U16 Tournament | Page 4 | The Boneyard

U16 Tournament

Reaction Score
USA 45 -14 end 2Q. Not too much fun watch...
I'm guessing Latasha Lattimore and Shayeann Day-Wilson are too old to play, but really wish they were able to play for Canada. Would have made it a lot more exciting.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
US just way too good everywhere. Miles, Citron, Verhulst, Jones, Poffenbarger, Barker, Gardiner all making lots of plays.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see what these players look like in two years.

Liked pretty much all six of the '22's. Of the '21's, only DeBerry really disappointed. Citron and Poffenbarger have different games. Hard decision for UConn between those two and Demetre.

Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see what these players look like in two years.

Liked pretty much all six of the '22's. Of the '21's, only DeBerry really disappointed. Citron and Poffenbarger have different games. Hard decision for UConn between those two and Demetre.
I would say Citron. I think there is a good shot Demetre ends up at Stanford or Oregon. Although it has been proven wrong when 6’3” Mater Dei wings were predicted to stay out west.

Citron would be a great fit. Plays defense along the lines of Nurse.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I would say Citron. I think there is a good shot Demetre ends up at Stanford or Oregon. Although it has been proven wrong when 6’3” Mater Dei wings were predicted to stay out west.

Citron would be a great fit. Plays defense along the lines of Nurse.

I'd say that's overstating it, but she does try to defend. Very smart player, skilled, smooth shot, makes good decisions, leaks out in transition. If Poffenbarger was as efficient they might be on equal footing, but as it is Citron's probably the better fit.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
And actually, Talia Von Oelhoffen is another wing UConn is looking at in '21. Would like to see her play more.

Reaction Score
I'd say that's overstating it, but she does try to defend. Very smart player, skilled, smooth shot, makes good decisions, leaks out in transition. If Poffenbarger was as efficient they might be on equal footing, but as it is Citron's probably the better fit.
It has been quite challenging to get much of a feel because all of the games have been so lopsided and competition so poor. Both led the USA in steals (Citron was #2 overall, Poffenbarger #3). Both get up in the passing lanes, but there were no Izabella Nicoletti on the opposing teams, so it was a little hard to tell.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
MVP Payton Verhulst, a 21 6'1" guard. Did mulkey offer her when she was 11?? ;)

"The USA, which trailed just once in its six games (5-4 versus Chile on June 18), rolled to a perfect record and in the process compiled dominating statistics. USA head coach Mark Campbell of Union University saw his team average 103.0 points a game, limiting opponents to just 32.5 points a game, and the Americans’ average margin of victory was 70.5 points a game, which is the largest margin of victory for any USA women’s U16 team. "

50 point margin in the championship win over Canada. Whoa.

GOOD AS GOLD! USA captures FIBA Americas Championship, stopping Canada in gold-medal game; Payton Verhulst bags MVP honors - Bluestar Media

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
A number of D1 P5 Schools went a long way to view the prospects playing in Chile. According to SkinsHoops86, here's a sampling:

Those with Head Coaches present:
- Clemson
- North Carolina
- Ohio State
- Ole Miss

Other Schools:
- Florida State
- Maryland
- Missouri
- Notre Dame
- Stanford
- Texas
- UCLA

If memory holds, NC's Courtney Banghart -- then at Princeton -- was interested in Sonia Citron. Would think that interest has become even sharper now.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
A number of D1 P5 Schools went a long way to view the prospects playing in Chile. According to SkinsHoops86, here's a sampling:

- Clemson
- North Carolina
- Ohio State
- Ole Miss

Other Schools:
- Florida State
- Maryland
- Missouri
- Notre Dame
- Stanford
- Texas
- UCLA

If memory holds, NC's Courtney Banghart -- then at Princeton -- was interested in Sonia Citron. Would think that interest has become even sharper now.
I'm pretty sure Tennessee sent its assistant coaches as well.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

- Clemson
- North Carolina
- Ohio State
- Ole Miss

Other Schools:
- Florida State
- Maryland
- Missouri
- Notre Dame
- Stanford
- Texas
- UCLA

I knew that Caroline Ducharme was a strait A Ivy League caliber student but did not know that Sonia Citron also had those kind of academic accomplishments- Good for her!

BTW in case anyone else is wondering Missouri is probably most interested in Saylor Poffenbarger because her mother is a Missouri alumni.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I knew that Caroline Ducharme was a strait A Ivy League caliber student but did not know that Sonia Citron also had those kind of academic accomplishments- Good for her!

BTW in case anyone else is wondering Missouri is probably most interested in Saylor Poffenbarger because her mother is a Missouri alumni.

According to her bio on the U.S. National site, she's achieved at 95.6 average at The Ursuline School. Her half-brother, Kenneth, played at Princeton (Dad was a Bradley hoopster).

BTW, Payton Verhulst is no slacker either, with a 3.75 GPA. That trip to Chile was the first time outside of the U.S., so she made it a keeper.
As for blood ties -- darn, her mom played hoops at Duke (Triad, are you listening? ;) )

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Some post-U16 articles and interviews:

Saylor Poffenbarger:

Lauren Betts:

Payton Verhulst:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics