OT: - UCLA fires Steve Alford | The Boneyard

OT: UCLA fires Steve Alford

Reaction Score
Wow so early in the season didn’t even let him get to the league games. They’re talented as hell but underwhelming with him at the helm.

KO??:oops:
In all honesty. And it is not happening. I would be real happy for KO if he went home and got that job. Everything about the last 2.5 years as it relates to KO annoys the hell out of me. But the guy has kids. Maybe he gets a bench job.

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
So I gusss they have already been talking to Fred Hoiberg.

That was my first guess as well.

Get to him before everyone else.

C

Chief00

In all honesty. And it is not happening. I would be real happy for KO if he went home and got that job. Everything about the last 2.5 years as it relates to KO annoys the hell out of me. But the guy has kids. Maybe he gets a bench job.

He’s not getting a college job under the NCAA cloud. Coaching critique aside.

ConnZag3

NCAA Hoops Connoisseur
Reaction Score
About time. His insane contract finally became affordable enough to pay for him to go away.

Reaction Score
If they don’t go after Musselman I seriously question who is leading that search. He is a west coast guy with west coast ties. He coaches with energy and would be a force on recruiting trail with a UCLA logo on his polo rather than a Nevada one. I would finish season with an interim —everyone now knows a huge job is open and can use time for feelers and plan B and plan C.

Reaction Score
KO is not getting a high major head coaching job anytime soon. His ego won't allow him to accept a bench job in college. If they can agree on terms, it should be Hoiberg.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No special insight on Hoiberg, just not the right cultural match for a kid from IA or IN, in Chief’s opinion.

I think you are probably right. West coast recruiting is different.

Musselman would be a great choice for UCLA, but then they will need to have an interim coach the rest of the way. In which case, why fire Alford and pay the buyout? I don't see Musselman leaving Nevada mid season. Or anybody else doing it. So the whole think is very interesting.

Reaction Score
Anyone can recruit to UCLA. But you would have to want to live the So Cal culture.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Anyone can recruit to UCLA. But you would have to want to live the So Cal culture.
I’m available. My son lives walkable to UCLA, I love So Cal,would move there if the housing cost differential weren’t so big, but my contract would take care of that , and I once coached a pee wee team.

C

Chief00

Actually if it wasn’t for the NCAA investigation and frivolous lawsuits, KO with an experience bench coach wouldn’t be the worse choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I’m available. My son lives walkable to UCLA, I love So Cal,would move there if the housing cost differential weren’t so big, but my contract would take care of that , and I once coached a pee wee team.
Once they saw those Pee Wee recruits your days would be numbered.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Musselman would be a great choice for UCLA
If they don’t go after Musselman I seriously question who is leading that search. He is a west coast guy with west coast ties. He coaches with energy and would be a force on recruiting trail with a UCLA logo on his polo rather than a Nevada one C.
Musselman makes too much sense not to happen. Lock it in.

@CAHUSKY right now...
ezgif-3-1a67cb41a388.gif

Last edited:
Reaction Score
.... other than John Wooden. Cmon Man. You can't start like that.

Fact is - and I have a UCLA degree - there is every expectation from that fan base and big money guys (going back decades to the latest techie) that they WIN National Championships. And the pressure is enormous.

It is not Musselman's persona. That's not to say he won't be the one. Both he and his father are scrapyard dog types and that isn't UCLA. As for the comment about the SoCal cultura ... WTF ... you don't like 11 months of great weather and late afternoon walks on Will Rogers State Beach watching pink bikinis. Fact is - LA is sooo big that you cut it down to your little niche and gang. Try not to go beyond your geo neighborhood.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom