to bet UConn would have had a damn good showing of fans up in Boston as well.

Reaction Score
For an "outsider"...this thread has become so "UConn"...

An identity crisis of sorts. Caught between the basketball oriented Big East fan and a few fans sayin "let's play sports with the Ivies to be more like them" and the fans excited about the opportunity to upgrade football as an Indy.

It isn't really at an either-or state yet....yes, there will be some sports cut. And maybe that should have occurred some years back. UConn carries a few more than most. jmho

Reaction Score
For an "outsider"...this thread has become so "UConn"...

An identity crisis of sorts. Caught between the basketball oriented Big East fan and a few fans sayin "let's play sports with the Ivies to be more like them" and the fans excited about the opportunity to upgrade football as an Indy.

It isn't really at an either-or state yet....yes, there will be some sports cut. And maybe that should have occurred some years back. UConn carries a few more than most. jmho

Correct. We play too many sports. A solid football team will help the AD make money. The outrage should be at the acceptance of losing, not the spending on football.

Reaction Score
I have never understood the animosity some fans have between individual sports. And I certainly don’t understand how one sport is a threat to another. I went to Uconn. It’s my school. I want every sport to win every game. I want every research project to be a home run. Any success is great for the school overall. Maybe I am not the normal fan but I go to any game in any sport I can and check the results of every game we play.

Reaction Score
Those of us who support all the sports programs are definitely in the minority. The majority root solely for Men's basketball and most of those 'fans' go out of their way to drag the football team through the mud.
I'm one of those people who support all UConn teams, checking on scores in almost all sports and enjoying when they win. That said, the main reason the football team gets dragged through the mud is that they have been one of the worst teams in the country. I don't think there is a person on this board who would complain about a team that averaged 7-5 seasons. Dragging them through the mud could be considered pulling them out of the hole they have been buried in the last 6 years.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the reply, but it doesn’t address the fundamental question of why? Is it strictly a monetary issue that these fans believe supporting other teams is taking resources away from their favorite program? This seems to fly in the face of conventional wisdom that a stronger overall AD is better business for everybody.
Maybe you can ask Warde when you go to the Michigan game.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I have never understood the animosity some fans have between individual sports. And I certainly don’t understand how one sport is a threat to another. I went to Uconn. It’s my school. I want every sport to win every game. I want every research project to be a home run. Any success is great for the school overall. Maybe I am not the normal fan but I go to any game in any sport I can and check the results of every game we play.

I'm with you. I've said it before and I'll say it again; I even want the chess team to go undefeated...

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Listen to Russillo today he was talking bout some of the top schools that are still paying coaches (including us)and some of RE’s bonus structures... mama Mia!!

Reaction Score
Is there a gofund me page for any of the sports impacted? X-Country, Tennis, Golf, etc. If so, please share because I'd love to donate

Reaction Score
Maybe you can ask Warde when you go to the Michigan game.

I'll pass. I've been to AA on more than occasion. I'm in no hurry to go back any time soon. That said I figured it would be easier to ask Uconn Fans why this peculiar condition exists here and seemingly nowhere else.

Reaction Score
And don’t forget that once popular bumper sticker UConn basketball where the men are men and the women are Champions

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I'll pass. I've been to AA on more than occasion.

Congratulations. How many years sober?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Those of us who support all the sports programs are definitely in the minority. The majority root solely for Men's basketball and most of those 'fans' go out of their way to drag the football team through the mud.
This is the majority of my friends. The irony is that almost all of them were in the UCMB with me. They enjoyed watching the team and went to games after we graduated but once they caused us to have to leave the Big East, forget it. They championed the Drop the Football Program campaign. Even my in-laws agreed. It's so engrained in fans, especially those who have lived in CT for most of their lives, and I've never seen anything like it.

It's not just basketball vs football. You have Men's basketball and Women's basketball fans and many of those aren't cross over fans. Just look at the people who post on both boards and there won't be similar names. Honestly, it's mind blowing.

It's truly unique to UConn....

Reaction Score
This is the majority of my friends. The irony is that almost all of them were in the UCMB with me. They enjoyed watching the team and went to games after we graduated but once they caused us to have to leave the Big East, forget it. They championed the Drop the Football Program campaign. Even my in-laws agreed. It's so engrained in fans, especially those who have lived in CT for most of their lives, and I've never seen anything like it.

It's not just basketball vs football. You have Men's basketball and Women's basketball fans and many of those aren't cross over fans. Just look at the people who post on both boards and there won't be similar names. Honestly, it's mind blowing.

It's truly unique to UConn....

I am a general sports fan and also enjoy going to games to see friends. During my time at UConn, I think the only teams I never saw in a competition was the Golf and Cross Country teams. Heck, I even went to club Polo and Rugby games. Like everyone, I did the lottery and went to men's basketball games. Until my Junior year, I would get out of an evening class (why were all evening classes at MSB?) and grab a lower bowl seat at Gampel to catch the second half of a women’s basketball game or even volleyball. Even went to football games at Memorial and the Yale Bowl, though I remember very little of those two trips. As I had a bunch of friends from high school who swam for other Big East schools, I caught several meets in the Wolff-Zackin steam. Since I played soccer in high school myself and even played (technically sat) at the Connecticut Soccer Stadium for a High School state title game, I went to a lot of their games, such as when I watched my old teammate and keeper get swamped 6-0 against UConn in a monsoon. As a soccer player, I also unsuccessfully tried to date half of the women’s team and thus caught many of their games, too. Once in a while coming back from a soccer game, I would watch a Tennis match or two at the old courts where Burton is today. I only caught a handful of Baseball and Softball games as seating was limited. During my senior year in the Fall and Spring as I lived in Hilltop, I would take my homework on a nice afternoon and watch a Track meet or a Field Hockey games, especially as the team Captain was also a classmate from high school. Except for football, men's basketball, and men's soccer, I think it was all free. It was great being a college student.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Unseemly to succeed in other sports? I don’t get it.
There is and has for many years been a group of basketball boosters and a group of, let’s call them middle managers, in the UConn athletic Department who oppose anything that they think might take away from the basketball program in any way. They actively opposed the football upgrade, and when HEA reaches out to UConn when Vermont joined and when Notre Dame joined they lobbied against it both times. Another time in the early 2000s they did the same. The idea was to keep the hockey program at essentially a 1aa level so “we” (ie basketball) never have to worry that someone will take the limelight or maybe more importantly, any resources, from basketball. Hence, the need for Malloy to make the call and inform the University it would be going to Hockey East. If it had passed through “normal” channels it would have been doa.

Reaction Score
There is and has for many years been a group of basketball boosters and a group of, let’s call them middle managers, in the UConn athletic Department who oppose anything that they think might take away from the basketball program in any way. They actively opposed the football upgrade, and when HEA reaches out to UConn when Vermont joined and when Notre Dame joined they lobbied against it both times. Another time in the early 2000s they did the same. The idea was to keep the hockey program at essentially a 1aa level so “we” (ie basketball) never have to worry that someone will take the limelight or maybe more importantly, any resources, from basketball. Hence, the need for Malloy to make the call and inform the University it would be going to Hockey East. If it had passed through “normal” channels it would have been doa.
I have blogged on UConn hockey for 27 years and watched games for a few years before that. It comes down to political clout within the institution. Hockey doesn't have it. Football doesn't have it. Basketball does. It would be incredibly stupid to get rid of hockey. And I think it is still less than 50-50 they will go that route. But there is a significant chance still. And we have seen some incredibly stupid things out of the AD. So, do not rule it out.

Reaction Score
Hockey is not getting cut. One could argue that UConn hockey is the only UConn sport that is in a power conference. Hockey East is one of (if not the top) hockey conference There is.
I hope ice hockey is not cut. But be careful in predictions. Any capital intensive sport is high up on the chopping block just because there are more potential expenses. Some teams may be relatively immune, such as women's BB, because Gino can raise a big stink and will get attention. If the hockey coach tried, a lot less fans/media would care.

Reaction Score
If UConn cuts hockey, my women's basketball season tickets will join my hockey season tickets in the dumpster.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom