U17 and U18 recruiting target observations | Page 61 | The Boneyard

U17 and U18 recruiting target observations

Reaction Score
Geno has stated that recruits who are concerned with minutes in interviews don't get offers. Recruits who want to know their position on the team don't get offers.

Williams got an offer. So much for the theory that she is concerned over playing time.

I don't know who is friends with whom but some are pointing out that she and Ono are friendly and are visiting S Car & Tenn together. Well, I understand that she is also friendly with UConn verbal Collier and is scheduled to visit UConn with her in mid-October.

The one consistent thing I hear from all UConn recruits is that they chose UConn because they believed UConn would get the most out of them. They welcome the challenge. Those that are looking for an easier 4 years go elsewhere.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
totally different kind of player..5'10-11"shooting guard, attacks the rim at any time, great mid range game, will shoot the three, will share the ball, good rebounder and defender
Thank you, Charliebball. I did not know she had so much talent. I hope she does commit to Uconn.

Reaction Score
I know CW must be great, based on what everyone says, the fight for her services, and being the only guard UConn is interested in. A lot of you seem to have followed her awhile and know her game well. I have seen her very little, but she didn't appear to have a very good USA tournament earlier this summer, I can't remember where it was. She got the least playing time of anyone, and her shooting didn't look particularly good. I believe I read somewhere that her high school 3-point percentage was 38%. Respectable, but not outstanding. Maybe my facts are wrong, but I don't think so. She did look super quick in a brief minute of tape I saw. Can someone who knows her game well explain to me?

Reaction Score
Geno has stated that recruits who are concerned with minutes in interviews don't get offers. Recruits who want to know their position on the team don't get offers.

Williams got an offer. So much for the theory that she is concerned over playing time.

I don't know who is friends with whom but some are pointing out that she and Ono are friendly and are visiting S Car & Tenn together. Well, I understand that she is also friendly with UConn verbal Collier and is scheduled to visit UConn with her in mid-October.

The one consistent thing I hear from all UConn recruits is that they chose UConn because they believed UConn would get the most out of them. They welcome the challenge. Those that are looking for an easier 4 years go elsewhere.

I don't think Williams came out and directly asked Coach Auriemma how much playing time she would get but it is 100% a factor in her and virtually everyone's recruiting.

I think you might be a little confused. Nelson-Ododa is not visiting Tennessee at all because they did not make her latest cut-down list. Williams is visiting South Carolina and Tennessee with Aquira Decosta.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Last but not least... Connecticut:

It'll be interesting how Geno and staff intend on selling playing time to Williams..
I really don't think UCONN sells playing time (or positions) to recruits. Other than IF you work you @ss off, you'll get to play.

I believe they sell
IF you want to be pushed beyond your known limits
IF you want to be as prepared as possible for the next level
IF you want a chance at NC(s)
IF you want to be part of a basketball family
IF you want to be part of something bigger than yourself

We can do that for you. But you're gonna have to work harder than you thought possible.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I understand the Tennessee coaches (Holly and 2 assistants) showed up to surprise Christyn Williams at her school today. Were they wearing T-shirts with her baby pictures while carrying a mini blimp? Honestly.
TN...
upload_2017-9-14_8-33-37.png

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
As far as recruits visiting schools together, particularly the fall visit before signing day, most schools designate one weekend in the fall to bring in their 3 or 4 top recruits at the same time. This allows the school, coaches and players to roll out the red carpet, and not have to worry about the time and effort required to host multiple recruits on multiple weekends. UConn has done this for years. I believe that CW's weekend will coincide with Charli Collier's visit and hopefully ONO will be there as well.

Reaction Score
I know CW must be great, based on what everyone says, the fight for her services, and being the only guard UConn is interested in. A lot of you seem to have followed her awhile and know her game well. I have seen her very little, but she didn't appear to have a very good USA tournament earlier this summer, I can't remember where it was. She got the least playing time of anyone, and her shooting didn't look particularly good. I believe I read somewhere that her high school 3-point percentage was 38%. Respectable, but not outstanding. Maybe my facts are wrong, but I don't think so. She did look super quick in a brief minute of tape I saw. Can someone who knows her game well explain to me?

Indeed she didn't play well this past summer but she was coming off of an injury and if I remember correctly an eye problem too...........as you can see there isn't a school in the country that wouldn't want her as part of their back court

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
CW played in two USA basketball tournaments this summer. 3 on 3 Tournament in China. CW is the one holding the trophy.
17 3x3 wu18 wc gold.jpg

CW was also a member of the U19 team that won silver in Italy this summer. She did receive the least playing time on the team but she was also the youngest member and only player returning to HS. Many members on that team are returning to college to start their Sophomore year, like Dangerfield of UCONN and Tasha Harris who was Starting PG on a National Championship team. So the accomplishment for CW was making the U19 team (2 full years !) ahead of her peers. CW also rose to #1 in the class per ESPN on the strength of her Junior year of HS and early play on the EYBL circuit where she was teammates with UCONN commit Charli Collier. Over the summer CW did not shoot the ball well partly due to battling an eye infection. CW is a straight up left handed nightmare that can score on all three levels similar to Kelsey Mitchell but much more willing to give the ball up and not nearly as dependent on her 3 ball or dribble.

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I've read elsewhere that DeCosta and Williams have mentioned playing together in college. We know Williams is good friends with Lexi Gordon. Most great players ultimately decide based on what's in their best interest and not being part of a package deal with or playing with another player. Relationships with future teammates matter but ultimately Christyn Williams will decide based on which coach she believes will best help her accomplish her lofty goals.

Edited to add "she believes" to last sentence

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Is this still the go-to catch-all recruiting thread? Ran across this from Raoul

The last guard ND had out of St. John's College worked out ok. They'll face stiff competition to get this one.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

The last guard ND had out of St. John's College worked out ok. They'll face stiff competition to get this one.

And she's in 2021. Just think how extensive that thread will be?
And in between, there's Baby Brunelle, Paige & Caitlin, Kylee Watson.
"The road goes on forever and the party never ends...." ;)

Reaction Score

ohhhhh you ND people.................probably should have gone in 19'/20' thread although you could have been particularly daring and started a new 21/22 recruiting thread.............I've been working up to that myself but just haven't pulled the trigger............:rolleyes:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
ohhhhh you ND people.......probably should have gone in 19'/20' thread although you could have been particularly daring and started a new 21/22 recruiting thread...I've been working up to that myself but just haven't pulled the trigger..:rolleyes:

See, I knew someone would be by to steer me in the right direction.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
ohhhhh you ND people.......probably should have gone in 19'/20' thread although you could have been particularly daring and started a new 21/22 recruiting thread...I've been working up to that myself but just haven't pulled the trigger..:rolleyes:

Mea Culpa, mea culpa. I was thinking of the 19-20, but then wouldn't of been able to tag team on Orangutan's post. Same for Azzi, is the 21/22 thread heating up that much? Heck, they're just H.S. freshmen!

But thanks for the Marina post...hope her ankle is recovering well....

Reaction Score
Mea Culpa, mea culpa. I was thinking of the 19-20, but then wouldn't of been able to tag team on Orangutan's post. Same for Azzi, is the 21/22 thread heating up that much? Heck, they're just H.S. freshmen!

But thanks for the Marina post...hope her ankle is recovering well....

we only have 17'-18' and 19'-20'.............yes, believe it or not there already seems to be a lot of recruiting activity there as evidenced by Ms. Fudd and others..............

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

I need to go to St. Johns games in my UConn sweatshirt. I failed to do that with Lindsay. ;)

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
While anything is possible, I'm really not buying that Aquira DeCosta and Christyn Williams are planning to attend the same school:

- DeCosta had her finalists as Cal, Tennessee, Baylor, South Carolina, and Louisville; she then replaces Cal with Southern Cal (and made her official 09/08)

- For a while, Christyn had her finalists as UConn, Tennessee, UCLA, Notre Dame, and Baylor; but, she ends up adding Texas and drops Baylor; she then drops Notre Dame and adds South Carolina; official visit taken to UCLA on 09/01

Just seems like if they were intent on attending the same school, they'd have both been targeting the same California school (UCLA or USC), and Williams would have kept Baylor and not replaced them with Texas. Then, they'd both have 4 similar finalists in UCLA, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Baylor.

Reaction Score
Destanni Henderson will be taking her OV to SC with DeCosta and Williams. Heard they're trying to get ONO to take her OV that same weekend as well. All four recruits played together in the U17 World Championships and all are good friends. Hopefully Des and Dawn and seal the deal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom