UCLA Postgame Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

UCLA Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Ducharme was really good defensively on Osborne. I think her blocks came at really critical moments for UConn, come tournament time I think she will be more than ready.
For her third or 4th game as a Husky Caroline is fitting in well. She is a terrific defender, she is very good on man to man, her long arms helps a lot, her shooting including 3's and layups is pretty near or better than Williams.. Geno seems to like her, if you believe the minutes she is getting.

Reaction Score
I was looking at Paige's stats on ESPN.

Her 3P% is 31, a little higher than 27, but not great compared with 46 last season. Her FT% is also down, 77 from 87 last year. But her FG% is up, 56 compared with 52 last season, as are her rebounds, assists, steals, blocks, and points, all with the same average number of minutes.

I also looked at the stats for Caitlin Clark, the player Paige is often compared with.

Her 3P% is also way down, 26 compared with 41 last season. Her FG% is down, 40 vs. 47 last season, as are her points, 23 vs. 27. But her FT%, rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks are up.

I wonder why the 3P% is down so much for two of the best players in women's college basketball. The only theory I've heard is the new 3P line. Although Paige and Caitlin can hit a 3P from farther out, maybe it takes time to adjust to the new distance.

Reaction Score
A thought from watching the UCLA game again that likely applies to the remainder of season. Looked like UCLA purposely tried to "muscle up" against our bigs, getting away with fouls on most UConn big layup tries. Saw similar strategy from GT and last year, particularly against Paige. Not sure how Geno keeps Huskies from getting bullied other than to aggresively make shots.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Did they play a better team? Not so sure. I think UCLA would play Georgia Tech pretty evenly though.

As for Uconn, I thought they took better care of the ball, had better shot selection, and generally shot the ball better. The big improvement from my perspective was the balanced attack. All five starters scored double figures, crashed the glass, and played solid defense. Ducharme and Juhasz scoring from multiple spots on the court allowed the game to be truly 5x5 as opposed to what felt like 3x5 against Georgia Tech.

Did they play a terrific game, probably not. But was it an improvement from a few days prior? In my opinion, yes. I'm really looking forward to what they look like after a week to gain chemistry in practice. FT shooting is something that needs to be an emphasis, as we'll be in a lot more close games going forward.
Keep in mind practices may be somewhat limited since it’s finals week

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Her 3P% is 31, a little higher than 27, but not great compared with 46 last season. Her FT% is also down, 77 from 87 last year. But her FG% is up, 56 compared with 52 last season, as are her rebounds, assists, steals, blocks, and points, all with the same average number of minutes.

I also looked at the stats for Caitlin Clark, the player Paige is often compared with.

Her 3P% is also way down, 26 compared with 41 last season. Her FG% is down, 40 vs. 47 last season, as are her points, 23 vs. 27. But her FT%, rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks are up.

I wonder why the 3P% is down so much for two of the best players in women's college basketball. The only theory I've heard is the new 3P line. Although Paige and Caitlin can hit a 3P from farther out, maybe it takes time to adjust to the new distance.
Caitlin's average 3pt shot is 5+ feet behind the 3 so I cant see the line being an issue. She clearly feels she has to do everything to win and she takes a lot of quick (overly hard) shots in my opinion.

Paige's 3pt issues are more a statistical anomaly imo. Does not take so many so a few misses eats into %. I am guessing her %'s were up anywhere else on the court.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Actually, Geno is lucky that Jamelle Elliott didn't prevent him from attacking the refs. LOL....She would have boxed him out & elbowed him into the first row!

If Geno had stampeded the refs, there were over 1,000 fans in the stands who would have been right behind him. We were in full throat to the ref: You suck!”

Reaction Score

Of course the new distance is causing the shooting percentages to go down.

Reaction Score
And the person most driving into traffic was CW. I love when she slashes to the basket, but If she would look to pass a bit more when she draws 2 and 3 player attention on her drives, it would add so much to her game.
CW is never going to be a passer. She just doesn't see the floor, especially when she is driving.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom