Tyrese Martin Waiver Approved! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Tyrese Martin Waiver Approved!

Reaction Score
If I were a betting man he redshirts. He is a year younger than most in this class to begin with and needs the SnC program badly
Let's assume your "bet" comes to pass..Brown redshirts.. What about the 2021 season.?Do you redshirt Samson Johnson for the same SnC reasons next year so that Brown can get minutes? If so.. Doesn't it cause a log jam for the 2022 Big recruiting targets like DC and Lil Sool's friend--Lively?? Now that DH/staff has successfully recruited NBA-level talent to the roster..Managing minutes/roster construction (including who to redshirt and when) will be his next challenge.. Nice problem to have but these kids want minutes and skill/physical development..Part of the positive evolution of what's going on in Storrs..Crazy thought..What if Brown actually reaches his huge upside sooner than projected ??How does Adama get his minutes?? We won't know the answers to these questions for awhile.. Trust the Carpenter..

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Javonte may be a 1st round pick when he leaves after maybe 3 years.
I don’t think Polley is a medical question mark anymore but Akok still is.
For Polley to get lots of playing time he will really need to knock down 3’s and defend.

I didn't list Polley, because he's a multi position bench guy now. I doubt he can beat out Martin at SF, but maybe he can. Then there is Jackson. Polley isn't an effective PF, but he is the only shooter we can play at that spot with Akok out. So if Dan wants to put 4 shooters out there, I can see Polley at the 4.

In any event, there are just so many lineup options with this team.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Only issue is whether Hurley starts freshman Sanogo over senior and slimmed down to 2018 effectiveness Carlton. My money says Josh starts, Sanogo eventually earns more minutes.
#thinjosh

Reaction Score
Let's assume your "bet" comes to pass..Brown redshirts.. What about the 2021 season.?Do you redshirt Samson Johnson for the same SnC reasons next year so that Brown can get minutes? If so.. Doesn't it cause a log jam for the 2022 Big recruiting targets like DC and Lil Sool's friend--Lively?? Now that DH/staff has successfully recruited NBA-level talent to the roster..Managing minutes/roster construction (including who to redshirt and when) will be his next challenge.. Nice problem to have but these kids want minutes and skill/physical development..Part of the positive evolution of what's going on in Storrs..Crazy thought..What if Brown actually reaches his huge upside sooner than projected ??How does Adama get his minutes?? We won't know the answers to these questions for awhile.. Trust the Carpenter..

Samson plays the 4, so Lively and Brown aren't really relevant. He'll spot at the 5 like Akok, but he's way too skinny for serious minutes at the 5. He is INCREDIBLY raw, but I don't think he's a redshirt candidate unless he really doesn't keep improving at a fast rate. He'll only have Akok and potentially Springs ahead of him on the roster as true 4s. Javonte Brown Ferguson has 3 guys ahead of him (most likely), and is young for his class. I wouldn't bet against it.

Pretty nice problem to have, eh?

Reaction Score
Samson plays the 4, so Lively and Brown aren't really relevant. He'll spot at the 5 like Akok, but he's way too skinny for serious minutes at the 5. He is INCREDIBLY raw, but I don't think he's a redshirt candidate unless he really doesn't keep improving at a fast rate. He'll only have Akok and potentially Springs ahead of him on the roster as true 4s. Javonte Brown Ferguson has 3 guys ahead of him (most likely), and is young for his class. I wouldn't bet against it.

Pretty nice problem to have, eh?
All speculative on my part.. Just thought an emerging/improving Brown in 2021 might push Adama to the 4 ahead of Samson..Assuming that Akok has moved on to the next level..

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
All speculative on my part.. Just thought an emerging/improving Brown in 2021 might push Adama to the 4 ahead of Samson..Assuming that Akok has moved on to the next level..

Adama isn't a 4. In order to play the 4 at the college level, you have to be able to play outside at least a little bit, or at the very least defend stretch 4s.

Reaction Score
Adama isn't a 4. In order to play the 4 at the college level, you have to be able to play outside at least a little bit, or at the very least defend stretch 4s.
Got it.. Guess we'll have some 5s on the bench.. Thought Adama's NBA positional projection was as a 4 and he may want to get some minutes at the college level at the 4..Will be interesting to watch it play out..

Reaction Score
Got it.. Guess we'll have some 5s on the bench.. Thought Adama's NBA positional projection was as a 4 and he may want to get some minutes at the college level at the 4..Will be interesting to watch it play out..

The nice thing about Adama, for us, is he isn't really the type of player at this point that fits the NBA game that well. He's not really big enough to be a center, and doesn't stretch the floor enough to be a 4 in today's game. This bodes well for him being here for at least 3 years I would think.

Reaction Score
I expect Akok to be here in 22`. He has a lot of development ahead of him before hes ready to play in the NBA.

C

Chief00

so is brown gonna redshirt or is it worth playing him <5 mpg? depends if he's a 4 year player or not.
I think he will definitely play. If Chief is projecting NBA rather than college. I would project a top 3 from the current team (in no order):
Bouknight
Jackson
Brown

Last edited by a moderator:

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I think he will definitely play. If Chief is projecting NBA rather than college. I would project a top 3 from the current team (in no order):
Bouknight
Jackson
Brown
So Brown ahead of Akok? Interesting.

pj

Reaction Score
While I respect Rothstein ..... not sure about his starting 5 to start. Whaley and Carlton most likely I think.

You're both right. Whaley to start the season and Andre Jackson working his way into the starting 5 later.

Reaction Score
Bouknight
Jackson
Brown
Who do you see not playing this year then? We're definitely not gonna have a 13 man rotation

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Pure speculation with no info to back it up whatsoever other than a few tweets and reporter's notes from press conferences.…..

Great to hear about Martin being granted immediate eligibility. I do think we will see Jackson's knee issues linger and affect his PT due to limiting practice and therapy. Would not surprise me at all if Jackson at one point goes under the knife and then redshirts. May mean we only have him for one full season if he is as good as we all hope he is.

Reaction Score
Oh, don’t do that, don’t ever do that.

We’re doomed.
'George Mason' is the appropriate response to those types of posts.

To his defense he may not have been around back then.

Reaction Score
-Official practice starts Oct. 14, games can start as early as Nov. 25, giving Hurley plenty of time to formulate lineup options.
-Bouknight might be the only player guaranteed to start.
-AJ has not competed in any live play since he arrived on campus meaning he'll likely be behind schedule in terms of conditioning, learning/runnning plays and playing catch up for awhile. Might not see him start til late in season.

"There is so much depth here that one could imagine multiple starting lineups throughout the season. There will be competition for playing time almost everywhere."
“That’s the way it should be here,” Hurley said. “I was talking to Kevin Freeman and Taliek (Brown) about the history (at UConn). There should be guys competing for minutes. Good players will have to come off the bench.”

Reaction Score
we got a kentucky lite thing going here. we dont have 5* guys in our second string but we have 4* guys in our 3rd string.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom