Tyrese Martin NBA Prospect | The Boneyard

Tyrese Martin NBA Prospect

Reaction Score
He’s having a great season and playing very consistently on the offensive and defensive end. He shoots about 45% from 3, has good size and strength- could he potentially play himself into a role in the NBA?

Reaction Score
He’s having a great season and playing very consistently on the offensive and defensive end. He shoots about 45% from 3, has good size and strength- could he potentially play himself into a role in the NBA?

No. He isn't a 45% 3 point shooter--he had a hot streak and it's on very small sample size, and he can't shoot off the dribble. He's definitely better than he was at URI... he's probably more like a 35-40% shooter. Good, but not exceptional. He may get a workout or a shot in the g-league, but he isn't gonna be a staple in the league with his skill set at 6'6 215 IMO.

Reaction Score
You won't find a bigger Tyrese Martin fan than me, but I never thought of him as an NBA level talent. Seems to fit the mold of a good overseas player. I hope I'm wrong though!

There’s always a need for a guy who can defend 1-4, hit open shots, and is a tough expletive. Parlay that with like one or two big tournament performances and you never know

Reaction Score
No. He isn't a 45% 3 point shooter--he had a hot streak and it's on very small sample size, and he can't shoot off the dribble. He's definitely better than he was at URI... he's probably more like a 35-40% shooter. Good, but not exceptional. He may get a workout or a shot in the g-league, but he isn't gonna be a staple in the league with his skill set at 6'6 215 IMO.
He is kind of a classic tweener, Too small for the three and lacking guard skills. The NBA is a cruel place. But never day never.

Reaction Score
You won't find a bigger Tyrese Martin fan than me, but I never thought of him as an NBA level talent. Seems to fit the mold of a good overseas player. I hope I'm wrong though!
You’re right. He’s the type that could be on a summer league team or a g league roster but is better off making good money for a decade overseas. He is strong and can defend but he is not a good finisher, doesn’t have a variety of moves, and while he jumps high in space he is not athletic in traffic at all.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
No. Not even close. He can probably make some medium to high leagues overseas and make a few million before he's age 30 if he's willing to play in those leagues and some of those cities.

But he's not collecting an NBA paycheck.

Reaction Score
While I agree with most of your points- for the year he is 28/62 from 3 for 45%. Pretty decent sample size to me. He is much improved in that area over last year. I agree with most that he is probably better suited for an overseas career.

Reaction Score
TM would have to improve in a number of areas to become an NBA draft pick. But whenever a poster says that a player --like TM-- who is not currently NBA material, may become an NBA prospect, that poster is immediately informed that is impossible for that Husky player to improve enough to ever sniff the NBA.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I would love to see it as I would for most every UConn player within reason. However, there are many Martins out there who, because of size or certain lack of skills, are very good college D1 players yet just aren't up to NBA standards. I wish him the best but I think his money making potential is highest overseas.

Reaction Score
Donny Marshall sees a lot of himself in Tyrese. Donny played some NBA ball, albeit in a much different era. 3 and D?

Reaction Score
Tyrese will definitely play in Summer League and the G-League (assuming that's what he wants). Hopefully he can parlay that into a cup of coffee in the league, try to earn a chance to stick around. It will take a lot of hard work and some luck as well. Hope it happens for him.

This is also a guy who worked in a factory during COVID to help support his family, so wouldn't be surprised if he takes Overseas money over the G-League route. Either way gonna have a great career making money playing basketball.

BoukofJames

“Business. Always business.”
Reaction Score
If he was better at free throws he could get more people to believe he’s a real shooter. 66% for his career and this year’s number is in line. That being said he’s been so good this year, I think in many cases he needs to be our closer

Reaction Score
He can but a lot of times fades away and doesn't go up strong. He definitely one of 2 players on our team who shoot off the dribble. The other is Cole. The problem is both are not real effective when doing so unless they get on a hot streak. Though I don't see him as NBA talent either. Maybe he can catch on a camp and impress and be a player of all trades. That would be the only way he would stick.

Reaction Score
Hes at 45% but just because you think so we should just consider him 35-40%? SMH. Why track stats?

Daz

Reaction Score
Martin should make a nice living playing somewhere but my sleeper NBA pick is Whaley.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He won’t be drafted but I’ll guess that his size and shooting this year will convince someone to bring him and take a look during camp/summer league.
Agree. He's worth seeing in a workout and summer league. I think we underestimate his hops. He's a great rebounder for a reason. His biggest improvement this year isn't shooting, it's ball handling. He's bringing the ball up the court, especially on the break and doing a good job passing as well. I can see him getting a G league spot.

Somebody in this thread called him a tweener. The modern NBA loves nothing quite as much as it loves tweeners. His size/strength is almost ideal.

Reaction Score
Needs work on his ball handling. Not sure he can get away with driving the lane and putting up his crazy layups.

His athletic ability and hops will get him a look.

I think he will be a G player at best.

Reaction Score
Hes at 45% but just because you think so we should just consider him 35-40%? SMH. Why track stats?

Do you understand what sample size is? He started last season at 45% too and ended up with poor streak to end the season at 32%. He shot 31% and 32% his first two season as well. He isn't a 45% 3 point shooter because his career percentage is 34%.

He's obviously improved as a shooter, but if you seriously think an NBA GM is seriously going to consider this kid a 45% 3pt shooter when they look at prospects, you're delusional.

Reaction Score
Agree. He's worth seeing in a workout and summer league. I think we underestimate his hops. He's a great rebounder for a reason. His biggest improvement this year isn't shooting, it's ball handling. He's bringing the ball up the court, especially on the break and doing a good job passing as well. I can see him getting a G league spot.

Somebody in this thread called him a tweener. The modern NBA loves nothing quite as much as it loves tweeners. His size/strength is almost ideal.

The few people saying Tyrese isn't a good athlete are delusional. The kid is strong as an ox, faster than most players in the big east, and has tons of hops. He isn't a literal human freak of nature like Andre, but he's probably the second or third best pure athlete on our team full of unbelievable athletes.

I think he gets g-league or summer league shot and a long career overseas. He'll make a decent living at this if he wants to.

Agree on his ballhandling. With Gaffney so inconsistent, his steadiness breaking the press is one of the few things helping RJ keep his sanity at this point, I'd think.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I just don't quite see it.

He's a little too small to be a stretch-4 3-and-D kind of guy (and not quite pure enough a shooter) and he doesn't quite have the handle and explosiveness to fit as a guard.

What's his comp? Like a Draymond Green without the passing ability?

Reaction Score
Yeah, I just don't quite see it.

He's a little too small to be a stretch-4 3-and-D kind of guy (and not quite pure enough a shooter) and he doesn't quite have the handle and explosiveness to fit as a guard.

What's his comp? Like a Draymond Green without the passing ability?
Someone in another thread mentioned Jae Crowder which I kinda like. Tyrese is quite a bit leaner though, less able to play the 4.

I've watched a lot of Hornets basketball this year so I'll throw out Cody Martin, who has turned himself into a good NBA player. Versatile 3&D guard at 6'5" who can guard multiple positions, shoots three's, and create some offense. Same last name too! Cody Martin is certainly a better playmaker at this point though. His twin brother is having a great season in Miami as well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom