UCLA hiring Mick Cronin | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UCLA hiring Mick Cronin

Reaction Score
Maybe not be a good hire but I don't buy the "he's not an LA guy" crap. The biggest concerns with Cronin is not being able to hold it together in March and that his recruiting has been solid but not great.

Reaction Score
Maybe not be a good hire but I don't buy the "he's not an LA guy" crap. The biggest concerns with Cronin is not being able to hold it together in March and that his recruiting has been solid but not great.
Which makes him a perfect fit for UCLA basketball of late

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Just an absolute clinic by UCLA in how to conduct a coaching search.
As in "Free Clinic," the one you go to after the visits by the recruiting team from UCLA.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In all seriousness. Thank you Mick for your service. Thanks for bringing the type of stability we needed to rebuild our program. It was just painfully obvious that you maxed out what you could do here, best of luck at UCLA!!!

GO CATS!!!
Congrats Kobe. I have mixed feelings about it . I feel happy for you but, I will miss using this GIF:
cronin2_medium.gif

Edit: Dang it beat me to it @calluke

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
The fact that the majority of UC fans are celebrating this shows just how out of touch they are. There’s no way Cincinnati lands someone as good as Cronin was.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I hope whoever Cincinnati hires likes to complain half as much as Cronin. Will miss crowin' Cronin's 10 minute post game whine conferences.

Reaction Score
Their fanbase is about to take a bad trip down The Grass Isn't Always Greener Boulevard.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
The fact that the majority of UC fans are celebrating this shows just how out of touch they are. There’s no way Cincinnati lands someone as good as Cronin was.
R - U - D - E

Reaction Score
I'm going to go against the grain here and say that this is an exceptional hire for UCLA. They need stability and toughness, and Mick will give them both. Plus he'll get some 5-stars, which should get them to the 2nd weekend pretty regularly (and third weekend occasionally).

They'll play like Virginia, tho. I do wonder if UCLA fans will sit still for that...

I wouldn't say exceptional but I lean towards your side on this debate. Mick can coach and the school recruits itself. Every coach at UCLA lands 5* kids. It's kinda underwhelming and the search is embarrassing but I expect UCLA to do quite well under Mick

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I wouldn't say exceptional but I lean towards your side on this debate. Mick can coach and the school recruits itself. Every coach at UCLA lands 5* kids. It's kinda underwhelming and the search is embarrassing but I expect UCLA to do quite well under Mick
Yeah "exceptional" was too strong a word. I just think 28 wins a year with Cincinnati ends up being 33 wins a year with UCLA, and if you're winning that many per year, you're going to eventually win a few games in March.

Reaction Score
The way Cinci has succeeded with multiple football head coach hires I think it is premature to say they will come up empty now for hoops. I was glad to see the first Battle of the Leprechauns at the XL. Maybe it won't be the last.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
The only way for Cincinnati to survive this is pitino or matta. Otherwise the AAC has added one more bottom feeder. Terrific.

They did fine after Huggins left, and they were in Conference USA at the time. They won't necessarily crater without certain name brand coaches.

Reaction Score
I didn't read all 5 pages here but does anyone else think he will do really well there? I could see him reviving that program.

Reaction Score
I didn't read all 5 pages here but does anyone else think he will do really well there? I could see him reviving that program.
The feeling is almost unanimous in this thread that he'll fail miserably, as will Cincinnati with their new coach

Reaction Score
The feeling is almost unanimous in this thread that he'll fail miserably, as will Cincinnati with their new coach
It always seemed that he could recruit a lot of the same kind of kids to Cincinnati. Tough, talented players but not elite talent. He should be able to recruit elite talent to UCLA. If he keeps getting the tough, talented players he has been and can recruit at an even higher level I could see him doing really well there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom