UConn’s next move. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UConn’s next move.

Reaction Score
College football will become a ratings nightmare when guys like Saban leave the game? With all due respect, are you on crack?

Do you see the crowd sizes that show up to these Big 10 and SEC games?
Unfortunately, its not the crowd sizes at the games that matters. Its the eyeballs at home. They aren't watching.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, its not the crowd sizes at the games that matters. Its the eyeballs at home. They aren't watching.
my turn! my turn!
'With all due respect, are you on crack?'

'ABC’s first “Saturday Night Football” game of 2022 drew the largest prime-time audience since the concluding game of the NBA Finals and the most viewers for a regular-season college football game on ABC since 2017.'

but wait, there's more!
'On its first full week of season, college football accounted for four of the top 20 prime-time programs, including Florida State’s 24-23 victory over LSU Sunday on ABC, which averaged 7.554 million viewers, second among prime-time programs between Aug. 29 and Sunday.

The week’s only other prime-time program to top 6 million viewers was the 121-minute “America’s Got Talent” episode Aug. 30, which averaged 6.363 million viewers. The NBC talent competition’s 61-minute episode Aug. 31 was fourth for the week, averaging 5.478 million viewers.'

TV ratings: Viewers were ready for college football

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
They aren’t? I ran bars in the south. You know what our slowest days were? Saturdays during football season, because literally everyone stayed home to watch football. You’re insane if you think people don’t watch college football. I would wager it has more eyeballs weekly than most pro sports.

Reaction Score
Thats not the better question. With guys like Saban leaving the game, less people will actually care. College football will become a ratings nightmare and networks wont pay.
Yep, people will stop caring about college football once Nick Saban retires.

Somehow this makes sense in your head.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
i'll bet that right now, more than a few bowls are really hoping we make it to at least six wins. 7-5? then it could get really weird.
they like our cash potential -for them.
nutmeg money as visitors, an all that. we travel well.
and then the eyeball thing iffn only one team from New England is on the tube when the temps drop.

College Football USA - it's all aboot the benjamins.

Reaction Score
What is a reasonable guesstimate of what UConn can expect to make from the UConn Network that will launch in late November? $9.99/ months x 12 months x ??? Of households = what. How much of the $9.99/ month is profit after expenses?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
What is a reasonable guesstimate of what UConn can expect to make from the UConn Network that will launch in late November? $9.99/ months x 12 months x ??? Of households = what. How much of the $9.99/ month is profit after expenses?
It's free.

Reaction Score
Nothing?
A couple questions on UConn+ answered in this Courant story:

<UConn+ is expected to launch in late November and will stream features, live events, coaches’ shows, highlights and other on-demand content. The streaming service will be sponsorship-driven, according to UConn’s Vice President for Communications, Tysen Kendig, and the content will be free.>

<Also unaffected will be content currently available on the Big East Conference’s digital platform and its affiliation with FloSports.>

Reaction Score
College football will become a ratings nightmare when guys like Saban leave the game? With all due respect, are you on crack?

Do you see the crowd sizes that show up to these Big 10 and SEC games?
They can’t get students to Alabama games.

Reaction Score
Yep, people will stop caring about college football once Nick Saban retires.

Somehow this makes sense in your head.
Your inability to ever read beneath the actual context never ceases to amaze me. I really appreciate the few times a year you remind me of that.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Honest question, in 15 years will anyone even care about college sports? I feel like these media deals are a bubble waiting to burst. Live content for events few care for arent worth the money.

It’s a good question that does not have an answer.

But if you had to guess which direction interest would go, it would likely be down.

Realignment and the consolidation of power, influence and money into two conferences will be a headwind for every other program. Fan interest follows success; the current set up makes success unlikely outside of the B10 and SEC. (Even inside of those conferences, you are talking about a handful of teams capable of winning consistently.) The number of schools that will realistically have a shot at winning a championship will keep getting smaller, even as the playoffs get larger.

Contrast that with the NFL where the only impediment to winning is your front office. Every fan of every team, other than Viking fans, believes that their team can win a Super Bowl at some point. There’s nothing structural preventing them from doing so.

If you wanted to devise a system where college sports bleeds fans and attention, this is exactly how you would start.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Tony Soprano Nothing GIF

Reaction Score
Your inability to ever read beneath the actual context never ceases to amaze me. I really appreciate the few times a year you remind me of that.
You got a like from Spackler.

Drool on the floor.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I wonder if Louisville would leave ACC for big 12.

I would put the odds at zero.

Both conferences have their issues, but the hotels in the ACC are In nicer places than the hotels in the Big 12. You just do not want to fly to Kansas twice if you can avoid it.

But one of the worst decisions in realignment was the ACC inviting Louisville. Another, ironically, is the Big 12 not inviting Louisville.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I would put the odds at zero.

Both conferences have their issues, but the hotels in the ACC are In nicer places than the hotels in the Big 12. You just do not want to fly to Kansas twice if you can avoid it.

But one of the worst decisions in realignment was the ACC inviting Louisville. Another, ironically, is the Big 12 not inviting Louisville.
Pitt, Cinci, Louisville and WVU should have all been invited to the Big 12. UConn would be in the ACC, which should have added Rutgers before the B1G did.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It’s free. Too bad, can’t make any money off free. Need to make a Husky network where UConn gets the $$$ and not ESPN or flosports
You establish it first for visibility and then add premium content.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
It’s a good question that does not have an answer.

But if you had to guess which direction interest would go, it would likely be down.

Realignment and the consolidation of power, influence and money into two conferences will be a headwind for every other program. Fan interest follows success; the current set up makes success unlikely outside of the B10 and SEC. (Even inside of those conferences, you are talking about a handful of teams capable of winning consistently.) The number of schools that will realistically have a shot at winning a championship will keep getting smaller, even as the playoffs get larger.

Contrast that with the NFL where the only impediment to winning is your front office. Every fan of every team, other than Viking fans, believes that their team can win a Super Bowl at some point. There’s nothing structural preventing them from doing so.

If you wanted to devise a system where college sports bleeds fans and attention, this is exactly how you would start.
wrong focus.
let's review.
'College Football USA - it's all aboot the benjamins.'
are you at all familiar with the overwhelmingly predominant software used today in the residential rental business, and it's cash proven bias that less is more?
not eyeballs, or attendance, tho im highly confident that those will be more than fine 15 years from now, tho i won't get into why that's so, cuz someone will get the madds, and i'll get poofed.

'College Football USA - it's all aboot the benjamins.'
seems like amazon, apple, and others have now jumped into the broadcast game. moar to come.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Pitt, Cinci, Louisville and WVU should have all been invited to the Big 12. UConn would be in the ACC, which should have added Rutgers before the B1G did.

If there was an ounce of foresight involved, that would have happened.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom