UCLA hiring Mick Cronin | Page 6 | The Boneyard

UCLA hiring Mick Cronin

Reaction Score
Talked to a UCLA season ticket holder I know last night. Not excited, but wasn't angry either. Knows there has been little post-season success but runs a good program. Wonders what Cronin can do if he gets better players - which he should be able to do at UCLA. Basically said he isn't sold on the upside, but he isn't going to come in and ruin anything. Worst case should be solid.

Reaction Score
Way too much hating on both Cincy and UCLA here. Is everyone really that butthurt that Cincy beat us a bunch of times like everyone else has these last few years?
I'm of the mindset that I really hope Cincy hires someone good as we need teams and coach's that are good and interesting for scheduled basketball games. I was looking forward to beating Cronin/Cincy and I am disappointed to be denied the opportunity.

As for UCLA I don't know that I care that much, their games are on late. My guess is Cronin is more successful in the tournament at UCLA vs Cincy and it'll kind of be an interesting experiment to watch to see if hard-core defensive philosophy can work in the stereotypical 'soft' west coast basketball. I guess we already saw this with Howland, but test case #2 interesting nonetheless.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I think Cronin will do well. His teams and players reflect his toughness. That toughness is portable and Mick is the one who brings it. The fact that they gave him that much of a contract says that UCLA thinks he can as well. He's a rock fight guy and as much as I enjoy poking fun at him he is a worthy opponent. It is just going to be strange watching UCLA as a rock fight team! Like Knight, Calhoun, Thompson et al It's going to be Mick's way or the highway. I'll continue to enjoy poking fun at him but I actually hope he is successful. He might even change the culture a bit in the Conference. You go Mick! Good luck!

Reaction Score
I think Cronin will do well. His teams and players reflect his toughness. That toughness is portable and Mick is the one who brings it. The fact that they gave him that much of a contract says that UCLA thinks he can as well. He's a rock fight guy and as much as I enjoy poking fun at him he is a worthy opponent. It is just going to be strange watching UCLA as a rock fight team! Like Knight, Calhoun, Thompson et al It's going to be Mick's way or the highway. I'll continue to enjoy poking fun at him but I actually hope he is successful. He might even change the culture a bit in the Conference. You go Mick! Good luck!
In theory, if UCLA gets the hotshot west coast style player and imparts his toughness you have a factory for future Russell Westbrooks. It is worth the $4M per to see if that factory can function and churn out a few of those players.
Howland may not have succeeded in totality at UCLA, but anywhere else it would have been a huge success (3 FFours I think) and he did use the alchemy of toughness & west coast hoops to produce that guy.

Reaction Score
Cronin's biggest challenge if he sticks with his defense first program will be getting west coast kids to buy into it. Ucla typically gets the AAU circuit highly ranked offensive kids. If he sticks to his formula it will be interesting to see if he can get them to buy in. Not his wheelhouse historically.

Reaction Score
I think Mick Cronin already has a recruiting violation with his first day on the job. Cassius Stanley is an uncommitted 2019 recruit that UCLA was going after:

1554922955466.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom