UConn’s plan for cutting $10 million from its athletic budget will be presented Friday and could shape the department for years to come (Amore) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UConn’s plan for cutting $10 million from its athletic budget will be presented Friday and could shape the department for years to come (Amore)

Reaction Score
What in the world is Pat Forde going to do with his UConn men's season tx for swimming now? The day of reckoning has come, it is ugly and I hope it will be enough to prevent more cuts.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
What in the world is Pat Forde going to do with his UConn men's season tx for swimming now? The day of reckoning has come, it is ugly and I hope it will be enough to prevent more cuts.
If I recall his son was a collegiate swimmer who just had his senior season cut short. I thought I read it in his column in SI.

Reaction Score
If I recall his son was a collegiate swimmer who just had his senior season cut short. I thought I read it in his column in SI.

Forde's son swam for Georgia...the virus cut short his last season. His daughter swims for Stanford and lost her junior season. He mourned for Ionescu and every tournament bound senior as well as those in the minor sports losing their last season.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score

Pat Forde's daughter Brooke was the 2018-2019 NCAA women's champion in the 500 freestyle for Stanford. She has a good chance to be in the running for an Olympic spot in the 400 free and 400 IM. His two other kids swam at D1 schools on scholorships also, hence, his interest in the sport. But where is his support for our program, or an article on the outrage?

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
This is a post from "B1G Daddy" over on SwimSwam - Big props to him . . .

"My heart goes out to the senior class. Kyle Dunlap, Joey Homan, Rowan King, Bill Mudlaff, Josh Wroblewski. They’re trapped in that no-man’s land, too close to graduation to transfer without their diploma yet still carrying a year of eligibility. It’s likely each has swum their final college race.

I’ve heard speculation that some rising juniors may redshirt this year to gauge where to go. Somebody is going to get a GEM in Emils Jurcik. He’s a 1:45 IM’er that has gotten better every year and projects as a 1:44/1:36 200 Free type before he’s done.

Gavin Moak becomes a really interesting guy in the transfer pool. A 15:07 miler that dropped considerably as a freshman. On his improvement curve he has a chance to challenge for NCAA’s in his final three years somewhere. I hope Billy Regan and his 1:59 200 Breast finds a home as well. He’s got three years left too.

Look for North Hanson. A 4:24/15:13 combo that could really help the right school. He has two years remaining and is coming off the best season of his career.

If Jack Muratori’s last race was a :44.40 split anchoring UConn’s 400 Relay at AAC’s, that would be a shame. In Houston he looked like a guy that could be :43.0 someday. Still raw with two years to go.

Let me finish where I started, with that Class of 2021. Kyle Dunlap is one hell of a kid. A fearless anchor on numerous Freestyle and Medley Relays, he was at his best in Houston with a 20.5/44.3/1:38 combo. He has persevered at UConn and swam like a captain of the 2020-21 Huskies in Houston. You just felt like he was on the brink of something much bigger.

And I conclude, with the case of Joshua Wroblewski. In 2016 he was a Junior National A Finalist in the 500 Freestyle. In 2017 he became the fastest 17-18 200 Freestyler in Connecticut history. He chose UConn where he swam on the school record 400 Free Relay, was a 7-time AAC A finalist and got his Olympic Trials cut in the 400 Free in December. He has one year of eligibility left. Where do he and Kyle go? What are they to do, other than get their degree? Josh has already said he plans to be in Omaha in 2021 regardless, but that dream of ending his career there became so much harder today. When he takes the block in Omaha, I’ll be the guy at the top of the stands making an absolute jackass of myself for about three minutes and 53 seconds. If he’s going to do it big, he’ll have to do it largely on his own…thanks to UConn’s decision today.

That’s his story. That’s a few of their stories. Another program lost. Like UCLA, Miami, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa State, Maryland, Illinois, Fresno, Eastern Michigan, East Carolina…they’re not coming back. It’s sad to watch them picked off. Pour a little out for the fallen Huskies."

Reaction Score
I don't think this will save the $$$ the university is looking for, but here's what I think they cut:

- Men's Swim & Dive
- Men's Golf
- Men's Tennis
- Women's Tennis

These are not "team sports" - they focus on the individual and they don't help diversity numbers. As successful and well supported as they may be, they just don't improve the university's bottom line or provide enough fiscal and non-fiscal benefits to keep them on the books.

I was only 2 for 4, but I didn't realize UConn had Women's Rowing - that is an obvious choice considering their financials. That allows UConn to keep W Tennis.

Somewhat surprised they cut M Cross Country over Men's Golf. I would have thought you recruit a more diverse student-athlete for X-country over golf. And second, without a fall long-distance running team, it will be difficult to recruit long-distance runners just for track.

oh well ... This was the least damage that could have been expected.

Reaction Score
Uconn is not in a Power Conference. They don't get Power 5 dollars. Uconn's athletic department will not be able to support as many scholarship sport as they once did. Some sports will need to be cut, I feel bad for the kids on those teams that are being cut, but that's life. UConn needs to eliminate as many expenses from the athletic department as possible. They're not going to eliminate the sports that have the greatest chances of bringing in revenue.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
On the surface it looks like more men's scholarships than women's. Was expecting a more even split. And maybe it is, I don't know how many schollies we're talking.
I also think they should have done more given the economic reality. If nothing else, dropping a couple more could allow for some funds to be reallocated to football which, like it or not, is critical to our university. If this thing starts to turn around as the recruiting seems to suggest, we could have a couple more dollars to pay coaches and keep the momentum going.
Who would've guessed that women's rowing cost $1.5M?

Reaction Score
So they get ~$5-6M cutting four sports and $4-5M cutting admin expenses, changing the way scholarships are charged to the AD (a non-cash item), and fewer scholarships for a middling at best sport this AD shouldn't be sponsoring anyway i.e. golf. Would be interested in how the second category of expenses breaks down. My guess is the biggest 'savings' is in the way the AD is charged for scholarships.

Reaction Score
Glad this has finally happened as its long overdue. Now lets help the bottom line by winning some football games!

Reaction Score
Private fundraising isn't an option largely because it is so sporadic and not dependable. Needed to kick the fundraising into high gear like 10 years earlier. All of this could have been avoided.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom