UCLA vs Oregon - 3/03/18 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UCLA vs Oregon - 3/03/18

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Wait, why shouldn't Oregon get the same benefit of geography that highly seeded teams from other parts of the country get? Spokane is a lot closer to Eugene than everywhere east of the Mississippi is. I think Oregon can easily get 500 and maybe 1000 fans there. They have a strong contingent in Seattle for the conference tourney which is at least a 4 hour and maybe more like 5 hour drive from Eugene.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Refs swallowed their whistles at the end of this game for both teams. Oregon slightly got the advantage over the non calls.

However, UCLA had their chances, but had too many empty possessions at the end of the game. Instead of driving for layups and foul calls, perhaps they should have worked for open jump shots.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
I think it's pretty self explanatory. I think Baylor, South Carolina, and Texas would all beat Oregon. As Mississippi State and Louisville did. In the last 2 weeks Oregon needed OVERTIME to beat UCLA and a very mediocre USC team at home. They were just handed a win by UCLA.

The only reason Baylor is in contention for a 2 is because of their non conference schedule. Almost everyone considers Mississippi State and Baylor 2 of the top 3-4 teams in the country and yet right now they seem to be destined to meet in Kansas City. I think Baylor being a 1 and the loser of Louisville-ND being a 2 would increase the leverage to make the brackets more competitively balanced and give the committee more opportunities for geographic balance.

I think it's worth noting that both the Louisville and Mississippi losses were on the road, with the former a short turnaround after a road game at A&M, not to mention very early in the season as well. It would be interesting to see what would happen if the 2500 mile flight went west instead of east.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I watched the 4th quarter. UCLA squandered a 5 point lead in the last 4 minutes. Why? Because suddenly it was not UCLA vs. Oregon, but rather Jordan Canada vs. Oregon. Guess who lost? A prime example of a player trying to win the game on her own and having it fail miserably. It's like she simply forgot she had 4 other talented teammates on the court with her. Sort of can't believe the HC Close allowed it...

Reaction Score
That's why I always say : Personnel, COACHING, matchups ! In a close game, it's up to the coaching staff to control the players in the last 5 minutes.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Maybe I misunderstood, but he wasn't arguing resume's between those teams. He was talking about who he thought would win if they went head-to-head. The word "better" definitely lends itself to opinion.

I don't know what Oregon averaged in home attendance, but unless 500-1,000 Duck fans are guaranteed to travel to Spokane (6 hour drive, I believe), then "geography" shouldn't be used to reward Oregon and keep them out West. Just my opinion, but if the committee is intent on keep Oregon out West, then that does impact the bracket (all across the #2 line).
Potatoes potahtoes. The only time this year that Texas has looked like a scary team was when they played UConn close. That's the only thing that has him all in a tizzy. The exact thing happened last year with Maryland, and the same person made the same mistake of panicking when the committee put Maryland as the #3 seed in UConn's bracket. This is just the repeat cycle of the same pattern.

Reaction Score
Potatoes potahtoes. The only time this year that Texas has looked like a scary team was when they played UConn close. That's the only thing that has him all in a tizzy. The exact thing happened last year with Maryland, and the same person made the same mistake of panicking when the committee put Maryland as the #3 seed in UConn's bracket. This is just the repeat cycle of the same pattern.

The only person panicking here is you.

And yeah, my comments on South Carolina were pretty much spot on. Blew out 3 ranked teams in 72 hours including #2 undefeated Miss State.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The only person panicking here is you.

And yeah, my comments on South Carolina were pretty much spot on. Blew out 3 ranked teams in 72 hours including #2 undefeated Miss State.

First of all, beating a team by 11 points is not a "blowout." Let's at least refrain from cheapening the lexicon.

This was a great win for SC today, by far their best of the season, but let's resist the urge to be prisoners of the moment. As a whole, there's nothing about SC's record this year that screams "clearly better than Oregon." If Oregon loses to Stanford tonight, then SC might nose ahead of Oregon for #6 overall, but the margin will be slim.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom