UCLA vs Mississippi St - 3/25/18 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UCLA vs Mississippi St - 3/25/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
McCowan has shown this weekend that any list that left her out of the Top 15 players in the country is simply wrong.

Top 10*

I’d put her over Kalani Brown if I picked teams today. I think Kalani Is a better player and more polished, but it’s hard to argue she’s had a better season than McCowan IMO.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
How many muggers does Jeff have to throw at McG? :oops::rolleyes:

For being pretty soft spoken, McCowan doesn’t put up with chippy stuff. Twice this year I’ve seen her shove someone away or basically slap hands away when she was getting mugged. In the Final Four, I wouldn’t be surprised if something happens after Jeff instructs his players to be extra physical with her, and after that the refs will call the game more tightly.

McCowan’s presence on the court is essential though. She’s normally very good about staying out of foul trouble, but her foul trouble really hurt against SC in the SEC tournament. If she picks up 2 quick ones, Mississippi State may have an uphill battle ahead.

Last edited:

GoDawgs4

MSU and All That Too
Reaction Score
I am sure Louisville will try to bait her into a foul or two but hopefully she will not fall for their trickery.

I did not know Louisville played USCe in the SECT finale.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
For being pretty soft spoken, McCowan doesn’t put up with chippy stuff. Twice this year I’ve seen her shove someone away or basically slap hands away when she was getting mugged. In the Final Four, I wouldn’t be surprised if something happens after Jeff instructs his players to be extra physical with her, and after that the refs will call the game more tightly.

McCowan’s presence on the court is essential though. She’s normally very good about staying out of foul trouble, but that really hurt Louisville against SC in the SEC tournament. If she picks up 2 quick ones, Mississippi State may have an uphill battle ahead.

It's pretty simple at this point. MSU has to have McCowan on the court a lot to win in the Final Four. They can beat a lot of teams without her, but not the ones we are about to face. She's been really good about not getting pointless fouls with rare exception. Those early fouls vs SC were not smart and she admitted it later. Glad it happened when it did.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I am sure Louisville will try to bait her into a foul or two but hopefully she will not fall for their trickery.

I did not know Louisville played USCe in the SECT finale.

That's right; we played MSUs.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
They did play hard, but they did not play well. UCLA had the right team and the right game plan to beat Mississippi State tonight. But they couldn't make shots and couldn't rebound. And they couldn't avoid fouling late in the game, which alone was enough to undo their comeback effort. Lots of technique and execution points for them to learn from the film on this one.

To me, this game was vintage UCLA. They play hard, are very athletic, and have some extraordinary talent on the team, but they don't execute in the half court very well, don't have reliable outside shooting, and can have difficulty finishing in general. As a result, they depend upon turning over their opponents and circus shots by Canada for a considerable amount of their scoring. When that's working, they are very successful and can mount some amazing comebacks. But it also makes them vulnerable whenever the turnovers aren't happening, or happening frequently enough, and Canada's shots aren't dropping.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This has been a really good game. Impressed with UCLA all around. They really played hard.
Congratulations! You guys looked good, hitting on all cylinders and stymied the UCLA offense while getting solid performances from everybody! McCowans size was was too much for even the versatile Billings.

Should be a good game with Louisville. I think we got to see a glimpse of how Louisville May handle McCowen by how they handled Gulich.

Last edited:

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
Congratulations! You guys looked good, hitting on all cylinders and stymied the UCLA offense while getting solid performances from everybody! McCowans size was was too much for even the versatile Billings.

Should be a good game with Louisville. I think we got to see a glimpse of how Louisville Mary handle McCowen by how they handled Gulich.

Thank you, excited for them. This may well be the best two year run by any team in MSU history, all sports. The Final Four is shaping up to be pretty epic. Nothing but 1's and 2's left.

Reaction Score
MSU played as well as they could last night. They are definitely a handful when McCowan stays on the floor and Vivians and Schaefer are hitting from outside.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Thank you, excited for them. This may well be the best two year run by any team in MSU history, all sports. The Final Four is shaping up to be pretty epic. Nothing but 1's and 2's left.

I'd have to check MSU's storied baseball history before signing off on that.

Polk was an amazing baseball coach.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
I'd have to check MSU's storied baseball history before signing off on that.

Polk was an amazing baseball coach.

Thanks for the baseball shout out. Lots of great teams, players and CWS and NCAA tourneys, but never a two year run finishing 2nd and at worst 4th. And never a NC (which may surprise some). In fact MSU has never won a team NC in anything. Quite a few individual NC's in track, but no team NC's.

the Q

Reaction Score
Thanks for the baseball shout out. Lots of great teams, players and CWS and NCAA tourneys, but never a two year run finishing 2nd and at worst 4th. And never a NC (which may surprise some). In fact MSU has never won a team NC in anything. Quite a few individual NC's in track, but no team NC's.

To be fair, baseball is entirely different.

The CWS is baseball's version of the FF.

But I'm floored that they never won a title.

And, while not entirely relevant here, Polk's Baseball Playbook is probably the best baseball coaching book ever written.

I also have a MSU CWS hat given to me by a player on the local collegiate summer league team when I was an intern there while in college. Nice kid.

Reaction Score
UCLA cut it to 6 but then just couldn't get stops. Miss State executed exceptionally well in the last 5 minutes.
By the end of the first quarter it just felt like MS was in control of the game and little doubt they would win.

Reaction Score
Top 10*

I’d put her over Kalani Brown if I picked teams today. I think Kalani Is a better player and more polished, but it’s hard to argue she’s had a better season than McCowan IMO.

I agree. Miss St (McGowan) also played against better teams since Miss St had a tougher nonconference and some may argue a tougher conference than Baylor (Brown). I am very impressed with McGowan.

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
To be fair, baseball is entirely different.

The CWS is baseball's version of the FF.

But I'm floored that they never won a title.

And, while not entirely relevant here, Polk's Baseball Playbook is probably the best baseball coaching book ever written.

I also have a MSU CWS hat given to me by a player on the local collegiate summer league team when I was an intern there while in college. Nice kid.

Wow, a Polk's Baseball Playbook reference. Very impressive. That things 40 years old. Is it still used extensively by coaches?

the Q

Reaction Score
Wow, a Polk's Baseball Playbook reference. Very impressive. That things 40 years old. Is it still used extensively by coaches?

Basically.

Great books are timeless.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
I think Antonelli said "Onion ring" instead of Onyenweare
For the record, I re-watched the 2nd half of the Miss State game this morning on ESPNU and she really did say it ca. 8:45 4Q during a FT clock stoppage. Still one of the best games of the tourney so far.

Reaction Score
For the record, I re-watched the 2nd half of the Miss State game this morning on ESPNU and she really did say it ca. 8:45 4Q during a FT clock stoppage. Still one of the best games of the tourney so far.

Just for the record Antonelli was not at this game.

upload_2018-3-26_12-52-11.png

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Just so there is no doubt about what an absolute miserable ***** I am, my favorite memories of Gail all have her looking like this:

deer-in-headlights-clip-artdeer-in-the-headlights-clipart-1275_1275.jpg

She broke on the rock that is Geno. Now, some dookie has to come out and show the heart break shot video, which is fair. :(

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom