Tyrese Martin Waiver Approved! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tyrese Martin Waiver Approved!

Reaction Score
One takeaway is Rothstein thinks Martin can play.
Yep, moved us up from 28th to 23rd in his preseason ranking right after he dropped the news on Martin's waiver. Rothstein actually pays attention to the many college bball programs in New England like URI so he saw Martin the last couple years and knows how potentially impactful he could be for us.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It may depend on when the season starts but I can't see a freshman with a recent injury starting. And while Sanogo may end up being the best of the bigs he would really have had to dominate practice to begin the season as our starting center. If Polley is fully recovered I think he starts along with Bouk, RJ, and Whaley. The last spot is probably between Gaffney and Martin, with the nod going to Martin.

Reaction Score
First instinct is something like this on the rotation. Carlton will have the chance to earn some more minutes until Akok is back healthy

PG: Cole (25), Gaffney (15)
SG: Bouknight (25), Adams (10), Gaffney (5)
SF: Polley (15), Jackson (20), Martin (5)
PF: Martin (15), Akok (20), Springs (5)
C: Whaley (20), Sanogo (15), Carlton (5)

Reaction Score
Our depth chart looks like this IMO. I am assuming everyone is healthy, and that Jackson will be on the Bouk plan to start over Polley eventually. I also believe I've heard Hurley say he'd like to max guys our at 25 mins a game so I'll stick with that.

1: RJ (25) -- Gaffney (15)
2: Bouk (25) -- Adams (10) -- Gaffney (5)
3: Polley (15) -- Jackson (20) -- Martin (5)
4: Akok (20) -- Martin (15) -- Springs (5)
5: Whaley (15) -- Sanogo (15) -- Carlton (10)

3-5 we have a really great rotation--tons of depth.

That all looks pretty good to me. Really exciting to having this much quality depth. I mean, being able to look at a guy as talented as Akok and say, "well, if he isn't ready we're good....". I'll be interested to see how starting PG shakes out. Will Cole unseat last year's starter? Also at C, does Carlton get back his form and unseat Whaley? Everyone involved will find their minutes.

What I'm hoping to see is that Bouk's 3-pt shooting has gone from OK to above average and that Cole can hit them too. Ability to score from three is one nagging question I might have.

I love the "beasting and feasting" that someone posted. A great description for what I think our frontcourt can do. We've to length, girth and some shotblocking. Rebounding looks like it should be a real strength.

Perhaps the one area I am outright concerned about is perimeter defense. This is where the loss of CV might hit us the most not to mention Gilbert. Can Cole get it done at this level? How much will Gaffney and Bouk be improved in this regard? We need to force missed threes so we can gobble up all those rebounds.

Reaction Score
I don't think we should really even be worrying about minutes. This team is so deep that Hurley can ride the hot hand for every position. If that means (for example) Gaffney or Cole plays 30 minutes one game and only 5 minutes the next, so be it. Whoever is playing winning basketball will get the minutes, that's the luxury of having a team this deep.

Reaction Score
Great news about Martin, the kid can play.

Whaley should start. He has certainly earned it. Any guy who puts up numbers like 13 and 8 over his last 5 games as a Junior is almost certain to start as a Senior.

Please don't get me wrong -- I love the contribution that he made down the stretch last year. But I would bet Carlton had a 5 game stretch as a Soph with numbers like this.

People will earn minutes, or fail to earn minutes, when practice starts. Whalley's finish to the season would mean if there's a scrimmage on day one, he'll play with the starters. But we have a ton of pieces in the frontcourt this year, and we'll have to see not just who plays the best in practice but whose skill sets fit with the team Hurley puts together and makes those around him better as a unit.

Reaction Score
Locked and loaded!

His eligibility, as a junior with two seasons left, adds to an already stacked Huskies roster. He joins incoming freshman Andre Jackson, Javonte Brown and Adama Sanogo for a major infusion of new talent. Martin is considered an elite defender, well-versed in Hurley’s aggressive style, and a scorer who can complement James Bouknight.

With Martin, all of UConn’s 13 scholarship players are currently eligible, giving Hurley more depth and the flexibility to redshirt another player if needed.

That last sentence - Does Dom know something we don't? Or is he just speculating?

Reaction Score
First thoughts on roles

This team has so many quality bodies with complementary skills we are just going to grind teams into dust in the second half of games. I bet 10 players are going to average 10+ Minutes. The frontcourt minutes will be particularly compressed and matchup based. If Akok is healthy and chooses not to redshirt, I could see Javonte Brown Ferguson redshirting. I mean where do you get minutes if you are him?

Starters(mins)
RJ Cole(30)
Bouk(30)
Jackson(20)
Porkchop/Poppers(20)
Carlton(15)

Bench(role)
Gaffney(First G off bench)
Polley(Shooter)
Martin(defense/rebounding)
Sanogo(Beasting & Feasting)
Akok(Injured)
Adams(All-purpose G)
Javonte Brown Ferguson(Redshirt?)
I thought Richie Springs was available this year too.

Reaction Score
Our depth chart looks like this IMO. I am assuming everyone is healthy, and that Jackson will be on the Bouk plan to start over Polley eventually. I also believe I've heard Hurley say he'd like to max guys our at 25 mins a game so I'll stick with that.

1: RJ (25) -- Gaffney (15)
2: Bouk (25) -- Adams (10) -- Gaffney (5)
3: Polley (15) -- Jackson (20) -- Martin (5)
4: Akok (20) -- Martin (15) -- Springs (5)
5: Whaley (15) -- Sanogo (15) -- Carlton (10)

3-5 we have a really great rotation--tons of depth.

I could see Whaley/Sanogo/Carlton getting anything between 5 and 25 minutes a night, just depending on the given matchups and the foul situation. What I put was really just based on Whaley's and Carlton's late season performance. If either increases their skillset (very possible with Carlton), this could change A LOT. So much competition in practice for these guys.

The 3 and the 4 are interesting too. They're pretty similar positions for us in our normal non-smallball lineups. So really it's just a matter of how to split up those 80 minutes.

Between Jackson/Martin/Akok/Polley SOMEONE is going to have to get the short end of the stick. My gut says it's probably Akok because of the injury and needing to work back to form, but I'm making this dpeth chart assuming everyone is healthy. I'd bump up Martin/Polley/Jackson minutes if he isn't ready. I can't imagine Polley getting any less than 15 minutes because of his shooting ability.

Have at it, Yard. I have something wrong, I'm sure.

Not sure I'd pencil in Akok to start over Whaley at the beginning of the season. Reasoning? Whaley's defense will be great whereas Akok may need time to feel comfortable enough to play with abandon. And, if Whaley improves his range this summer as much as he improved the accuracy of his outside shooting last summer he may be the better threat from 15 feet and beyond.
Springs is also a wild card. People say he's always shot well, handles well and is a rebounding ball magnet. If that's the case what a great headache he's going to give Hurley.
Also hard to see BA getting much time with so many other options. Defense may be the key for him.

Reaction Score
Locked and loaded!

His eligibility, as a junior with two seasons left, adds to an already stacked Huskies roster. He joins incoming freshman Andre Jackson, Javonte Brown and Adama Sanogo for a major infusion of new talent. Martin is considered an elite defender, well-versed in Hurley’s aggressive style, and a scorer who can complement James Bouknight.

With Martin, all of UConn’s 13 scholarship players are currently eligible, giving Hurley more depth and the flexibility to redshirt another player if needed.

That last sentence - Does Dom know something we don't? Or is he just speculating?

13 good players does create issues, especially if you're a very young, slender, big man.

Reaction Score
Locked and loaded!

Guessing Javonte Brown Ferguson has to be a redshirt candidate

Reaction Score
Not sure I'd pencil in Akok to start over Whaley at the beginning of the season. Reasoning? Whaley's defense will be great whereas Akok may need time to feel comfortable enough to play with abandon. And, if Whaley improves his range this summer as much as he improved the accuracy of his outside shooting last summer he may be the better threat from 15 feet and beyond.
Springs is also a wild card. People say he's always shot well, handles well and is a rebounding ball magnet. If that's the case what a great headache he's going to give Hurley.
Also hard to see BA getting much time with so many other options. Defense may be the key for him.

Whaley is a 5. He played 4 because every other 4 was hurt or terrible at basketball. I'd expect some minutes at the 4 just because of our depth at 5 against certain teams. And there's a good shot Akok is still recovering. Springs is the wild card--for sure. If he's improved, he'd play 4 over Whaley.

Sanogo could pitch in at the 4 too. He can't shoot worth a lick but moves the ball well on offense and is fine 15ft in with 1 dribble. Passes out of the high post really well too

Reaction Score
Locked and loaded!

Seems like speculation. They’ve got 13 eligible players, but one is coming off a serious injury and the other is a reclass freshman. Maybe Hurley decides to redshirt JB, but with some injuries of players currently (all seem ready to go by seasons start minus AA) and the uncertainty of Covid, it might just be worth it to keep all 13 eligible in case.

Either way adding another big wing who can rebound and defend is huge. It’s a big plus having another experienced, big body player on this roster that can play this season. Feels like this team is pretty deep and we need that. Depth can go quickly as we’ve seen, so I’m excited to see what hecan do.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

If Whaley doesn't start, there's something seriously wrong.
First thoughts on roles

This team has so many quality bodies with complementary skills we are just going to grind teams into dust in the second half of games. I bet 10 players are going to average 10+ Minutes. The frontcourt minutes will be particularly compressed and matchup based. If Akok is healthy and chooses not to redshirt, I could see Javonte Brown Ferguson redshirting. I mean where do you get minutes if you are him?

Starters(mins)
RJ Cole(30)
Bouk(30)
Jackson(20)
Porkchop/Poppers(20)
Carlton(15)

Bench(role)
Gaffney(First G off bench)
Polley(Shooter)
Martin(defense/rebounding)
Sanogo(Beasting & Feasting)
Akok(Injured)
Adams(All-purpose G)
Javonte Brown Ferguson(Redshirt?)
Given that he's still recovering from a mystery leg ailment and TM has experience, I don't see Andre starting early on.

Reaction Score
If Whaley doesn't start, there's something seriously wrong.

Given that he's still recovering from a mystery leg ailment and TM has experience, I don't see Andre starting early on.
Was told from someone who was playing with AJ (and some of the other UConn guys like Bouknight) that he tore his meniscus awhile back. Sounds like he’s fine now, but I’m with you in thinking AJ probably won’t start right away. Martin will probably start. Guessing by seasons end AJ will be getting good minutes tho.

Also as a side note: it sounds like Bouk has had a good summer. Some of the local college kids from the area play including him and some others. Interestingly enough, was told from a few guys that Jaiden Delaire from Stanford (Loomis Chaffee product and former top 100 guy)is looking like a beast. Keep an eye out on him this season, Stanford should be really solid.

Reaction Score
Please don't get me wrong -- I love the contribution that he made down the stretch last year. But I would bet Carlton had a 5 game stretch as a Soph with numbers like this.

Josh averaged 14 and 9 over his last five games as a sophomore, and that includes the total egg he laid against USF.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I think people are sleeping on Polley. If he is ready to play and recovered (when season rolls around), he has 3 point shooting, size , and played like a maniac the game before his injury. I think Tyler Phommachanh would be rewarded with the starting position.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Figuring out a starting lineup is going to be impossible. Depending on when the season starts AJ, Tyler Phommachanh, BA, AA all may have to be eased into roles like Gaff last year. Bouk and Cole are probably the only real locks. That leaves 3 spots. Whaley earned that 4 spot. I think Sanogo wins the starting center spot. That leaves AJ, Polley, Martin battling for the wing spot. Although they could even go with a 3 guard look and start Gaff.

Thank god AJ didn’t choose Syracuse where he would actually have to compete for a starting roll.:D

Reaction Score
The NCAA’s decision on Wednesday to grant an immediate eligibility waiver to Rhode Island transfer Tyrese Martin for the upcoming season means that Hurley and the Huskies now have another starting caliber wing in their program.

It also means that they’re ready to be a national factor this season.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom