U-20 World Cup | The Boneyard

U-20 World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://americansoccernow.com/articles/tough-choices-surprises-on-u-20-world-cup-roster

Here's the US Roster. One spot still open and it's reserved for Gedion Zelalem.

Many of the talented kids you may have saw in qualifying were left off.

GOALKEEPERS: Jeff Caldwell (University of Virginia; Todd, N.C.), Ethan Horvath (Molde FK; Highlands Ranch, Colo.), Zack Steffen (Freiburg; Downingtown, Pa.)

DEFENDERS: Cameron Carter-Vickers (Tottenham Hotspur; Westcliff on Sea, England), Matthew Miazga (New York Red Bulls; Clifton, N.J.), Shaquell Moore (Unattached; Powder Springs, Ga.), Erik Palmer-Brown (Sporting Kansas City; Lee's Summit, Mo.), Desevio Payne (FC Groningen; Greenwood, S.C.), John Requejo (Club Tijuana; Carpinteria, Calif.)

MIDFIELDERS: Kellyn Acosta (FC Dallas; Plano, Texas), Paul Arriola (Club Tijuana; Chula Vista, Calif.), Russell Canouse (Hoffenheim; Lancaster, Pa.), Marco Delgado (Toronto FC; Glendora, Calif.), Emerson Hyndman (Fulham; Dallas, Texas), Joel Soñora (Boca Juniors; Buenos Aires, Argentina)

FORWARDS: Jordan Allen (Real Salt Lake; Rochester, N.Y.), Bradford Jamieson IV (LA Galaxy; Los Angeles, Calif.), Rubio Rubin (Utrecht; Beaverton, Ore.), Maki Tall (Red Star; Washington, D.C.), Tommy Thompson (San Jose Earthquakes; Loomis, Calif.)

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
A lot of "who?" on that roster. With Olympic qualifying, and the Gold Cup, looks like the U-20 is about mostly about development.

Reaction Score
A lot of "who?" on that roster. With Olympic qualifying, and the Gold Cup, looks like the U-20 is about mostly about development.

Gonna disagree there. I think this group is better than the U-23s or at least will turn out to be a better cohort than the U-23s. The biggest shift in this roster from previous ones:

Only one player from the NCAA.

The stars on this team will be: Zach Steffen in goal, Cameron Carter Vickers at centerback, Emerson Hyndman, Rubio Rubin, Tommy Thompson and Bradford Jamieson.

Of all those guys, the ones getting the most first team minutes are Miazga, Rubin, Acosta, Jamieson and Thompson. Some of the other guys from Liga MX might play as well.

Hyndman was playing for the first team at Fulham until they sacked their manager and then he was hurt in qualifying and hasn't played since. He was pretty much the boss during qualifying, often times the best player on the field. He takes the corners and the free kicks. He plays a lot like Michael Bradley but he also enjoys getting forward.

Miazga is eligible to play for Poland as well. Apparently they will call him up when the World Cup is over. The Red Bulls have been one of the best teams in the league this year and he's been playing a lot.

Rubin is in his first pro season and he has impressed in a First Division Dutch Club.

Tommy Thompson is the only reason to watch the San Jose Earthquakes. He's just not afraid to try stuff. They just need to figure out what position they want him to play.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I second that. 8 MLS and 5 foreign players for an under 20 squad is solid.

Reaction Score
I second that. 8 MLS and 5 foreign players for an under 20 squad is solid.

And if even more so when you look at some of the names who were left off. Gall and Roldan in particular. Also, Jordan Morris was cut from the U-20s a while back. So this obviously isn't the end all be all. And I am pretty sure that if MLS didn't have the salary cap like it is, Morris would be a pro at this point. They just can't pay him enough to leave Stanford and his stock is only going to go up while he starts for the U-23s.

Of all of the U-20s pools this country has had, this is easily the most talented one since the one that included Donovan, Beasley, Beckerman etc. The 2007 version looked really good, but only Bradley and Altidore ever panned out.

Rubin and Hyndman have already been capped. Zelalem would be capped if FIFA had already approved his paperwork. Carter-Vickers and Palmer-Brown developed really fast, the only worry there is that they have peaked physically.

Reaction Score
That is good news. Some interesting omissions from the fina l roster, but it sure seems there is a lot of talnpent coming up in this group. Really hope this team has a good cup. They've got some talent, hopefully they gel and do some damage. It will be a glimpse of the potential for 2022 (and possible contributors to 2108).

Reaction Score
That is good news. Some interesting omissions from the fina l roster, but it sure seems there is a lot of talnpent coming up in this group. Really hope this team has a good cup. They've got some talent, hopefully they gel and do some damage. It will be a glimpse of the potential for 2022 (and possible contributors to 2108).

I believe that no host country has failed to advance to the Round of 16 in World Cup play. So exactly how is FIFA going to make sure that Qatar (currently ranked #99) advances or do I even want to know?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
FIFA cleared Gedion to play for the USMNT, very good news.

http://www.espnfc.us/united-states/...lem-cleared-by-fifa-to-play-for-united-states
boom-goes-the-dynamite-geeksandcleats.jpg

Reaction Score
Don't want to get ahead of things, but if Zelalem has a good World Cup, then it's not outside the realm of the possible that he could make the Gold Cup roster too, at least for the Group stage. I think he will be involved in the Olympic Qualifying at least.

It will be interesting to see how he compares to Emerson Hyndman. This is all shaping up really nicely.

Reaction Score
I believe that no host country has failed to advance to the Round of 16 in World Cup play. So exactly how is FIFA going to make sure that Qatar (currently ranked #99) advances or do I even want to know?
By the same manner in which they "won" the hosting rights to the '22 WC.....Money is the great equalizer. Qatar will mysteriously lead the WC in penalty kicks taken and opponents getting red cards.

Reaction Score
By the same manner in which they "won" the hosting rights to the '22 WC.....Money is the great equalizer. Qatar will mysteriously lead the WC in penalty kicks taken and opponents getting red cards.

http://www.si.com/soccer/planet-futbol/2014/08/01/qatar-world-cup-corruption-heat-rights-concerns

You guys probably read this.

But Qatar is basically recruiting talented African kids, paying their parents 10,000 bucks a month and putting them into their Aspire Academy. It's basically a club soccer setup.

Their U-20s are no joke. The US played them a few weeks ago and we drew. They could have a really competent team by 2022.

Reaction Score
http://www.si.com/soccer/planet-futbol/2014/08/01/qatar-world-cup-corruption-heat-rights-concerns

You guys probably read this.

But Qatar is basically recruiting talented African kids, paying their parents 10,000 bucks a month and putting them into their Aspire Academy. It's basically a club soccer setup.

Their U-20s are no joke. The US played them a few weeks ago and we drew. They could have a really competent team by 2022.

Having dealt with trying to get employees working visa's in Qatar, which can take years and a boat load of money, why am I not surprised that getting visas for soccer players right now is a not only simper; but, Qatar will pay of it. Cripes.

What are the chances that the US gets placed into a pod with Qatar and one of the Top 5 (Germany, Argentina, Brazil, etc.) teams thus virtually by way of 20 offside calls and 10 Qatar penalties, the US does not advance tot he Round of 16? Considering it's FIFA, about 90%.

Reaction Score
....gets going tonight. Host New Zealand v Ukraine at 9pm on FS1. U.S. plays Myanmar at midnight, same channel. Looks like Rangers game 7 and then US soccer for me!

Reaction Score
Wow. U.S. Soccer loves to make it interesting. The U20's looked sloppy majority of the game, with a few moments of brilliance sprinkled in between, against a VASTLY inferior team. They ultimately held in to win 2-1 to sit atop Group A (NZ/Ukraine played to a draw). It's a win though, now bring on the host country.

Reaction Score
I give credit to Myanmar. They brought their A game. This US Team isn't high scoring, so that early goal made it more interesting than it should be.

USA looked dominant in the second half.

Reaction Score
Wow. U.S. Soccer loves to make it interesting. The U20's looked sloppy majority of the game, with a few moments of brilliance sprinkled in between, against a VASTLY inferior team. They ultimately held in to win 2-1 to sit atop Group A (NZ/Ukraine played to a draw). It's a win though, now bring on the host country.
They had very little time to be together, given the timing of their club teams. They were more dominant in the second half once they subbed out. Jaimeson especially began to create.

Next Recording Vs. New Zeland
3:00 AM ET
Tue, June 2

Reaction Score
They had very little time to be together, given the timing of their club teams. They were more dominant in the second half once they subbed out. Jaimeson especially began to create.

Next Recording Vs. New Zeland
3:00 AM ET
Tue, June 2

This is a game that we need at least a point on. 3 points would be better. Just want to see a US team have a meaningless (in a good way) 3rd Group Stage match.

One problem is Zelalem and Hyndman. They are both so similar in styles. I guess the plan is to use Zelalem as a tucked in winger. The other problem is that we really don't have a consistent finisher on top. The US Men's Program is like Center Mid U right now, from U-17s on up to the NT.

Reaction Score
NZ had some pep in their step v. Ukraine. They had a few golden opportunitties they failed to convert (as did Ukraine). Should be a good match.

Reaction Score
Ukraine (who I have family from and root for along w/USMNT) just dismantled Myanmar, 6-0. If we beat New Zealand, both us and Ukraine are through. Best case scenario. We need to get 3 against New Zealand. Not having Tall may also hurt, we're gonna see how much depth this team has.

Reaction Score
SPOILER below if you DVRd the game.

No way was I staying up and I don't have the self control to not check.

US wins 4-0. Hyndman, Zelalem, Rubin, Carter-Vickers and company had a good match. Rubin had a terrific effort with his workrate. Even unneccesarily tapped in a goal that should have been credited to Bradford Jamieson. Zelalem had a bunch of moments that will probably become GIFs.

The good news is that Hyndman and Zelalem showed they can have a good partnership in central midfield.

http://americansoccernow.com/articles/young-yanks-make-strong-statement-beat-nz-4-0

Reaction Score
Nice result . I caught a bit of it when I woke up around 3:30-4am. Turned on the game, caught the last 5-10 minutes of the 1st half, and fell back to sleep before the second haf came on. Great result, they seemed to be clicking pretty well.

It took the Ukraine a full half to figure htem out, but they ulrimatley unlocked Myanmar, winning 6-0 and scoring all 6 in the second half.

Reaction Score
Nice result . I caught a bit of it when I woke up around 3:30-4am. Turned on the game, caught the last 5-10 minutes of the 1st half, and fell back to sleep before the second haf came on. Great result, they seemed to be clicking pretty well.

It took the Ukraine a full half to figure htem out, but they ulrimatley unlocked Myanmar, winning 6-0 and scoring all 6 in the second half.

So with advancement locked up. I expect Ramos will play a bunch of guys that haven't seen the field against Ukraine.

I know it's just U-20s but this is pretty exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom