UCLA hiring Mick Cronin | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UCLA hiring Mick Cronin

Reaction Score
I love that people here truly believe they’re thinking critically by implying that because Mick Cronin is short, bald, and Irish that he couldn’t possibly make it in California.

He’s going there to coach basketball not to steal Blake Lively from Ryan Reynolds.

It's not the short, bald and Irish part, it's the loud, abrasive, blue collar part. That's not LA, or more specifically, that's not UCLA. Nor is his playing style which fits his persona. LA is Showtime, Mick isn't.

If he wins, he'll be fine because winning cures all. But if he is just mediocre, I think his personality will be problematic.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Thad Matta is at least somewhat realistic and possibly better.

After that...you’re gambling on mid major guys.

Thad would likely be better. But he's taken his name out of multiple coaching searches recently, even after meeting with some schools.

Say they did somehow land him, how long is his health gonna hold up? Might be looking for a new coach in 2 years. So there's a gamble there too.

Reaction Score
It's not the short, bald and Irish part, it's the loud, abrasive, blue collar part. That's not LA, or more specifically, that's not UCLA. Nor is his playing style which fits his persona. LA is Showtime, Mick isn't.

If he wins, he'll be fine because winning cures all. But if he is just mediocre, I think his personality will be problematic.

There couldn’t be a more NON Los Angeles typology than John Wooden. He was just not a fit. Then he started WINNING. Like no one else ever had or will. (Neither was Terry Donahue glitzy)

LA is notoriously front running fanbases. But Win is the key.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Just an absolute clinic by UCLA in how to conduct a coaching search.

Say what you want about UCONN right now, but they focused on one coach, and land him. Against decent P5 competition, they got their guy One of the best candidates on the market that year too.

It doesn't seem like UCLA even planned much in advance. They should have been laying groundwork all year.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Say what you want about UCONN right now, but they focused on one coach, and land him. Against decent P5 competition, they got their guy One of the best candidates on the market that year too.

It doesn't seem like UCLA even planned much in advance. They should have been laying groundwork all year.

I still am really curious what the search would’ve looked like if Hurley chose Pitt.

We might’ve been looking a lot like UCLA did

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I still am really curious what the search would’ve looked like if Hurley chose Pitt.

With Cronin as the coach ?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
ben howland v. 2.0. soft, weak, lousy ucla gets 'tough, gritty, eastern coach', who has never won anything to turn program around. meh. signed, a former bruins fan.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

According to some people, Frank Martin. Glad we didn't miss.

While not on the up and up, I think we were laying early groundwork with Hurley throughout the year. And I'm happy the AD did that.

Reaction Score
Cronin was not a great recruiter but he got the most out of his players and he knew which players fit his system.

I assume Cumberland leaves for NBA now.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

While not on the up and up, I think we were laying early groundwork with Hurley throughout the year. And I'm happy the AD did that.

I have a few friends in Rhode Island who were convinced of this as well. If not had it close to done before the season ended.

Reaction Score

Nothing nefarious took place. Schools have contact with agents all the time. Hurley had also been pretty open about having only a handful of jobs he’d leave for. He’s kind of an open book that way. Add in the frustration with continually being promised (but not delivered) programmatic improvements and the graduation of guys who he promised he’d always coach, and it was easy to see how it would play out. The conspiracies of Moore being some kind of double agent sure are fun to read about, though. It’s only a handful of URI fans. Most get what he did for that program, while he was there and on his way out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I always felt Cronin was one gene and hair away from being the identical twin of Booger:

images.jpeg

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
lol we should hire pitino

Reaction Score
I love that people here truly believe they’re thinking critically by implying that because Mick Cronin is short, bald, and Irish that he couldn’t possibly make it in California.

He’s going there to coach basketball not to steal Blake Lively from Ryan Reynolds.

Imagine if he did? That would be a bigger an upset than UMBC over UVA.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
This has to be a money grab for The Mad Elf.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom