U-20 World Cup | Page 2 | The Boneyard

U-20 World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If they win their group (win or draw v. Ukraine), they get the 3rd place team from groups C, D, or E.
If they finish second (lose to Ukraine) they get 2nd place team from Group C, so most likely either Colombia or Portugal.

Reaction Score
Looking at the last two posts, I think Wisky is wrong. These are 20 year olds -- they shouldn't need the extra recovery time. I think in this tournament you are going for the higher seed.

Reaction Score
Looking at the last two posts, I think Wisky is wrong. These are 20 year olds -- they shouldn't need the extra recovery time. I think in this tournament you are going for the higher seed.

Depends on who is sitting on yellows too. Miazga is sitting on a yellow so I think Erik Palmer-Brown will start for him. It's about resting for the KO stage. They only get two days in between games. If we can play for a draw and rest guys then that's a big advantage. Plus we already lost one of the strikers so we're down a man.

Just need a draw to win the group.

Reaction Score
I did see the game (woke up at 5:30 and watched the recording). The offense was much, much sharper with this lineup. More short passing and off ball movements. Agaoinst Myanmar, they clearly were just trying to win on raw athleticism alone.

Reaction Score
I did see the game (woke up at 5:30 and watched the recording). The offense was much, much sharper with this lineup. More short passing and off ball movements. Agaoinst Myanmar, they clearly were just trying to win on raw athleticism alone.

I've only seen the highlights. But it sounds like Hyndman and Zelalem were brilliant, Miazga and CCV were great in central defense and Rubin was really active on the night. Sounds like Rubin stole a goal from Bradford Jamieson. Is that about right? Hopefully I will have some time tonight to watch it.

I think Myanmar had one good game in their legs. Technically really gifted but they were probably spent after standing up to the US.

Also in the U-23 tournament, Julian Green scored. He's the only player to start all four games.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Also in the U-23 tournament, Julian Green scored. He's the only player to start all four games.
US beat Qatar 1-0 in France, finishing 2-2 (wins v. the Dutch and Qatar, losses v. France U20's and CR). The French U20 team is beating pretty much everybody's U23's that they've played.

Reaction Score
US beat Qatar 1-0 in France, finishing 2-2 (wins v. the Dutch and Qatar, losses v. France U20's and CR). The French U20 team is beating pretty much everybody's U23's that they've played.

Imagine if the French brought Pogba and Laporte to the tournament. Talk about out of hand.

In fairness, I think our U-20s would beat the US U-23s on this squad.

Reaction Score
I've only seen the highlights. But it sounds like Hyndman and Zelalem were brilliant, Miazga and CCV were great in central defense and Rubin was really active on the night. Sounds like Rubin stole a goal from Bradford Jamieson. Is that about right? Hopefully I will have some time tonight to watch it.

I think Myanmar had one good game in their legs. Technically really gifted but they were probably spent after standing up to the US.

Both CArter-Vickham and MIazga are going to be really good seniors down the road.

Add Arreola to the the attackers who moved the ball well and looked dangerous. It's frankly amazing that we have a U-20 team with most starters having some high level pro experience in MLS or major European leagues.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yea, I think. From the highlights I saw, he tapped one in that was probably going in anyway.

Reaction Score
Rubin's first goal was already across the line. What a poacher.

I watched the game yesterday up until the third goal. Zelalem is all that. He's very Iniesta/Xavi like. He plays smooth and seemingly slow. The Kiwis we're so baffled by him that he was always getting space and if he didn't he would dribble out of trouble and make a neat pass forward that actually penetrated. Sometimes it wouldn't come off but it was always pretty. Physically he needs to grow a bit, I don't know if I would want him on the Gold Cup Team but I wouldn't complain.

Hyndman is the center midfielder who should play more forward, but he and Zelalem seemed to have figured out a good balance.

The Dutch guy who was playing Left Back Payne? He was really good too. That was the first time I saw him play.

I give Klinsmann tons of credit for playing Rubio Rubin with the National Team. He's also getting minutes in the 1st Division Dutch league, but his work rate created a bunch of opportunities as well.

Bunch of other good players out there. The only real weak points I saw were Miazga who gave up too many easy fouls and maybe Delgado.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I watched the game yesterday up until the third goal. Zelalem is all that. He's very Iniesta/Xavi like. He plays smooth and seemingly slow. The Kiwis we're so baffled by him that he was always getting space and if he didn't he would dribble out of trouble and make a neat pass forward that actually penetrated. Sometimes it wouldn't come off but it was always pretty. Physically he needs to grow a bit, I don't know if I would want him on the Gold Cup Team but I wouldn't complain.
I'm hoping he comes good for Arsenal and the USNT. That Rabona Nutmeg he pulled off was sweet. Here's a page that has a couple clips of him vs NZ.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/...-off-ridiculous-rabona-nutmeg-assist-for-usa/

Reaction Score
3 or 4 years from now, where do you seem him slotting in on the pitch for the Gunners (fingers crossed)?

Supposed quote from Arsene Wenger

Q: Why didn't you resign Cesc Fabergas?

A: Gedion Zelalem

Reaction Score

Some Arsenal fan put together a video from the other night with every touch of the game. About 8 minutes of video.

Reaction Score
3 or 4 years from now, where do you seem him slotting in on the pitch for the Gunners (fingers crossed)?
Playing for Bayern, beating Arsenal in UCL group play (fingers crossed)... ;).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

They don't go from Arsenal to Bayern, they go from Arsenal to Barcelona. ;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Supposed quote from Arsene Wenger

Q: Why didn't you resign Cesc Fabergas?

A: Gedion Zelalem
I think the real answer was Mesut Özil. (Even though he's actually playing the Cazorla position now.)

Reaction Score
I think the real answer was Mesut Özil. (Even though he's actually playing the Cazorla position now.)

I see both of those players in Zelalem.

Many people in the media seem worried that he is the new Freddy Adu. Which is really a dumb concern. Freddy Adu was in MLS and was treated like a publicity stunt. His development and accountability were tossed out the window.

Zelalem trains with Ozil, Casorla, Wilshere, Sanchez etc.... every day. So he gets a regular reality. Some of these guys aren't going to be phased out any time soon. The thing that troubles me the most is when will he be able to break into the first team solidly. It might not be until he is 23. That's five years from now.

Reaction Score

Jaimeson started this game. I thought that he looked good again.

Reaction Score

How much longer until the Doomsday Clock at White Hart Lane hits Zero and Harry Kane gets signed by Chelsea, Liverpool or jumps ship to Spain?

Reaction Score
How much longer until the Doomsday Clock at White Hart Lane hits Zero and Harry Kane gets signed by Chelsea, Liverpool or jumps ship to Spain?
730 days, Real Madrid has already picked out his locker for him.

Reaction Score
You expect him to "Bale" on Spurs and head to Real so easily?? ;)
Well done, sir.
I think Kane has a better shot at staying with Spurs given it is his childhood team...but money and the opportunity to play at the highest levels talks. If Levy jacks around with transfers, as he usually does, and doesn't build an appropriate team to consistently vie for top 3 in the EPL (and UCL), then ya, he will eventually go south to Spain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom