UCLA vs Oregon - 3/03/18 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCLA vs Oregon - 3/03/18

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Ionescu w/ 17 points, Hebard 15 (and 13 boards), Cazorla 14 and Bando 11.

Canada 19, Billings 18 (9 boards), Burke 14.

Reaction Score
Dean's 3 at the buzzer is just long. Ducks kinda steal one, but UCLA didn't finish strong. It's hard to beat a good team 3 times in one season, but Oregon did it to UCLA.
Oregon ended the first half with a 13-2 run, and ended the second half with a 10-0 run. Clutch when it mattered. Hebard with a double-double plus 4 blocks and a steal. Ionescu, Bando and Cazorla combined to go 56% from 3.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Oregon ended the first half with a 13-2 run, and ended the second half with a 10-0 run. Clutch when it mattered. Hebard with a double-double plus 4 blocks and a steal. Ionescu, Bando and Cazorla combined to go 56% from 3.

Good call. That's kind of like the UConn-Texas game where the Huskies went on a run at the end of every quarter.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Oregon’s 3-point shooting was big for them. Sometimes, players struggle to score late in a close game. Having a strong inside threat or a clutch shooter like Diana or Kaleena is a huge advantage.

Reaction Score
Canada has an assist:turnover ratio of 0:3 but has taken a team high 11 shots.
Shouldn't there be a little PG-bashing?

I was being sarcastic because of all the Carter and Mitchell bashing that goes on here.

Gotta take what the defense gives you.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I was being sarcastic because of all the Carter and Mitchell bashing that goes on here.

Gotta take what the defense gives you.

I thought that's what you were going for. I made sure to use a sarcasm indicator w/ an emoticon in my response.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Just another brutal loss for UCLA. They had the back-to-back overtime losses in the state of Oregon just two weeks ago, and now they go scoreless in the last 5 minutes to drop a third game to Oregon.

They really need to find their confidence to get past the Sweet 16. They should still be a high 3 seed and I could see them paired to play Texas, in what would be a rematch from a Sweet 16 game at Bridgeport two years ago.

Reaction Score
Total choke by UCLA. Very unimpressive coaching down the stretch by Close and very shaky play by someone who should be more experienced and poised in Canada.

I think Oregon is weaker than the other potential 2's yet the softest 1 may also be in Spokane with them. All because Mulkey doesn't know how to schedule. Baylor being a 1 solves an awful lot of problems especially if Louisville loses tomorrow. I don't think the ACC is strong enough based on what I have seen to justify 2 1 seeds.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I think Oregon is weaker than the other potential 2's yet the softest 1 may also be in Spokane with them. All because Mulkey doesn't know how to schedule. Baylor being a 1 solves an awful lot of problems especially if Louisville loses tomorrow. I don't think the ACC is strong enough based on what I have seen to justify 2 1 seeds.

What makes you say Oregon is weaker than the other potential 2's? And what does Baylor's scheduling have to do with it?

Reaction Score
What makes you say Oregon is weaker than the other potential 2's? And what does Baylor's scheduling have to do with it?

I think it's pretty self explanatory. I think Baylor, South Carolina, and Texas would all beat Oregon. As Mississippi State and Louisville did. In the last 2 weeks Oregon needed OVERTIME to beat UCLA and a very mediocre USC team at home. They were just handed a win by UCLA.

The only reason Baylor is in contention for a 2 is because of their non conference schedule. Almost everyone considers Mississippi State and Baylor 2 of the top 3-4 teams in the country and yet right now they seem to be destined to meet in Kansas City. I think Baylor being a 1 and the loser of Louisville-ND being a 2 would increase the leverage to make the brackets more competitively balanced and give the committee more opportunities for geographic balance.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
What have Texas and South Carolina done to prove they are clearly superior to Oregon? I haven't seen it. Texas hasn't even come close to Baylor in 2 matchups. South Carolina w/out Wilson is nothing and even with her are no match for the likes of UConn or Mississippi St.

edited--Oregon handled Texas A&M easily twice, Aggies were pretty competitive in the SEC.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I think it's pretty self explanatory. I think Baylor, South Carolina, and Texas would all beat Oregon. As Mississippi State and Louisville did. In the last 2 weeks Oregon needed OVERTIME to beat UCLA and a very mediocre USC team at home. They were just handed a win by UCLA.

The only reason Baylor is in contention for a 2 is because of their non conference schedule. Almost everyone considers Mississippi State and Baylor 2 of the top 3-4 teams in the country and yet right now they seem to be destined to meet in Kansas City. I think Baylor being a 1 and the loser of Louisville-ND being a 2 would increase the leverage to make the brackets more competitively balanced and give the committee more opportunities for geographic balance.
Baylor is the overall #5 according to the committee rankings and clearly ahead of Oregon at #6.

Not sure what makes you think South Carolina and Texas are better than Oregon. Neither one of them has beaten any of the other top 8 teams. South Carolina has losses to Tennessee and Missouri. Texas has losses to Tennessee and (ahem) TCU.

Oregon beat A&M twice, convincingly both times, once at College Station and once on a neutral court.
South Carolina, meanwhile, barely beat A&M by 2 points playing at home.

Reaction Score
Baylor is the overall #5 according to the committee rankings and clearly ahead of Oregon at #6.

Not sure what makes you think South Carolina and Texas are better than Oregon. Neither one of them has beaten any of the other top 8 teams. South Carolina has losses to Tennessee and Missouri. Texas has losses to Tennessee and (ahem) TCU.

Oregon beat A&M twice, convincingly both times, once at College Station and once on a neutral court.
South Carolina, meanwhile, barely beat A&M by 2 points playing at home.

Well if neither one of them has beaten any of the top 8 teams I'm not sure why you care if I think South Carolina and Texas are better. It's my opinion based on watching them.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Well if neither one of them has beaten any of the top 8 teams I'm not sure why you care if I think South Carolina and Texas are better. It's my opinion based on watching them.
Did you watch South Carolina lose to Missouri? Did you watch them barely beat A&M? Did you watch Texas lose to TCU?

Reaction Score
Did you watch South Carolina lose to Missouri? Did you watch them barely beat A&M? Did you watch Texas lose to TCU?

Did I watch South Carolina blow out 2 ranked teams the last 48 hours? Did I watch them have a senior All American who is arguably the best player in the country who knows how to win a championship and will go all out now in the postseason? Yes i know the supporting cast isn't great, but they only have to be very good one night. They lost to Missouri in the regular season. Oregon ALMOST lost to USC and had many other close calls.

Did I watch Texas have the ball down 2 against UConn? Yes I did. Seeing UConn has lost once in like 150 games that is impressive.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Did I watch South Carolina blow out 2 ranked teams the last 48 hours? Did I watch them have a senior All American who is arguably the best player in the country who knows how to win a championship and will go all out now in the postseason? Yes i know the supporting cast isn't great, but they only have to be very good one night. They lost to Missouri in the regular season. Oregon ALMOST lost to USC and had many other close calls.

Did I watch Texas have the ball down 2 against UConn? Yes I did. Seeing UConn has lost once in like 150 games that is impressive.
So you're telling me that you've cherry-picked the best moments of SC and Texas, and then cherry-picked the worst moments of Oregon, and are basing your "opinion" on that comparison. Got it.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
USC was in a lot of close games against good teams. You seem to think they are a bad team, but they are a difficult team to play against because of their style. UCLA is also a good team, and Oregon beat them 3 times this year. you know who didn't manage to beat UCLA? Baylor.

Reaction Score
USC was in a lot of close games against good teams. You seem to think they are a bad team, but they are a difficult team to play against because of their style. UCLA is also a good team, and Oregon beat them 3 times this year. you know who didn't manage to beat UCLA? Baylor.

Well seeing it's been alleged that Missouri is a bad team...

Plebe

Reaction Score

I really don't understand your gripe about the balancing of the brackets. It's not going to matter much which order Notre Dame, Louisville, and Baylor are placed in from overall #3 to #5. Since ND and Louisville can't be placed in the same region together, one of them will have to be paired with Baylor in the same region. Which of them is the #1 seed or the #2 seed in the region is pretty unimportant.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
So you're telling me that you've cherry-picked the best moments of SC and Texas, and then cherry-picked the worst moments of Oregon, and are basing your "opinion" on that comparison. Got it.
Didn't you cherry pick Texas' worst moment when you cited their loss at TCU? ;)

Plebe

Reaction Score
Didn't you cherry pick Texas' worst moment when you cited their loss at TCU? ;)
Of course, to counter his assertion that Texas was obviously better than Oregon, it seems only fitting to point out that Texas has lost to a much worse team than anyone Oregon has lost to.

Let's compare resumes:
Oregon has 10 wins over the RPI top 50, and 5 wins over the RPI top 25.
Texas has 5 wins over the RPI top 50, and only 1 win over the RPI top 25.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Of course, to counter his assertion that Texas was obviously better than Oregon, it seems only fitting to point out that Texas has lost to a much worse team than anyone Oregon has lost to.

Let's compare resumes:
Oregon has 10 wins over the RPI top 50, and 5 wins over the RPI top 25.
Texas has 5 wins over the RPI top 50, and only 1 win over the RPI top 25.
Maybe I misunderstood, but he wasn't arguing resume's between those teams. He was talking about who he thought would win if they went head-to-head. The word "better" definitely lends itself to opinion.

I don't know what Oregon averaged in home attendance, but unless 500-1,000 Duck fans are guaranteed to travel to Spokane (6 hour drive, I believe), then "geography" shouldn't be used to reward Oregon and keep them out West. Just my opinion, but if the committee is intent on keep Oregon out West, then that does impact the bracket (all across the #2 line).

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom