Tyrese Martin Wavier | The Boneyard

Tyrese Martin Wavier

Do you want Tyrese Martin to get a wavier for the upcoming season?

• Yes

Votes: 144 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 48 25.0%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Hey guys just curious what everyone wants (Not that it matters) regarding Tyrese Martin’s wavier.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Once we got Adama Sanogo's commitment, I wanted Tyrese Martin to get the waiver to play this year. With him, this is the best, most well-rounded roster we have had in years... easily since 2014 and probably farther back than that (although no one of Shabazz's level combo of talent/leadership to take us all the way just yet... Bouk maybe if he takes the next big step? I am getting ahead of myself here, just a bit, but fun to think about it).

The two biggest "weaknesses" (and I put that in quotes because they are not nearly as big a weakness as in recent years) is potentially outside shooting and ball handling when certain lineups will be on the court. Tyrese helps fill at least one of those.

If Tyrese is allowed to play this year, and IF this team gels the way it could (big IF, but tantalizing nonetheless), and Polley and Akok can come back and be effective pieces by March?...

I am telling you all right now, this could be a special year... I mean challenging for the conference championship and a potentially deep run in the tournament kind of special.

Feels SO GOOD to be able to say that, and actually believe it!

pj

Reaction Score
I don't get why anyone wouldn't want him to have the waiver. Players need to play. College is a waystation on the way to a pro career, no point in lingering in college and sitting on the bench.

Reaction Score
Best thing for Jackson is that Martin plays this year. Both will have time play their best to be on the floor.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
To be honest, I hope we have a season. But if we do, I want us to walk in to Big East, punch Villanova in the mouth, step on the lessers and announce that we own the place. Martin helps us do that. All this talk of redshirts or holding guys out, nah, that was never UConn basketball. We reload.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
What I will say is that good teams generally don’t go too deep. Look at how much we improved this year after our rotation was shortened. Remember the mess we had in 2011-2012 when we had like a 12 player rotation at one point? Then the next two seasons we greatly overperformed with a much shorter rotation?

Reaction Score
To be honest, I hope we have a season. But if we do, I want us to walk in to Big East, punch Villanova in the mouth, step on the lessers and announce that we own the place. Martin helps us do that. All this talk of redshirts or holding guys out, nah, that was never UConn basketball. We reload.
Sold!

C

Chief00

Agree, look at our stacked lineup in 2004, with future NBA first rounders coming off the bench.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I dont see where Martin fits into the rotation this year. With Bouk and Polley gone, that'll open a ton of mins and shots. I think him and Andre hold down the wings the year after.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score

Posting because it shows Martin redshirting. Not that this is gospel

What I love about this grid is, you look at 23/24, AJ is probably gone to the league (hopefully), and the rest are all awesome pieces to a national contender. Every last one

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Has the option for a waiver reopened?
Did I miss something?
Or are we playing what-if games?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Let's keep this simple. Martin is a known commodity and a high quality addition to the rotation. You play him as soon as you can. There's a reason why you recruit every year.

Only reason anyone should even select "no" to this question is if they believe there won't be a season this year and think the NCAA will have all players not play and lose a year of eligibility.

Reaction Score
I dont see where Martin fits into the rotation this year. With Bouk and Polley gone, that'll open a ton of mins and shots. I think him and Andre hold down the wings the year after.

While I would agree it would be better to wait does anyone think it's better to play when you can instead of waiting for the "what's better"? I mean, knock on wood and hate to say it, Bouk or Aj go down - everyone's saying wish we had Martin. Even if they don't the depth would be incredible, foul troubles a thing too. Plus in many instances, any of Martin, Bouk and AJ playing together means you only need the PG as all can handle the 2 well enough especially being on the floor at the same time.

I mean best plans are to have him as your Bouk replacement 21-22, 22-23' but....

Reaction Score
While I would agree it would be better to wait does anyone think it's better to play when you can instead of waiting for the "what's better"? I mean, knock on wood and hate to say it, Bouk or Aj go down - everyone's saying wish we had Martin. Even if they don't the depth would be incredible, foul troubles a thing too. Plus in many instances, any of Martin, Bouk and AJ playing together means you only need the PG as all can handle the 2 well enough especially being on the floor at the same time.

I mean best plans are to have him as your Bouk replacement 21-22, 22-23' but....

I’m team wanting the waiver, but in your described scenario, I believe a voluntary RS could be rescinded if needed. He would just lose that season.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Now add COVID considerations to that. Anybody tests positive and they are out for at least 14 days.

Reaction Score
Has the option for a waiver reopened?
Did I miss something?
Or are we playing what-if games?
Haven't seen anything just see people talking about it and wanted to see what everyone was thinking.

C

Chief00

What I love about this grid is, you look at 23/24, AJ is probably gone to the league (hopefully), and the rest are all awesome pieces to a national contender. Every last one
I don’t know with transfers in and out, guys going to The League, etc. it would be interesting matching grid expectations against forecast - but granted it’s a starting point.

Reaction Score
This might be it's own thread, and I may have missed it, but is there any update on Polley and Akoks' rehab status? Thank you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom