U16 Trials | Page 4 | The Boneyard

U16 Trials

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Jason Key suggests either Timea Gardiner or Janiah Barker as the #1 player in the '22 class right now, both UConn targets.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Shane Laflin reduces his field to 25, 13 of which are UConn POI:

Jones, Bransford, Miles, Rice, Watkins, Citron, Poffenbarger, Bigby, Barker, Gardiner, Betts, Moore, DeBerry

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
West Coast Premiere's only participant. She has to be the reason they are following Coach Lister.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
As noted, I believe this is the most talented U16 pool ever and even those not selected would beat the rest of the world too.

At the point guard line there’s a ton of competition after you get past everyone’s favorite big PG, Olivia Miles (5-8, Phillipsburg, NJ). Names that have impressed are: Aailyah Gayles (5-9, Las Vegas, NV), Raven Johnson (5-9, Atlanta, GA), Kayla McPherson (5-7, Hull, GA), Londynn Jones (5-6, Riverside, CA), Paris Clark (5-9, Huntington, NY), Caroline Lau (5-9, Westport, CT), Indya Niver (5-8, Apex, NC), De’Mauri Flournoy, (5-6 Villa Rica, GA) DeDe Hagerman (5-7, Mount Clemens, MI) with bigger guards K.K. Bransford (5-10, Cincinnati, OH), Kiki Rice (5-11, Bethesda, MD). Two surprise cuts were Rori Harmon (5-5, Houston, TX) and impressive Saniyah Glenn (6-1, Staten Island, NY).

The toughest spot will be off guard or big wing position where there’s another log jam of talent. I feel the most complete player at this position is Payton Verhulst (6-1, DeSoto, KS) who can leap and shoot and had a great USAB 3X3 Finals showing a month ago here in Colorado Springs. If one of the bigger guards fills a few of these spots then look for Sydney Bowles (5-11, Lithonia, GA), Taylor Bigby (6-1, Las Vegas, NV), shooter Mallorie Haines (5-10, Sherills Ford, NC), surprise JuJu Watkins (6-0, Los Angeles, CA) or Sonia Citron (6-1, Scarsdale, NY) to be selected.

If you divided the roster into four guards, four wings and four bigs you have another good problem selecting the last “four” and the overflow affecting the four wings position. Players like Aailyah Moore (6-3, Moore, OK), Ashyln Watkins (6-2, Columbus, SC), Grace VanSlooten (6-2, Toledo, OH), Timea Gardiner (6-3, Ogden, UT), Destiny Adams (6-3, Whiting, NJ) can switch inside and out. So many of the players here are great at what they do but it’s the translation to international play that determines who moves forward. The top “four” big spot has one lock with Lauren Betts (6-7, Centennial, CO) followed by Amari DeBerry (6-5, Buffalo, NY), Janiah Barker (6-3, Panama City, FL), Isuneh Brady (6-4, San Diego, CA), Sania Feagin (6-4, Ellenwood, GA), Tionna Herron (6-5, DeSoto, TX) playing the best with length. The Committee could select the next four and have an impressive lineup in Kennedy Basham (6-6, Phoenix, AZ), Jillian Hollinshead (6-4, Powder Springs, GA), Raegan Beers (6-3, Highlands Ranch, CO), Breya Cunningham, (6-3, Chula Vista, CA), Sophia Hart (6-4, Farmington, MN), Karoline Striplin (6-3, Hartford, AL), Sa’Myah Smith (6-4, DeSoto, TX), Okikiola Iriafen (6-3, Woodland Hills, CA).

Much more at the link.

Reaction Score
As noted, I believe this is the most talented U16 pool ever and even those not selected would beat the rest of the world too.

At the point guard line there’s a ton of competition after you get past everyone’s favorite big PG, Olivia Miles (5-8, Phillipsburg, NJ). Names that have impressed are: Aailyah Gayles (5-9, Las Vegas, NV), Raven Johnson (5-9, Atlanta, GA), Kayla McPherson (5-7, Hull, GA), Londynn Jones (5-6, Riverside, CA), Paris Clark (5-9, Huntington, NY),

I hope UConn is looking at Paris Clark one of the local kids who is already really good and going to be special..........

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2023 Judea Watkins 6' SG Windward School Los Angeles, CA
We are all witnesses. Judea Watkins is must see and in my opinion, the top 2023 prospect at USA Trials. She’s the best 2023 prospect that I’ve seen in all my travels this year. Watkins was another one of those players that struggled a bit early, but Watkins settled in and showed us the JuJu that many around the country have been raving about. , I think JuJu just got her legs, and the confidence she displayed in her game was palpable. She got to her pull up jumper in the lane effortlessly. JuJu bullied her way to rack and was also able to get some offensive rebounds and put-backs. She went left; she went right, JuJu was dynamite!

2021 Aaliyah Moore 6'3" PF Moore H.S. Moore, OK
Aaliyah Moore is mean! She has a take no prisoners attitude when she’s on the court. I’m sure at least half of the U16 USA Trials field will be taking home bruises as souvenirs courtesy of the physical play of Aaliyah Moore. She was phenomenal on Saturday as she played with a sense of urgency unmatched by her peers. Moore rebounded on both ends of the court, ran the floor, and finished at an elite level. I have no problem saying that Aaliyah Moore proved to be the toughest girl on the court and toughness goes a long way in this game.

2021 Destiny Adams 6'3" SF Manchester Township H.S. Whiting, NJ
Destiny Adams is versatility personified. She has so many layers to her game, and as time has gone on, she has peeled back the layers for all to see. Adams scored on all three levels against multiple types of defenders. Big ones, small ones, quick ones, slow ones, strong ones, fast ones, it just didn’t matter as Adams was able to create for herself and others at an elite level. Destiny Adams is one of my favorite long shots as an applicant athlete to help lead the USA to gold.

2022 Lauren Betts 6'7" C Grandview H.S. Centennial, CO
I’m 6'7", so when I tell you Lauren Betts is all of 6'7", then, believe me, Lauren Betts is 6'7". Betts has been quite the presence on the court. She’s blocking and altering shots that girls around the world just wouldn’t have a chance to get. Betts gets deep post position in the post and delivers. She’s fundamentally sound as she catches high and keeps high on pick and rolls and offensive rebounds. Betts has a good chance, and I believe the best opportunity to be a unique weapon for the US on the international scene for years to come.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Wouldn't be surprised if UConn adds this one to their target list at some point:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom