U16 Tournament | Page 3 | The Boneyard

U16 Tournament

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If you could only choose two players off this team to be eventual Huskies, who would they be?
Mine would be Verhulst and Betts.
I would pick DeBerry and Aaliyah Moore today because UCONN's recruiting picture for bigs is so unclear.
Betts is too far away and UCONN has already secure comparable talent to Verhulst in Paige & Nika . UCONN needs to secure some front court players that can step in and play soon.

Reaction Score
I would pick DeBerry and Aaliyah Moore today because UCONN's recruiting picture for bigs is so unclear.
Betts is too far away and UCONN has already secure comparable talent to Verhulst in Paige & Nika . UCONN needs to secure some front court players that can step in and play soon.
After watching her against a bunch of 5-9 kids this week, I feel the need to keep an eye on DeBerry once again. I hope you understand. ;);)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
After watching her against a bunch of 5-9 kids this week, I feel the need to keep an eye on DeBerry once again. I hope you understand. ;);)
I understand and agree. @victor64 boxed me in though, he specifically said I had to pick two player from this U16 team. Besides 2021 doesn't have a lot of post talent at the top.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I like Verhulst but I wouldn't put her shot on Fudd's level.

I've been very impressed with Citron and not made my admiration for Londynn Jones a secret. Really, all of the '22's are impressive in some form or another which is why they're all top-10 in the class.

Reaction Score
I understand and agree. @victor64 boxed me in though, he specifically said I had to pick two player from this U16 team. Besides 2021 doesn't have a lot of post talent at the top.
Assuming a good work ethic and considering who she has working with her, I think Betts has excellent potential. With the abysmal competition it's difficult to evaluate much except motor and killer instinct. Just don't like these FIBA tournaments at all. And everywhere these tourneys go they have to over inflate the balls by a couple pounds. Why? Just makes shooting and ballhandling look bad.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
To expand on my original post.

UCONN, it could be argued, would like any of the twelve to be future recruits. Probably an additional ten that got cut that they would interested in.

I am not suggesting that Verhulst is the talent that Fudd. Verhulst does not have the mid range game, the passing skills, strength or rebounding prowess of Fudd. Where Verhulst does somewhat compare favorably, is her shooting mechanics. Fudd's are better but the gap is not that wide.

I hope DeBerry decides to be a Husky. She has two years of high school to address whatever "flaws" were exposed in this tournament. The timing for Betts coming to UCONN may work out if Prince commits. Betts may enroll about the time (within a year, give or take) that Prince leaves. DeBerry and Betts, even though they have not done it yet, could coexist on the floor at the same time.

I realize the competition is not very strong but the talent these kids have shown is impressive especially because they are so young.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Quarter-final against Brazil.

Citron the best player in the 1st quarter again: Jumping passing lanes, getting loose in transition, hitting threes, banking in shots after her own miss.

Jones hit a three and a toe on the line kept her from a second. Also driving the Brazil PG nuts.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Betts has a barrel full of blocks and rebounds. Her hands are not great.

Jones hits another three after a feed from Poffenbarger. Saylor is kind of a jack of all trades.

Bransford needs to learn to slow down. I like her aggression but she really forces plays and tends to be out of control at times.

The halfcourt offense is not exactly a thing of beauty. It would help if they could throw
an entry pass.

Third three for Jones.

Rice's shot is just flat ugly, both from outside and the line.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I might have Londynn Jones at the top of the heap at this point. She's an excellent ball-handler, makes mostly good decisions, is a wicked defender, can really shoot, and is smart and tenacious. Incredibly impressive and she's the youngest player on the team.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
107-32

Poffenbarger finally hit a three after missing six straight today. She was 2-12 from the field but had 9 rebounds, 5 assists, and 6 steals, much of which she compiled in the last few minutes.

Barker fouled out and was demonstrably upset, pushing away one of her teammates who tried to "console" her.

Betts had 15 points and 14 boards.

Citron was the best player, IMO, ending up with 16 points (7/12 FG), 5 rebounds, 3 assists, 4 steals, and 4 blocks.

Aaliyah Moore had a really good game too. If she'd shelve the three attempts she'd be even better.

Jones, Citron, and Poffenbarger were the only Americans not to commit a turnover.

Reaction Score
They are scheduled for the first semifinal at 6pm ET on Friday against Puerto Rico. The YouTube link is not available yet.

freekimchee

food whisperer
Reaction Score
If you could only choose two players off this team to be eventual Huskies, who would they be?

Mine would be Verhulst and Betts.

If we didn't already have Paige and Nika (and hopefully Azzi), I would say most definitely Verhulst. I'm just SO impressed with her overall game. With that said, the one player who I think would be a perfect fit in Geno's system though is Saylor Poff. Very unselfish player, maybe too much, really. She's like a Swiss Army knife. Does all the little things, plus she seems very long when playing defense.

With that said, I'll have to go with Saylor and DeBerry at this time. Not worried about DeBerry at all, she's got a couple more years to work on her game.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
An ugly first half in the semifinal against Puerto Rico. Not that the US is in any danger of losing, but the execution left a lot to be desired. Very, very sloppy.

Poffenbarger and Jones kind of turned the game into the US' favor late in the first quarter.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Poffenbarger with two threes and some other nice plays in the 3rd. Her best game of the tourney, imo.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Barker's a great athlete with excellent skill, but if she tried the kind of lazy pass at UConn she did tonight she might not get back in the game.

Reaction Score
103-30 the final.

Barker, Betts, Miles, Poffenbarger, and Verhulst probably the best players in this one.

I really like Barker and Betts. They are bigs that play big. Barker reminds me of NaLyssa Smith, she's tough with a motor, and has natural strength which many young women just don't have. Good skills and whatever school gets her, she will be an impact player. Betts is getting some very good coaching on fundamentals at a young age. For 6-7, she's very mobile and when she learns to put a little arc on her shot and develops upper body strength she's going to be a load. I’ll be very interested to see how they compete when and if they actually play against somebody their size.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Barker might be the most gifted player in the tourney. What staff gets her to get all out of her potential I believe will be crucial.

Reaction Score
LIVE - Canada v USA - Gold Medal - FIBA U16 Women's Americas Championship 2019

Reaction Score
Getting very physical between DeBerry and a Canadian. Verhulst was too shocked they didn't call an offensive foul on the Canadian and gave up a wide open layup:D DeBerry retaliated with an elbow to the face, charged an intentional.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom