UCF might not be a huge draw... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCF might not be a huge draw...

Reaction Score
I keep saying this, but in all parts of this country demographics are changing quickly. I just got back from a long trip to Wyoming and the amount of Asia and Asian-Indian tourists was astounding in cowboy country. Many looked like new Americans out to see the country and not groups on planned international tours. I encountered more Asians on hikes than I have ever encountered at live college sports. It continues to be the case that many new large ethnic groups in this country are not valuing the live sports experience. Yes, they may consume the tv version and clothing, but I don’t see them at the stadiums. Sports departments are not reaching these people.

This is not the only issue, but it is one part of the story.

The tourists you're referencing may not be residents of the USA.

The photo at the start of the attached article shows Chinese tourists in a rural part of France. They're there because some scenes from a popular Chinese TV series were filmed in the lavender fields in that area and the boom in cheap travel alternatives now allows them to go there and take selfies. Maybe the Asians you saw like Western movies?

The article is long and provides some unbelievable statistics about how the tremendous boom in travel all over the world is changing, negatively, many of the world's most popular tourist destinations. One example was on Majorca where the local residents are so offended by the tourist takeover that some were throwing horse "apples" at tourist groups.

A sociologist quoted in the article suggested: "Mass tourism is a phenomenon of our post-materialistic society. Possessions are no longer a priority -- we just want to be entertained," he says.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I went to the US Women's soccer doubleheader at the Rent last month (USA vs. Australia, Japan vs. Brazil). Very diverse crowd but that's soccer. American football - not so much.

Not only are UConn crowds not diverse, they are ancient. Look at the median ages on tv broadcasts - they are through the roof. There are just not young people replacing the generation that is dying off.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
I keep saying this, but in all parts of this country demographics are changing quickly. I just got back from a long trip to Wyoming and the amount of Asia and Asian-Indian tourists was astounding in cowboy country. Many looked like new Americans out to see the country and not groups on planned international tours. I encountered more Asians on hikes than I have ever encountered at live college sports. It continues to be the case that many new large ethnic groups in this country are not valuing the live sports experience. Yes, they may consume the tv version and clothing, but I don’t see them at the stadiums. Sports departments are not reaching these people.

This is not the only issue, but it is one part of the story.
You heard it here first, Boneyarders. Asians have ruined college football.

Reaction Score
Has anyone seen any ticket sale numbers for Thursday yet? just curious. doesn't look like there are a ton on stubhub/seatgeek so maybe things look OK?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
You heard it here first, Boneyarders. Asians have ruined college football.
You have comprehension issues? How did you possibly come to this conclusion from this post?

Reaction Score
It’s P5 too... UF football season ticket sales sag despite Dan Mullen's effort to sell Gators

>>In the age of high-definition television, social media and increasing creature comforts, fans have to weigh the benefits of the live, game-day experience. Some also would rather avoid the hassle of parking, the cost of concessions and the lack of comfort sitting in close quarters on metal bleachers.<<

Does anyone know how much UConn charges students for season tickets? This article says the Florida students pay $140.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
You have comprehension issues? How did you possibly come to this conclusion from this post?
Sorry. i forgot the Indians. Asians and Indians have ruined college football. Fix your humorometer.

Reaction Score
Ah, now you are getting it. And so that is my point about reaching out to other markets and marketing the product. Right now college sports predominately sells "frat environment" and that doesn't appeal to all. I'm not a marketing wizard, so I'll leave the problem solving to others. Its just my observation that there is no effort to appeal to other groups other than the usuals.

woah

As I talk to ticket buying guys - not Frat demo - they are spending a ton on Giants tickets here in Westchester County. Maybe a family of 4 is going as well. That is at least 10 times the outlay per game as the Rent. Yup.

Do you have a family and young kids? When I was in that position and thinking Rent versus Metropolitan Life, the simple cheaper solution was always a good day. And there was plenty of ancillary things for the family. That has to be the Market. Affinity - either through alumns, students, State - and Affordable entertainment. And we know they have to win.

The pyrotechnics you might do at UNC probably do not get you much at the Margins.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The tourists you're referencing may not be residents of the USA.

The photo at the start of the attached article shows Chinese tourists in a rural part of France. They're there because some scenes from a popular Chinese TV series were filmed in the lavender fields in that area and the boom in cheap travel alternatives now allows them to go there and take selfies. Maybe the Asians you saw like Western movies?

The article is long and provides some unbelievable statistics about how the tremendous boom in travel all over the world is changing, negatively, many of the world's most popular tourist destinations. One example was on Majorca where the local residents are so offended by the tourist takeover that some were throwing horse "apples" at tourist groups.

A sociologist quoted in the article suggested: "Mass tourism is a phenomenon of our post-materialistic society. Possessions are no longer a priority -- we just want to be entertained," he says.

Not sure its worth belaboring, but in my 8 days I saw just two Asian tour buses. The vast majority were large Indian families and/or Chinese families in rental cars touring independent of any guide service. To me, most looked like people that will be returning to an American city for home and not taking a plane back to Asia. In other words, they looked like people that have been in the US for a while.

Reaction Score
Not only are UConn crowds not diverse, they are ancient. Look at the median ages on tv broadcasts - they are through the roof. There are just not young people replacing the generation that is dying off.
Old people like me, who went to every single game for 13 years, moved to warmer climates and there is nobody taking our place.

Reaction Score
That...is scary.

Reaction Score
Does anyone know how much UConn charges students for season tickets? This article says the Florida students pay $140.

I paid $30 bucks back in the Spring for my kid (and it came w/ a free t-shirt). Think it might be $42-ish now?

Reaction Score
This is so true. I’m in my early 20s. Besides students there aren’t any young people buying single game or season tickets. It’s a huge problem.

Reaction Score
Has anyone seen any ticket sale numbers for Thursday yet? just curious. doesn't look like there are a ton on stubhub/seatgeek so maybe things look OK?
I saw someone post that he/she heard it was sold out. Can you say the telephone game?
Agreed though. I’ve been watching the ticket agent sites and it seems like there are less and less available each day

Reaction Score
This is so true. I’m in my early 20s. Besides students there aren’t any young people buying single game or season tickets. It’s a huge problem.
I used to beg people to go with me. They never wanted to go. They love yard goats games though.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
State employees received an email this week - 4 free tickets for this game.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

My guess is that we have about 3,000 people who actually write checks for season tickets every year and a good percentage of them do it because they always have and the money isn't a big deal for them. They ain't kids.

Reaction Score
That...is scary.
For someone who collects things that often have little or no value, to anyone other than him, that might seem scary. I much prefer to expose my children to as many different cultures and experiences as possible; rather than continue to collect toys and junk that will be used several times and then either discarded or donated.

Reaction Score
I saw someone post that he/she heard it was sold out. Can you say the telephone game?
Agreed though. I’ve been watching the ticket agent sites and it seems like there are less and less available each day

Just went to Uconnhuskies.com and saw lots of sections with HIGH or MEDIUM availability so there's likelihood there will be any kind of positive showing for a game against a ranked team on national TV.

The lower end zone (student section) is shown as sold out as are a few other sections, but it sure won't look good to recruits who like to play in an exciting environment.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom