OT: - UCLA fires Steve Alford | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: UCLA fires Steve Alford

Reaction Score
They are trying to lure Calhoun away from St Joe's as we speak....

...I kid.
OK you might be onto something. I just googled (really) the avg. Home prices in Westwood and Westport. Virtually identical.

Calhoun gets his tailored suits from Mitchell's. There is a dotted line here.

Reaction Score
I was referring to guys with Midwest cultural roots. The reason I said except for John Wooden was that he was from Indiana but was frankly from another era in time. I agree, there is pressure to win at UCLA.
During a couple stages of my career, I was assigned to the west coast and traveled to CA frequently - I loved it. However, it is indeed a different culture than the Midwest.
Yeah Chief. I have done several tours of duty covering CA from Manhattan and Stamford.

My order of preference is SF, SD and then LA. I have enjoyed all 3.
I would live in Cow Hollow in SF, Pacific or Ocean Beach in SD (La Jolla is 300k more than Westport.
I still never came up with my fantasy residence in LA. I would say Seal Beach but Christ it would take forever to go 25 miles. Maybe Redondo or Hermosa. Idk. Just too much traffic.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
OK you might be onto something. I just googled (really) the avg. Home prices in Westwood and Westport. Virtually identical.

Calhoun gets his tailored suits from Mitchell's. There is a dotted line here.

Seriously? It's way more expensive there. This house is what runs slightly over the average home price, $1.7M. 1400 sq feet, 2 bed, 1 bath, needs updating.

Meanwhile in Westport, CT for the same $1.7M you get this house. 5600 sq feet, 4 beds 7 baths, completely updated.

Reaction Score
No question there's only one man who can handle the pressure and now that he's cleaned up his reputation over the last 6 to 8 years he's surely the prime target. Or at least that's what his agent will imply as he pumps out the press releases saying his client is happy where he is.

1546284579031.png
1546284579031.png

Reaction Score
Seriously? It's way more expensive there. This house is what runs slightly over the average home price, $1.7M. 1400 sq feet, 2 bed, 1 bath, needs updating.

Meanwhile in Westport, CT for the same $1.7M you get this house. 5600 sq feet, 4 beds 7 baths, completely updated.
I just googled average and that kinda wasnt the point. But ok.

Reaction Score
.... other than John Wooden. Cmon Man. You can't start like that.

Fact is - and I have a UCLA degree - there is every expectation from that fan base and big money guys (going back decades to the latest techie) that they WIN National Championships. And the pressure is enormous.

It is not Musselman's persona. That's not to say he won't be the one. Both he and his father are scrapyard dog types and that isn't UCLA. As for the comment about the SoCal cultura ... WTF ... you don't like 11 months of great weather and late afternoon walks on Will Rogers State Beach watching pink bikinis. Fact is - LA is sooo big that you cut it down to your little niche and gang. Try not to go beyond your geo neighborhood.

Say it's not so, Pudge. You have s degree from UCLA? Oh my. So your blue goes 2 ways?

Reaction Score
Seal Beach?!?!?!

Yeah Chief. I have done several tours of duty covering CA from Manhattan and Stamford.

I would live in Cow Hollow in SF, Pacific or Ocean Beach in SD (La Jolla is 300k more than Westport.
I still never came up with my fantasy residence in LA. I would say Seal Beach but Christ it would take forever to go 25 miles. Maybe Redondo or Hermosa. Idk. Just too much traffic.

Reaction Score
They should have fired Alford a longtime ago, especially after he committed to the entire Ball family.

Reaction Score
Seal Beach?!?!?!

You only say Seal Beach if there’s a girl you’re chasing

I would put Pacific Palisades ... Los Feliz ... Calabasas ... San Marino ... Malibu ... Venice Beach ... Palos Verde ... Hancock Park ... Balboa Island ... Belmont Shores

Only because I’m not thrilled to live like I did in Redondo or Hermosa in my 20s. Or ... my 2nd & Montana address in Santa Monica right near where they found Whitey Bulger morning

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Guys can learn and have second acts. Sometimes certain things are situational like going through a divorce.
Bill Belichick was fired as head coach of Cleveland and has done ok as head coach of New England.

Yes. I'd argue some of the best learning comes from getting fired examining yourself and what went wrong, and then adapting.

Bill Belichick was fired once upon a time...

C

Chief00

Seal Beach?!?!?!

La Jolla

La Jolla is beautiful and the weather is usual great. Some nice neighborhoods around Pasadena. A great evening view from Hollywood Hills. I think we had a deal, loss a deal and then got it back all in one night. The scenary was so nice, I hardly cared. Was out there a couple times at Halloween - seems like a huge holiday in Cali.

Reaction Score
Musselman would probably go tomorrow if they asked him. Could UCLA just say, we're UCLA and we're not doing an interim thing, so...

Reaction Score
Pardon the ignorance but Musselman currently coaches Nevada? If not never mind the rest of the post.

But if he is, Can you just poach a coach (ha) in the middle of a season? That shouldn't even be allowed!! Totally unfair to the players and disrespectful on UCLA's part to the season Nevada is creating (the same can be said in any similar situation though). Does this situation even happen a lot? Again don't pay attention to coaching change noise often outside of blue blood stuff like Roy Williams or this . Any way would make me dislike ucla, probably lots of people in fact.

Reaction Score
Musselman would probably go tomorrow if they asked him. Could UCLA just say, we're UCLA and we're not doing an interim thing, so...
He is making UCLA rounding error money. A mill per. For 4 mill he can pay CA state taxes.

Reaction Score
Pardon the ignorance but Musselman currently coaches Nevada? If not never mind the rest of the post.

But if he is, Can you just poach a coach (ha) in the middle of a season? That shouldn't even be allowed!! Totally unfair to the players and disrespectful on UCLA's part to the season Nevada is creating (the same can be said in any similar situation though). Does this situation even happen a lot? Again don't pay attention to coaching change noise often outside of blue blood stuff like Roy Williams or this . Any way would make me dislike ucla, probably lots of people in fact.

Frieder...can't think of any others off hand, but if I'm UCLA, do I have to wait?

Reaction Score
Frieder...can't think of any others off hand, but if I'm UCLA, do I have to wait?
I mean, I know what you mean, absolutely they don't but just feel it is unfair. As much as I wanted Ollie to go last year glad UConn waited till the end of the year and would not want them taking hurley in the middle of the year as crazy as it might sound. Wish there was a rule that prevented that! Imo you don't take a coach from another team in the middle of the year because you don't want the same to happen to you...in the case of blue bloods the NBA is the only threat though imo.
Btw and fwiw Musselman was the coach I wanted second most though I think a lot of huskies fans felt the same ..

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
La Jolla

La Jolla is beautiful and the weather is usual great. Some nice neighborhoods around Pasadena. A great evening view from Hollywood Hills. I think we had a deal, loss a deal and then got it back all in one night. The scenary was so nice, I hardly cared. Was out there a couple times at Halloween - seems like a huge holiday in Cali.
La Jolla? It's 125 miles from Westwood and you have to go through the heart of some of the worst traffic in the country.

Many of you don't understand the West side of LA and traffic. 15 miles can take you two hours. Westwood is almost always busy.

Additionally, you can sometimes go 5 miles away from a named area and drop your housing price by 50% or more while increasing your footprint by double.

There are places not too remote from Westwood that would work - @Pudge Calabasas is only 22 miles away and as long as you avoid the heart of rush hour, you can do it in under and hour. San Marino is ridiculously expensive (median price is $2.9M) and not a great drive to WW. Any coach would need to be sporting a man bun to live in Los Feliz. Malibu and Santa Monica could work but again, very expensive and summer traffic on weekends is horrendous.

C

Chief00

La Jolla? It's 125 miles from Westwood and you have to go through the heart of some of the worst traffic in the country.

Many of you don't understand the West side of LA and traffic. 15 miles can take you two hours. Westwood is almost always busy.

Additionally, you can sometimes go 5 miles away from a named area and drop your housing price by 50% or more while increasing your footprint by double.

There are places not too remote from Westwood that would work - @Pudge Calabasas is only 22 miles away and as long as you avoid the heart of rush hour, you can do it in under and hour. San Marino is ridiculously expensive (median price is $2.9M) and not a great drive to WW. Any coach would need to be sporting a man bun to live in Los Feliz. Malibu and Santa Monica could work but again, very expensive and summer traffic on weekends is horrendous.

Happy New Year but relax - I and others were tallking about California in general not LA. Conversation ranged from SF to SD. I think we all knew about distances and traffic.

Reaction Score

Probably? Leave a top 5 team mid season with a legit shot at a Final Four which would allow him to command even more money...smh

Reaction Score
I'm loving the thread. I questioned on the womens board about Geno and got the expected response. Alford had that wonderful little scandal that made a lot of UCLA fans really hate him and hate the fat AD even more. Musselman would be logical as would be Hoiberg but there seems to be some sentiment for Jamie Dixon. Day late and a dollar short for Billy Donovan and UCLA alum Earl Watson joins Pitino in the "hell, no" category. If they offered Pitino, he would swim back and then crawl to LA for the job.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom