Tyrese Martin Waiver Approved! | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tyrese Martin Waiver Approved!

Reaction Score
This is more important than many believe. One of our problems the two years before last one were lack of guards on the roster. Not quality guards, just guards. Leaving us where guards could never be taken out to get a rest, or be sent a message, but had to play because there were no options, and forcing us at times into larger lineups than we would have liked.

Before yesterday, we had Cole, Gaffney and Bouk. Plus an injured Adams, plus an injured AJ who people were counting on to be able to give us some minutes at the 2 without it being at all clear that offensively he could do that. Now we have at least a 4th body. How could we have gone small, with Bouk at the 3, very often if we only had 3 healthy guards in uniform?

I'm neither knocking Martin or predicting he'll have a huge impact, but with the waiver just his presence eliminates what was shaping up to be a risk.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
I am truly surprised. This proves, beyond a doubt, that 2020 is truly upside down.
There is zero doubt in my mind that if Ollie was still coach, this waiver would have been denied.

Reaction Score
You mean Whaley? I can't see us starting both Carlton/Whaley again unless we are playing a huge team. Neither one has the ability to stretch the offense at their positions.

I don't mean Whaley

Reaction Score
There is zero doubt in my mind that if Ollie was still coach, this waiver would have been denied.

Not having read the waiver application myself, I can't say for sure, but based on how the rest of these have gone, I'd bet that the reason that Martin is eligible is because David Cox (technically fraudulently) signed off on Martin being "forced out." Have to think Hurley's relationship with Cox played a role there. It's nice that Cox isn't a vindictive jerk.

Reaction Score
One takeaway is Rothstein thinks Martin can play.
Martin was 2nd on URI in Usage Rate. He won’t need be anywhere near 2nd on this roster, which should help his efficiency. He was a positive impact player (4th in BPM) for URI and should be here as well. Our SOS wasn’t much better than theirs last year.

When you have a deep roster like this, it’s easier to find someone in the bunch who is feeling it on any given night. I don’t think he’s a star this year, but he makes the team better without question.

Reaction Score
Martin was 2nd on URI in Usage Rate. He won’t need be anywhere near 2nd on this roster, which should help his efficiency. He was a positive impact player (4th in BPM) for URI and should be here as well. Our SOS wasn’t much better than theirs last year.

When you have a deep roster like this, it’s easier to find someone in the bunch who is feeling it on any given night. I don’t think he’s a star this year, but he makes the team better without question.

I watched a bunch of URI games after he committed, and while he was pretty streaky, he definitely had some really hot runs from 3. Having a wing who can shoot, defend, and rebound is pretty clutch.

Reaction Score
Great news about Martin, the kid can play.

Whaley should start. He has certainly earned it. Any guy who puts up numbers like 13 and 8 over his last 5 games as a Junior is almost certain to start as a Senior.

Reaction Score
I watched a bunch of URI games after he committed, and while he was pretty streaky, he definitely had some really hot runs from 3. Having a wing who can shoot, defend, and rebound is pretty clutch.
Yeah that’s where my head is at too. And when he’s off from 3, I don’t think he’s going to keep forcing up shots when he’s sharing the court with more shot makers than solely Fatts Russell.

Edit: that last sentence was actually unfair to Dowtin

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The NCAA, due to the present situation, will not upset the boat and will approve virtually every exception to avoid any negative reaction for any reason.
Had this been a regular time - no way does this happen
I am very happy for Tyrese - these kids want to play and he can be a help for this squad
Congrats TM

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
This is huge. I was a bit worried about our defensive backcourt but this fills at least some of the CV void.

Hurley has a great problem at his hands in terms of PT. I’d think he goes upperclassmen to start the season, then let the young guys work to steal the minutes away.
Cole
Martin
Bouk
Polley
Whaley (or Carlton depending on his progression from last season)

I don’t think Hurley likes starting Carlton and Whaley together, and I don’t think that’s our best lineup, but I think that’s what it will be. Maybe Adams will sneak in there over Martin.

By the end of the season I hope it’s
Cole/Gaff (tossup for me, I think Gaffney has much higher upside)
Bouknight
Jackson
Sanogo
Springs/Whaley

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Not having read the waiver application myself, I can't say for sure, but based on how the rest of these have gone, I'd bet that the reason that Martin is eligible is because David Cox (technically fraudulently) signed off on Martin being "forced out." Have to think Hurley's relationship with Cox played a role there. It's nice that Cox isn't a vindictive jerk.
True. Mullin definitely was pissed about Wilson

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
This is good, this is very good.
This post is even better when you imagine it being said by Mr. Burns.

Reaction Score
Our depth chart looks like this IMO. I am assuming everyone is healthy, and that Jackson will be on the Bouk plan to start over Polley eventually. I also believe I've heard Hurley say he'd like to max guys our at 25 mins a game so I'll stick with that.

1: RJ (25) -- Gaffney (15)
2: Bouk (25) -- Adams (10) -- Gaffney (5)
3: Polley (15) -- Jackson (20) -- Martin (5)
4: Akok (20) -- Martin (15) -- Springs (5)
5: Whaley (15) -- Sanogo (15) -- Carlton (10)

3-5 we have a really great rotation--tons of depth.

I could see Whaley/Sanogo/Carlton getting anything between 5 and 25 minutes a night, just depending on the given matchups and the foul situation. What I put was really just based on Whaley's and Carlton's late season performance. If either increases their skillset (very possible with Carlton), this could change A LOT. So much competition in practice for these guys.

The 3 and the 4 are interesting too. They're pretty similar positions for us in our normal non-smallball lineups. So really it's just a matter of how to split up those 80 minutes.

Between Jackson/Martin/Akok/Polley SOMEONE is going to have to get the short end of the stick. My gut says it's probably Akok because of the injury and needing to work back to form, but I'm making this dpeth chart assuming everyone is healthy. I'd bump up Martin/Polley/Jackson minutes if he isn't ready. I can't imagine Polley getting any less than 15 minutes because of his shooting ability.

Have at it, Yard. I have something wrong, I'm sure.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom