UConn’s plan for cutting $10 million from its athletic budget will be presented Friday and could shape the department for years to come (Amore) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn’s plan for cutting $10 million from its athletic budget will be presented Friday and could shape the department for years to come (Amore)

Reaction Score
UConn's polo team won several national titles. The team captured the men’s National Intercollegiate Polo Championships in 1972, 1973, and 1974 as well as the women’s National Intercollegiate Polo Championships in 1996, 1997, 1998, and 2005. The men’s teams of 1982 and 84 were Reserve National Intercollegiate Polo Champions.
I was joking, but I did know it existed and was good. Can't be Connecticut without Polo! I was worried about the "String of Poloponies".

Reaction Score
There will be some unhappy people no matter what sports are eventually cut (or scholarships get cut). Hard decisions need to be made so that the athletic budget can be balanced. The State (Tax payers) should not be subsidizing UConn athletics.

Reaction Score
I would not be shocked to see Men's Hockey cut. The basketball programs see hockey as a threat and we all know that the basketball programs get what they want at UConn. Women's Ice Hockey might stay to preserve gender equity but maybe not even them.

Reaction Score
I would not be shocked to see Men's Hockey cut. The basketball programs see hockey as a threat and we all know that the basketball programs get what they want at UConn. Women's Ice Hockey might stay to preserve gender equity but maybe not even them.
What information do you have that indicates the basketball programs view hockey as a threat? Sounds strange to me.

Reaction Score

:confused:

Reaction Score
Wow, I think this is one of the dumbest posts I have ever seen on the boneyard. Mr Tuthill may be joking, if he is then I understand but otherwise this is ridiculous .

Reaction Score
To enhance UConn’s academic image it should strengthen its women’s rowing and move its men to varsity level to compete against and beat the Ivies and other strong academic institutions which dominate men’s and women’s rowing.

A college / university is know by the schools it competes against and UConn should strive to regularly compete against Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Brown, UPenn, Dartmouth, Cornell, Columbia, Boston University, Northeaster, Syracuse University, Michigan, Cal, Washington, Stanford, and other higher profile academic schools that populate the sport of rowing.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score

This post, combined with Dan Orlovsky's recent declaration that Sam Darnold will be better than Lamar Jackson, is proof that UConn is still a dr*g school....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To enhance UConn’s academic image it should move its men’s rowing to varsity level to compete against and beat the Ivies. UConn should strive to regularly compete against Harvard and Yale.
When I was a kid growing up in New London the Yale Harvard race on the Thames River was one of the biggest spectator events in New England. There were often thousands of people lining the river and lots of spectator boats. I always wore blue that day.

Reaction Score
I’ve heard something similar. The worry is that they will become a national player while basketball is stuck at the “ strong regional” level. Not an impossible scenario.

Reaction Score
When VIrginia beat Yale in the Lacrosse Final last year in Philadelphia, announced attendance was 31,000....not too shabby.

Reaction Score
I’ve heard something similar. The worry is that they will become a national player while basketball is stuck at the “ strong regional” level. Not an impossible scenario.

Our basketball is going straight back to major, national program before our eyes. Hockey won’t hurt it and it will certainly never overshadow it.

College hockey is very regional, the Northeast and Upper Midwest are the only regions that deeply care about it. I’d like to see hockey strengthened because we are such a natural fit for playing hockey and for Hockey East. On top of that, a good hockey team sells tickets and can pull some of its own weight financially.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
UConn to Hockey East happened because Dan Malloy wanted it. Basically he made the arrangements and informed Warde and Susan. There was no big push. No plan. And there are people in the Atletic Dept who had always made sure it wouldn’t happen because it would be unseemly for UConn to have a successful nonbasketball program. The governor knew it which is why he, not UConn made the decision

Reaction Score
We can't even get far with Cavanaugh. Joke of a coach.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Wow, I think this is one of the dumbest posts I have ever seen on the boneyard. Mr Tuthill may be joking, if he is then I understand but otherwise this is ridiculous .
If he is joking why would you call it dumb? Ask him

Reaction Score
If he is joking why would you call it dumb? Ask him
Not joking. Didn't say it would be smart. In fact it would be really stupid. But UConn doesn't exactly have a track record of making smart moves in its AD.

Reaction Score
Not joking. Didn't say it would be smart. In fact it would be really stupid. But UConn doesn't exactly have a track record of making smart moves in its AD.
How and why would UConn hoops programs see hockey as a threat? Hockey is a niche regional sport. UConn hockey hasn’t done anything and have not even had one “magical season” where even casual fans jumped on board complete with a great post season run. Both UConn hoops programs are monsters. National brands. The women’s team is the best ever and the men’s team is clearly on its way back to regular Top 25 status. I don’t believe for one second that either Hurley or Geno see hockey as a threat and would laugh at the assertion. Yeah maybe one day UConn hockey will finish in the Top 3 of Hockey East let alone win the league. When Minnesota State, Bemidji State and Minnesota Duluth are top 25 schools in hockey, I don’t think you are going to get mass appeal from UConn fans. Ludicrous.

Reaction Score
How and why would UConn hoops programs see hockey as a threat? Hockey is a niche regional sport. UConn hockey hasn’t done anything and have not even had one “magical season” where even casual fans jumped on board complete with a great post season run. Both UConn hoops programs are monsters. National brands. The women’s team is the best ever and the men’s team is clearly on its way back to regular Top 25 status. I don’t believe for one second that either Hurley or Geno see hockey as a threat and would laugh at the assertion. Yeah maybe one day UConn hockey will finish in the Top 3 of Hockey East let alone win the league. When Minnesota State, Bemidji State and Minnesota Duluth are top 25 schools in hockey, I don’t think you are going to get mass appeal from UConn fans. Ludicrous.

This idea that success in one sport will somehow diminish fandom in another one must strictly be a Connecticut Thing. I swear I’ve read it nowhere else. Kentucky and Kansas are basketball first schools, but their fans seem pretty happy when their football teams experience even moderate success.

What happened to the idea that a rising tide lifts all ships? Hockey making a surprise NCAA Run shouldn’t suddenly make fans not care about basketball. If anything it should make fans more excited to experience additional success in other sports, basketball included. Somebody please explain this ______ team only fandom that exists seemingly only here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The two schools you mentioned are P5 schools in conferences bringing in mega bucks. UConn has been floundering since getting left at the altar. Combine that with a state legislature that gives the company that helped destroy UConn athletics tax breaks and a state legislature that is so divided on funding the flagship state university, what would you expect? UConn fans don't know if there will be athletics next month, let alone next year or the year after that. The other problem which as been raised repeatedly is that it seems like there are UConn fans for individual sports, but not many UConn fans that support all sports. Women's basketball fans support women's basketball. Men's basketball fans support men's basketball. Hockey fans think that hockey matters. They all hate UConn football, except for the football fans. It is that simple.

Reaction Score
The two schools you mentioned are P5 schools in conferences bringing in mega bucks. UConn has been floundering since getting left at the altar. Combine that with a state legislature that gives the company that helped destroy UConn athletics tax breaks and a state legislature that is so divided on funding the flagship state university, what would you expect? UConn fans don't know if there will be athletics next month, let alone next year or the year after that. The other problem which as been raised repeatedly is that it seems like there are UConn fans for individual sports, but not many UConn fans that support all sports. Women's basketball fans support women's basketball. Men's basketball fans support men's basketball. Hockey fans think that hockey matters. They all hate UConn football, except for the football fans. It is that simple.

While some think this way, there are many that cheer on all sports. The only problem with football is losing. Put an average+ team on the field and football is breaking even or better.

Reaction Score

Thanks for the reply, but it doesn’t address the fundamental question of why? Is it strictly a monetary issue that these fans believe supporting other teams is taking resources away from their favorite program? This seems to fly in the face of conventional wisdom that a stronger overall AD is better business for everybody.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom