UConn’s next move. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn’s next move.

Reaction Score
Where do those numbers come from? That's half what the ACC pays out. From The Athletic. "Schools received an average distribution of $36.1 million per institution, according to the conference"
You are right. I was reading an old article. But regardless

It still makes my point. ACC 36.1, Big10 is 54.1 and Big East is 4-7

Moving is a no brainer if it becomes available. But if its before 2026 it will cost the school upwards of 30 million

Reaction Score
I guess if your a BC fan and your down because your football and basketball teams suck.. you can always go on the boneyard and see boneyarders begging to get in your conference to cheer you up

Reaction Score

Moving is a no brainer if it becomes available. But if its before 2026 it will cost the school upwards of 30 million
So that is made up in Year 1. It doesn’t matter what the exit fee is, you just go and argue about it later. Claim they didn’t live up to some item, so you owe nothing. Then negotiate. Or just pay it. you are ahead by year 2 Even paying whatever entry fee the ACC will want. If it is the Big 10 you don’t even think about it. Even if they want you to leave in mid-season you do it. Of course that won’t happen, but if it did you just go.

Reaction Score
UConn delivers the New Haven/Hartford Market which is the 30th largest in the country.

if you add in Fairfield Couny we are top 25, maybe 22. There are only 21 or so TV markets bigger than ours, that should be sufficient for any conference, if football is competitive.

Reaction Score

Assuming we get in for 2023 (B12) that’s years 23, 24, 25. 3 years brings in 93 Million, less the 30. We go.

Reaction Score
At some point, ACC schools such as Virginia, UNC, Clemson, FSU and probably Miami and VPI will either be in the BIG or SEC. There’s just no way they stay on the sideline making 35-40 million while their contemporaries make 80-100.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
At some point, ACC schools such as Virginia, UNC, Clemson, FSU and probably Miami and VPI will either be in the BIG or SEC. There’s just no way they stay on the sideline making 35-40 million while their contemporaries make 80-100.
The companies that are paying the SEC and B1G already have the rights to those schools. Nobody is paying them to move until they can stop paying Miss ST, Vandy, Northwestern and Rutgers. If Apple or Amazon really get in the game it might change things.

Reaction Score
Honest question, in 15 years will anyone even care about college sports? I feel like these media deals are a bubble waiting to burst. Live content for events few care for arent worth the money.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Honest question, in 15 years will anyone even care about college sports? I feel like these media deals are a bubble waiting to burst. Live content for events few care for arent worth the money.
Absolutely. The better question is will college football be a thing in 30 years if individual schools are able to be sued for CTE.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. The better question is will college football be a thing in 30 years if individual schools are able to be sued for CTE.
Thats not the better question. With guys like Saban leaving the game, less people will actually care. College football will become a ratings nightmare and networks wont pay.

Reaction Score
Kind of feels that way, doesn't it? Things go in cycles. Things that go up usually go down at some point. Things that go up fast come down faster. Feels like this entire money grab in college athletics will come to a crashing halt at some point. I don't know when but I feel like it's going to happen.

Reaction Score
uconn is out of sight and out of mind for any P5 discussions and will be for the foreseeable future outside of some very niche situation where the acc is poached in about a decade or so.

im curious to know where uconn would have fallen had yall decided to stay in the aac and had some moderate success the past 3-4 years. but dropping out to indy to "save" basketball was effectively the killing blow to any future P5 conference.
I keep telling you people to close the screen door so the flies don't come in.

Reaction Score
There are no doubt schools in the ACC that are enormously concerned with what the SEC and BiG are doing with Texas/Oklahoma and USC/UCLA. Those conferences are setting themselves up for huge paydays given the markets they have and continue to penetrate. I would not be surprised if some of the ACC members try to bring the conference and media partners to the table before their GOR expire to see if a deal can be cut to join either the SEC or BiG. I have to believe Florida State, Virginia and UNC would be highly desired by either the BiG or SEC and I am sure they would be happy to go.

I just don't see what UCONN brings to the table that would entice either the BiG or the SEC. I don't think the NYC market is a viable argument and without that it's just not a major market target. When the ACC splinters UCONN will find a home with whatever results from the remainder of the ACC.
NYC vs 2!! schools from Mississippi.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
UConn delivers the New Haven/Hartford Market which is the 30th largest in the country. They also have the #5 market on one border and the #1market on the other. Don't diss the number of eyeballs UConn brings to the table. It would make a significant impact for the B10.

Now, UConn sucks at marketing and has for a long time. They have recently tried to leverage New York which is good. But they continue to ignore Boston which they shouldn't.

But even just focusing on the 3.5 million folks in Connecticut. It would put them solidly in the top half of any P5 league.
Well, if it was about media markets, the BIG would be doing everything in their power to steal BC from the ACC before they tried to get UConn.

Reaction Score
Thats not the better question. With guys like Saban leaving the game, less people will actually care. College football will become a ratings nightmare and networks wont pay.
I honestly think coaches like Saban and Dabo are hurting the game, not helping. Fans of those teams get riled up, but everyone else is sick of Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State making up 3/4 playoff teams every single year. I watch UConn games, but have mostly stopped caring about college football as a whole because of lack of parity. It's boring. Maybe playoff expansion will help. Increased parity will bring more eyes to the mix.

Reaction Score
I honestly think coaches like Saban and Dabo are hurting the game, not helping. Fans of those teams get riled up, but everyone else is sick of Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State making up 3/4 playoff teams every single year. I watch UConn games, but have mostly stopped caring about college football as a whole because of lack of parity. It's boring. Maybe playoff expansion will help. Increased parity will bring more eyes to the mix.
I wonder if college basketball fans thought the same way when UCLA was winning all those championships. I was too young at that point to know.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Do we really want to jump into a sinking ship ACC? UNC, FSU, Clemson, and Virginia are probably gone at some point. Potentially Miami, Louisville, and Duke as well.

ACC will be more like the early version of the AAC.
Sure, it’ll be like a version of the American that actually contains teams are fans give a rats patootie about going to watch while earning tens of millions of dollars more from a media contract, but other than that virtually the same thing.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
College football will become a ratings nightmare when guys like Saban leave the game? With all due respect, are you on crack?

Do you see the crowd sizes that show up to these Big 10 and SEC games?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
College football will become a ratings nightmare when guys like Saban leave the game? With all due respect, are you on crack?

Do you see the crowd sizes that show up to these Big 10 and SEC games?
few here can see anything, but they'll tell you aboot 2036, 2099, 23 skidoo, whatever. my fave is the ACC ends next tuesday, at 12:47 pm, and somehow having the zags will make us rolling in the clover. college football is the schnizzle of college athletics cash, and eyeballs, which lead to cash.
take here, for example. we have climbed off the mat, and, magically, the crowds are coming back, both at the stadium, and here at the yard.
sweeeeet. who knew?
is this where i am now expected to state some undying loyalty pledge to all things hoops, my favorite game, even tho in the real world it barely registers a blip on the cash scale compared to football?
i ain't greedy, and am now very thankful for our return to watchable and cheerable football, especially since it can help to pay the electric bill at state u.
hey snooop! u feel me?
5060160722384.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not because the UCLA dynasty ended though.

That was not the only reason, but that was a material part of it. Expanding the tournament, which was a big part of it, wouldn't have been nearly as big a deal if the same team won every year. The same reason why the college football playoffs are not as big a deal as they might be.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom