UCLA vs Mississippi St - 3/25/18 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UCLA vs Mississippi St - 3/25/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Anyone else being driven crazy by how many times UCLA lets Vivian’s go right.

AND William! She's treating the UCLA defense as if it was an uncontested layup line.

Reaction Score
This has been a really good game. Impressed with UCLA all around. They really played hard.
They did play hard, but they did not play well. UCLA had the right team and the right game plan to beat Mississippi State tonight. But they couldn't make shots and couldn't rebound. And they couldn't avoid fouling late in the game, which alone was enough to undo their comeback effort. Lots of technique and execution points on film for them to learn from this one.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The game got closer than I thought.

Very neat; but "if you're not losing, what are you learning" around 13:30 ... says the Vols are learning a lot. We'll learn from this; we'll go back and get better. True enough if you know what caused the loss and know how to fix it. Holly's favorite presser words are "I don't know."

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I thought UCLA had a real chance to do us a favor. It would have been sweet to have the bigs from Baylor, Texas, -AND- MSU out of the way.

Reaction Score
So the whole weave is to distract that all their players like to go right, McCowan shuffles her feet after she catches the ball, they called it in the SC game but not this one.

UCLA did not box out, left it too late to put on pressure and kept forgetting the scout. Plus they only have 1 player that can shoot from the outside.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
UCLA showed a lot of fight in the second half, especially Canada with the injured arm. But Miss State was just too much, too many weapons all around the floor, too much size and strength with McCowan, too well coached.

Miss State and Louisville are overwhelmingly deserving of their Final Four spots, and what a semifinal game this shapes up to be.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Vic: Praise the Lord and Go Dawgs:

We are all fans.jpg

Reaction Score
Solid win and I will take it. MSU played well enough in these two games to get to the Final Four. Not sure Louisville is someone we can beat but I'm looking forward to the game.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
They did play hard, but they did not play well. UCLA had the right team and the right game plan to beat Mississippi State tonight. But they couldn't make shots and couldn't rebound. And they couldn't avoid fouling late in the game, which alone was enough to undo their comeback effort. Lots of technique and execution points for them to learn from the film on this one.

They scored 47 2nd half points against a very good defensive team. Agree to disagree that they didn't play well. MSU was just better tonight. Good game.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Solid win and I will take it. MSU played well enough in these two games to get to the Final Four. Not sure Louisville is someone we can beat but I'm looking forward to the game.
They can beat Louisville. That game has a chance to be a classic however it goes.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Congrats to Mississippi State. Well deserved win and a spot in the Final Four. I don’t understand how anyone can leave off either Vivians or McCowan from the WBCA team. Both have been outstanding all year and proved to be again this weekend.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The difference in this game was McCowan. She stayed out of foul trouble, and played within her self, stayed in her lane and did not try to do too much. Congratulations to Vic Schaefer and his team. Louisville vs Mississippi State Friday should be a good one. I think MS wins this one unless Louisville can figure out a way to neutralize McCowan.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
A program that made one Sweet 16 in 17 years under Fanning-Otis has now made consecutive FF's in Schaefer's first 6 years.

Congrats to Schaefer and Miss St.

I will always have room in my heart for Fanning. Her teams were a bit out of control, but MSU WBB was absolutely abysmal before she arrived.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Congrats to Mississippi State. Well deserved win and a spot in the Final Four. I don’t understand how anyone can leave off either Vivians or McCowan from the WBCA team. Both have been outstanding all year and proved to be again this weekend.

McCowan has shown this weekend that any list that left her out of the Top 15 players in the country is simply wrong.

Reaction Score
I will always have room in my heart for Fanning. Her teams were a bit out of control, but MSU WBB was absolutely abysmal before she arrived.

She did well overall. The Thomas-Fambrough-White years were solid and there were some great teams at UT, LSU, Georgia and Vanderbilt during that time. I will be honest I never thought I would see the day where MSU women's basketball would be in the top 3 or 4 teams in the country.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
The difference in this game was McCowan. She stayed out of foul trouble, and played within her self, stayed in her lane and did not try to do too much. Congratulations to Vic Schaefer and his team. Louisville vs Mississippi State Friday should be a good one. I think MS wins this one unless Louisville can figure out a way to neutralize McCowan.
What's amazing is that she actually had a bad (for her) shooting night: 7 of 15. But she rebounded a lot of her own misses, and when you get 21 rebounds it makes up for a lot of missed shots.

Reaction Score

I figure MSSt is most likely to win that game. That said, Walz isn't unfamiliar with tackling a team with a really big post...

(of course, it helps to shoot lights out from 3 when you're doing it)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom