U19 USA vs Hungary 11:30 AM | The Boneyard

U19 USA vs Hungary 11:30 AM

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I don't believe the Game is on Youtube. It looks like its streamed via FIBA's website.

Its strange the FIBA site that list the games shows the Mali vs Australia game is available on ESPN+ I don't see the USA vs Hungary game listed on ESPN+

Reaction Score
Both U19 semifinal games appear on ESPN+’s list of upcoming bball games.

This is a live link and will list the games up to tipoff. The games can also be streamed from ESPN+ after the games finish.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It appears that's it's on LBTV (Live Basketball TV) for a fee. Like Wbbfan1 said, you can link to it from the FIBA website. Like the USA Men's Olympic late round games that you could only stream for a fee (I think they were on Peacock), I'm guessing you'll be able to find a replay somewhere for free.

Reaction Score
I don't believe the Game is on Youtube. It looks like its streamed via FIBA's website.

Its strange the FIBA site that list the games shows the Mali vs Australia game is available on ESPN+ I don't see the USA vs Hungary game listed on ESPN+
The USA game is on ESPN+

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Hopefully we can see the replay on YouTube for free. :cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score

USA defeats Hungary 75-42

Reaction Score
This is the first game I watched out of the tournament and man Amari just seems like the walking dead out there geno is going to have to shake her a little bit to get some life into her.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
During the game it was a great pleasure to hear the two women announcers, both of whom were miles better than that hack guy that announced all of the previous games. After the game the majority of the comments made by the women were about Hungary. Now, it was clear that Hungary played hard right until the end. They closed well on the perimeter, were tough on dribble drives, and pushed the US bigs off their marks on the block and in the lane. They boxed out fairly well and pushed the ball on offense when they could. But really, most of their comments?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Just a few things:

• Feagin, Ware and Betts were taking turns with each other at the 5 and 4. Betts had 12 boards and Feagin 11. The latter is very strong.
  • As such, Sonia Citron went back to the 3 for some stretches of the game. Didnt' keep her from attacking the boards, getting 3 offensive and 5 d-boards. Nose foe r the ball.
  • By my count, Clark scored 11 of her 14 points in the 3rd quarter. And then Johnson got cookin', a la Vinnie (the mini-Micro?) She had a spin move on the side- and base-line that first had a Hungarian clutching at her wrist and finished with an up and under layup. Highlight stuff.
  • Azzi was in team-player mode, with 4 assists, including a great feed to a (who else) cutting Citron. Those two, plus Verhulst, looking for each other a lot.
  • Close used the 2-3 zone a bunch, with one big (Betts, Ware or Feagin) in the middle and Citron, Verhulst on the wings. Led to a lot of fast-breaks.

Carnac

Reaction Score
This is the first game I watched out of the tournament and man Amari just seems like the walking dead out there geno is going to have to shake her a little bit to get some life into her.
I'm not excusing for Amari !!. I'll have to accept your representation of her body language on the court. I have not seen the game yet.
It's possible that Amari has accepted the fact that she is on the end of the bench on this team, and only getting garbage minutes. If she's not playing with any energy, I hope that's not the reason.

It was reported that she made the final cut by default only after players in front of her opted out prior to the final roster selection. I'm going to reserve any predictions about her ability to play with her UConn teammates until at least 5-6 games into the season. That should be a large enough sample size for us to get a good look at her, and form an opinion as to how Geno might use her this season.

It is understood that she needs some work in several areas. No doubt those deficiencies will be addressed and worked on this season. I expect Amari to push ONO and be pushed everyday in practice this season. I'm looking for 19 year old sophomore Amari to return ready to play by making a BIG sophomore leap, with a stronger body, with a renewed (more resolve) mental approach. I'm looking for Amari to take over for ONO next year after she graduates.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I’m sure she will! But just off the eye test in this one she’s going to need to be pushed to!
In Amari's defense, she got into the game with a few minutes left with some other bench players. The mindset is different when you're up 30 and running the clock down each possession.

Reaction Score
Still waiting for FIBA to post the whole game--in the mean time we got highlights :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
Just a few things:

• Feagin, Ware and Betts were taking turns with each other at the 5 and 4. Betts had 12 boards and Feagin 11. The latter is very strong.
  • As such, Sonia Citron went back to the 3 for some stretches of the game. Didnt' keep her from attacking the boards, getting 3 offensive and 5 d-boards. Nose foe r the ball.
  • By my count, Clark scored 11 of her 14 points in the 3rd quarter. And then Johnson got cookin', a la Vinnie (the mini-Micro?) She had a spin move on the side- and base-line that first had a Hungarian clutching at her wrist and finished with an up and under layup. Highlight stuff.
  • Azzi was in team-player mode, with 4 assists, including a great feed to a (who else) cutting Citron. Those two, plus Verhulst, looking for each other a lot.
  • Close used the 2-3 zone a bunch, with one big (Betts, Ware or Feagin) in the middle and Citron, Verhulst on the wings. Led to a lot of fast-breaks.
The more these players play together, the easier it gets. They've played enough games now to know what their teammates are going to do, and where they're going to be on offense. This USA team should win the gold. No other team has come close to date. The other teams are playing for silver and bonze.

Power Rankings: Who's impressing and who's not at the FIBA U19 Women's Basketball World Cup?

#1 USA
USA

Tournament Record: W4 - 0L
FIBA (Girls) World Ranking presented by Nike: 1st

Red-hot favorites for the title long before the plane wheels touched down on Hungarian soil, the defending champions have justified their billing in a big way. Champions elect, it would take a huge upset for them to be denied yet another title. Led by Caitlin Clark who is surely eyeing up MVP honors already, plus some nice contributions from the likes of towering center Lauren Betts, plus Sonia Citron and Jewel Spear, USA are too deep and too good for anybody. It's their title to lose and it would be an epic upset if they did not take gold.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Still waiting for FIBA to post the whole game--in the mean time we got highlights :)

Thanks bloor for posting this highlight video. After watching the highlights, I don't really need to see the entire game. Azzi's jumper is smooth as a baby's cheek. Her form reminds me of Laker great Elgin Baylor. His mid-range shot/form looked very similar. I like Diamond Johnson. She was putting on a clinic today. Team USA made it look easy.

No team is this tournament is going to beat THIS USA team. Team USA's defense is decent, and their fast breaks are deadly. Hungary scored 5 points in the first quarter today. They began to hemorrhage in the first quarter, and couldn't stop the bleeding. They realized very quickly that they were in WAY over their head in this game. 13-5 USA after the first qtr. It got worse as the game progressed.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Betts is smart enough to go to Stanford and yet hasn't learned to keep the ball above her head and not bring it down.Resulted in at least two jump balls today
Tara will break her of that once official practice begins. Betts is not the first post player she's had to break (condition) from that habit. I'll bet my turban on it!! ;) Don't judge her now, wait until she's been under Tara's care and tutelage for a year.

Reaction Score
Azzi did not impress me today. She missed some shots I’m assuming she usually makes and drove into traffic at the wrong time. I was however happy to see her shoot the ball more and look a tiny bit more aggressive.

Betts had a bad night, not sure if she just isn’t used to playing against double teams or what but she missed lay ups and had a few jump balls. Citron, another great night. Feagin’s rebound stats are misleading because she has a habit of missing and getting her own rebounds. I think today she missed 3 times in a row which resulted in 3 or 4 offensive rebounds.

Anyone notice how emotional Clark plays? She’ll get beat on the defensive end or someone will hit a jump shot in her face and she immediately comes flying back down out of control into the lane or chucking up a 3, both of which usually results in misses/TOS.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
USA advances to the gold medal game tomorrow at 17:30 (GMT+2) against the winner of the Australia / Mali game later today.
Carnac steps out on a limb with a bold prediction............team USA wins this one BIG, regardless of who the opponent is. :D

U19 Brackets

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She was the total opposite in earlier games. Don’t judge a book by its cover.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom