UCLA hiring Mick Cronin | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UCLA hiring Mick Cronin

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Thad Matta would be a tremendous hire for Cincinnati and an upgrade over Cronin.

I'll be surprised if he gets back into the game at a high level. He interviewed for a bunch of top jobs, but he always withdraws his own name (likely because of medical status). But I've idea of his shape in that regard.

Reaction Score
I love that people here truly believe they’re thinking critically by implying that because Mick Cronin is short, bald, and Irish that he couldn’t possibly make it in California.

He’s going there to coach basketball not to steal Blake Lively from Ryan Reynolds.
I'm getting the same impression you are. Is every UCLA/USC coach supposed to look and talk like Lavin?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Cincinnati fans are calling for the school to hire Rick Pitino.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I like Mick and I'm glad he got paid. And I agree, it's no given that Cincy will do better.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
The way that this hiring process played out is going to put pressure on Mick to win immediately. UCLA fans feel like the school “settled” on Mick after missing on the guys they really wanted. Mick should have taken a page out of the Barnes playbook and used their offer to get himself a raise at Cincy.

Reaction Score
I was jokey about it before in other threads but he should do fine out there. If he can get kids to play hard like they did when he was with Cincy they could start out toughing some of those teams out there and win some games. If he can score some 5-stars with the UCLA brand then they might go places. Even past the second round maybe.

Wonder what his buyout is going to be. Didn’t they offer Barnes upwards of 5 mil?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
The only way for Cincinnati to survive this is pitino or matta. Otherwise the AAC has added one more bottom feeder. Terrific.

Reaction Score
I'm going to go against the grain here and say that this is an exceptional hire for UCLA. They need stability and toughness, and Mick will give them both. Plus he'll get some 5-stars, which should get them to the 2nd weekend pretty regularly (and third weekend occasionally).

They'll play like Virginia, tho. I do wonder if UCLA fans will sit still for that...

Totally agree, just what they and he needs to succeed. He will be able to get more talented recruits and add a toughness there which is in my opinion what they seemed to lack most of the time. Recipe for success. I don’t like him but.....nice move.

Reaction Score
One good thing they have is an ad who appears to be in touch if his hire in football is any indication, and a newly refurbished arena. Also, interesting as they have a solid fan base who appears from most comments to welcome the change and yes they are hoping for a more offensive oriented guy. What does Hurley make?

Reaction Score
DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES??? HAHAHAHA YESSSSSSSSSS

THIS IS AN AMAZING DAY. MAYBE LIKE THE 32ND BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LOL LOL. Your avatar always make me laugh. "Expert in round of 32 flame outs" LOL LOL.

Seriously, I am happy for you-we all know you didn't think Cronin was good for your BearCats. Who do you think Cincy will hire as HC?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Do you honestly thing you are going to do better though?

Thad Matta is at least somewhat realistic and possibly better.

After that...you’re gambling on mid major guys.

Reaction Score
My understanding is that Barnes is supplementing part of Mick’s contract from the raise Tenn gave him for not leaving. A win for everyone.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Just an absolute clinic by UCLA in how to conduct a coaching search.

Books that will never be written:

“How to conduct a great head basketball coach search by Dan Guerrero”

Reaction Score
I've watched much lesser schools like Houston and SMU revive (or, vive in SMU's case) their moribund programs in this conference. Cincy will exceed them if they make the right hire. I don't think Cronin was anything special. His recruiting didn't really stand out. Remember, this school produced multiple NBA stars under Huggy, and they did it in a crap conference. Although I have to admit, I am concerned that Nick Lachey is going to spend some of his considerable bank account to help land a great coach.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom